Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Asus Transformer T100 2 in 1 hybrid with Quad Core Bay Trail; Also TF701 in October

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Those are pretty impressive! Looks like a great low priced tab for sure. The only problem I've got is that I don't know if I want a 10" or one of the upcoming 8" tabs...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    And some more examples... Note, the Intel reference tablet is running on the Bay Trail T quad core Z3770 (same SoC as Anandtech tested), with the max 4GB of RAM, a really large drive with 438GB available, and the screen resolution is max supported at 2560x1600... So won't represent the average consumer tablet but shows what's possible for the platform...

And they're pushing for apps to start taking advantage of the new performance too...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MA83 View Post
    Those are pretty impressive! Looks like a great low priced tab for sure. The only problem I've got is that I don't know if I want a 10" or one of the upcoming 8" tabs...
    Have you ever used a UMPC before? Mind, if you go for a sub 10" tablet and it's running Windows then the user experience would be much like using a UMPC... The ModernUI would work fine in those conditions but the traditional desktop becomes a issue and you usually won't have a easy to connect keyboard dock like you can get with the 10" and larger tablets.

Even the keyboard Acer offers for their W3 tablet is basically just a wireless keyboard that lets you either rest the tablet at a preset angle that you can't change or snaps to it for easier storage for travel... and the keyboard is much larger than the tablet...

So it depends on your intended usage... a fully touch optimized OS like Android may be preferable if you intend to use it as a mobile tablet...

Bay Trail can do both but the OS it comes pre-installed with should be a consideration... unless you opt for a desktop dock that lets you use the tablet like a desktop... then the small tablet can make more sense as something that's easier to carry but can still be used for productivity when you need it... as long you're set up for it...

For most, I think the 10" would be the good enough compromise between mobility and still being able to do some productivity on the go... without the added cost of setting up a workstation area for it to be docked or having to carry a lot of accessories that make mobility less practical...
    Last edited by zeo; 09-16-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Those are definitely issues I'm considering when taking into account my purchase. To be honest though, I'm not going to be using the full desktop mode very much anyways. I don't really have any legacy programs to install. I merely prefer the MS OS better than Android. But I have been using my ASUS TF101 a lot more again lately and am reconsidering my smaller tab preference. Especially for that price with a keyboard. However, the Z3770 with 4GB of RAM would be even nicer. I'd be willing to pay $500-$550 for such a tab with dock.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MA83 View Post
    However, the Z3770 with 4GB of RAM would be even nicer. I'd be willing to pay $500-$550 for such a tab with dock.
    Yeah, the the Z3770 with 4GB of RAM would be more useful for a Windows 8 tablet... Though, I'm pretty sure the pricing won't exceed $500 for that configuration unless they add additional features like a WACOM digitizer and/or move to a larger size system, or just added a lot more storage capacity...

The nice thing about these new Bay Trail devices is OEMs have learned their lesson from the 1st generation Windows 8 tablets and gained more experience designing them. So, overall costs are going to be at least a bit lower and Bay Trail itself is being heavily pushed by Intel and that will usually mean lower pricing than Clover Trail... The dual core Z2760 Clover Trail for example only had a Tray pricing of $41 at minimum quantities and large orders means pricing only gets lower per unit.

Mind, both the Z3740 and the Z3770 are quad cores... leaving mainly just clock speed and what supported configurations each will be sold with and those don't effect pricing too much.

Though, we still have to be wary of some OEMs selling the max spec models for a premium... especially, if they are first to market but that will eventually get countered by competition...
    MA83 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Faster than my Surface RT and Infinity.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Yeah, the the Z3770 with 4GB of RAM would be more useful for a Windows 8 tablet... Though, I'm pretty sure the pricing won't exceed $500 for that configuration unless they add additional features like a WACOM digitizer and/or move to a larger size system, or just added a lot more storage capacity...

The nice thing about these new Bay Trail devices is OEMs have learned their lesson from the 1st generation Windows 8 tablets and gained more experience designing them. So, overall costs are going to be at least a bit lower and Bay Trail itself is being heavily pushed by Intel and that will usually mean lower pricing than Clover Trail... The dual core Z2760 Clover Trail for example only had a Tray pricing of $41 at minimum quantities and large orders means pricing only gets lower per unit.

Mind, both the Z3740 and the Z3770 are quad cores... leaving mainly just clock speed and what supported configurations each will be sold with and those don't effect pricing too much.

Though, we still have to be wary of some OEMs selling the max spec models for a premium... especially, if they are first to market but that will eventually get countered by competition...
    That's great to hear! Although a WACOM digitizer would be a kick ass decision as well!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I see the selling price of our TF700T has dropped $30 in the last week, now at $334 for 32 gb tab+dock. My Gadgets | eBay

Not sure if this is from too many of us selling them or the buyers are also anticipating the new tabs.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know whether the device will handle a digital stylus or similar hand-writing device.
    If this one will not, which ASUS line should I look at?
    With thanks.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Fogey48 View Post
    Does anyone know whether the device will handle a digital stylus or similar hand-writing device.
    If this one will not, which ASUS line should I look at?
    With thanks.
    The Asus Transformer Book T100 is a budget model offering... meaning it won't have premium features like a WACOM digitizer for pen usage. Typically, it's the much more expensive tablets that offer such features.

The Asus Vivo Tab TF810C for example offered the pen but the pricing, especially with the keyboard dock added, equaled to exceeded the starting price of the MS Surface Pro, which is another product that offers the pen... along with the Lenovo Thinkpad 2, etc.

Models updated with Bay Trail are still pending, so there aren't any options right now that aren't running on older hardware...

However, there are alternatives... like 3rd party USB pens that can provide most of the same functionality but I'd suggest just waiting a bit as updated models should eventually come out...

Update... looks like Sharp will be coming out with perhaps the first Bay Trail W8 tablet with pen, along with a UHD screen, but it doesn't look like they will be selling that model world wide... but it should be a indication that we should start seeing models offered by other companies relatively soon...
    Last edited by zeo; 09-30-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads