Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Asus Transformer T100 2 in 1 hybrid with Quad Core Bay Trail; Also TF701 in October

Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Asus Transformer T100 2 in 1 hybrid with Quad Core Bay Trail; Also TF701 in October

We have a couple of interesting news bites from Asus for you today. The first one isn't Android related, but it is tablet related and worth a gander. According to the video above (which is a bit painful to watch because of the heavy accent from the speaker), Asus will soon introduce a product called the Transformer Model T100, which is a 2 in 1 hybrid. This Windows 8 based device will supposedly come with the new Quad-Core Bay Trail processor from Intel. Furthermore, this new Asus-made tablet will likely sport an 11 hours run time with the dock. It could come later this month or in October.

It will be interesting to see just how much power the Quad-Core Bay Trail from Intel can dish out. (Incidentally, there is also word that Toshiba's Encore 8" Bay Trail tablet will come out by either end of October or early November and Dell is also coming out with a 8" Venue Bay Trail tablet in October).

The other bit of news from Asus today is that the new TF701 Transformer Pad Infinity they recently announced could also be coming in October. Nothing has been officially confirmed regarding this, but we will keep you updated if/when we find out more.

Thanks for the tip, zeo!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Update...

Asus introduces the $349 Transformer Book T100 convertible tablet with Bay Trail - Liliputing

Pricing will be just $349 for the 32GB model and $399 for the 64GB model, both of which includes the Keyboard Dock!

Due out Late October...

The basic specs are as follows...

-1.33 GHz Intel Atom Z3740 quad-core processor, with turbo boosts up to 1.86 GHz.

-10.1 inch, 1366 x 768 pixel IPS touchscreen display (could have been higher but okay for a 10.1)

-Windows 8.1, with MS Office Home & Student 2013 (MS is giving it free for any tablet device 10.8" and smaller)

-2GB of RAM (uses a dual-channel (2x64-bit) LP-DDR3 memory interface), with either 32GB or 64GB of storage (uses the latest v4.5 eMMC).

-1.2MP front facing camera

-Total weight is just 2.4 pounds and measures 0.93 inches thick, but tablet is 0.4 inches thick and 1.2 pounds (550g) with full dimensions of 10.4" x 6.7" x 0.41".

-Ports include 1 micro USB port, microSD card reader, micro HDMI port, and combo audio jack. Keyboard Dock adds USB 3.0 port...

-Integrated 31Wh battery

ASUS claims they used the Thinkpad and MacBook keyboards as the benchmarks to evaluate the T100 against.

Additional information links...

Intel Atom Z3740 Tablet SoC - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Intel Atom Z3770 Tablet SoC - NotebookCheck.net Tech

AnandTech | The Bay Trail Preview: Intel Atom Z3770 Tested

Btw, the Anandtech review shows the Z3770 can rival the AMD Kabini A4-5000 for CPU performance but the Kabini is a 15W APU SoC... So Bay Trail has a huge performance per watt advantage...

Graphically, it wasn't as impressive as it'll only provide about graphical performance as say the present iPad's quad GPU and they're set to double that performance with the A7... but it's definitely better than any previous ATOM and should be good enough for most...
    Last edited by zeo; 09-13-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    dgstorm and MA83 like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    super excited about this tab!!!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    13 times
    Me too. My next machine will wither be this guy or a Haswell Surface pro. Can't wait to try this one out and get some real world performance numbers. I've got a feeling the Surface pro will run about twice as much, so this could well be my choice.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsf3g View Post
    Me too. My next machine will wither be this guy or a Haswell Surface pro. Can't wait to try this one out and get some real world performance numbers. I've got a feeling the Surface pro will run about twice as much, so this could well be my choice.
    Yeah, MS reduced the pricing of the Surface Pro by $100 and it seems that will be the permanent pricing but that's still without the keyboard/cover and that brings it to over double... Though, if you decide on the Surface Pro anyway then you should probably wait a bit extra because sometime after its release MS plans to release a new Power Keyboard Cover that'll integrate a battery for extra run time...

Since the RT model doesn't have the extra power pins on the bottom, it means only Pro users will benefit from that change...

While this Asus T100 doesn't appear to have a battery in its dock, the 31WHr battery in the tablet is still a WHr higher capacity than what the Surface RT has and it's looking like Bay Trail may not use any more power than Clover Trail... which translates to even better battery life than the Surface RT... So it should get pretty close to the claimed 11 hours...

Mind, this Z3740 version of Bay Trail is only being released with 2GB of RAM and is slightly below the performance of the Z3770 that Anandtech benchmarked... Hopefully, Asus will offer a version with the Z3770 as well and maybe up to 4GB of RAM for a little more better compromise between getting this versus something like the Haswell updated Surface Pro...
    MA83 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm wondering if the keyboard dock from my T201 will work with this one. Interesting they are going with a combo.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB53 View Post
    I'm wondering if the keyboard dock from my T201 will work with this one. Interesting they are going with a combo.
    Well, with the full desktop and MS Office Home & Student 2013 it's good to keep a keyboard handy and Asus probably intends the appeal to be combo tablet/netbook type usage... Mind there are still people using netbooks and this would probably make for a good replacement/upgrade with right combination of features, size, weight, and price...

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    I'll reserve judgement until I can touch it, but it looks good a that price point.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until I can touch it, but it looks good a that price point.
    Agreed, though it's interesting they decided to put it under the Transformer branding this time instead of under the Vivo Tab branding... and that also makes it the first non-Android Transformer, since it's running full Windows 8...

Hopefully, it won't confuse too many consumers... though, the intent may be that Asus wants to keep us on our toes and not get complacent in what to expect from them...
    helpifIcan likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Some more examples of Bay Trail performance...

MA83 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links