Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Asus Announcement 4: New Transformer Pad Infinity with Retina Level Display

Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Asus Announcement 4: New Transformer Pad Infinity with Retina Level Display

Here's our next Asus device and it's a doozy. They have one-upped themselves with a new Transformer Pad Infinity. The new version of the device will likely be the most powerful new Android tablet to hit the market later this year. It will be coming with a 1.9GHz Tegra 4 quad-core chipset. It will also come sporting a phenomenal 10.1-inch "Retina Level Display." Here's the full spec breakdown,
    • 10.1-inch 2,560 x 1,600 display
    • NVIDIA’s quad-core Tegra 4 chipset clocked at 1.9GHz
    • 2GB of RAM
    • 5 megapixel rear camera
    • 1.2 megapixel front camera
    • 32Gb of internal storage
    • Bluetooth 3.0
    • USB 3.0, an SD card slot (probably part of the dock)
    • HDMI-out with support for 4K video

As you can see, Asus isn't pulling any punches with this killer device. We can't wait to get our hands on one. Again they didn't share pricing or launch timeframe for this device, but we suspect it will be pretty pricey and hit the streets in the second half of this year. We will share those details as soon as we get them.
    eejit and Mimo like this.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    As you can see, Asus isn't pulling any punches with this killer device.
    I'm not sure I agree with that.. it looks to me like Asus is indeed pulling some punches:

5 megapixel rear camera
    1.2 megapixel front camera
    32GB of internal storage

These are all step-backs compared to my 64 GB TF700T device, with its 8 megapixel rear camera, and 2 megapixel front camera. They are both great improvements compared to my TF201, the TF700T camera takes much better pictures and has much better video for Skype sessions - I didn't expect that and it came as a very pleasant surprise.
    The new device looks like a throwback to the TF201 w.r.t. cameras and storage.
    Presumably there'll be a 64 GB variant later, but it surprises me that the initial variant has only 32 GB. The main reason I bought the TF700T was because the capacity of the TF201 started to create problems for me (admittedly it also mattered that the microSD slot on the TF201 is mis-designed so I gave up adding storage that way - the card kept popping out).
    I would be surprised if there won't be a later variant with 64GB EMMC, but reverting back to the TF201 cameras makes me surprised and disappointed.

-Tor
    Torresjoe77, Nossy23 and bopfan like this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with that.. it looks to me like Asus is indeed pulling some punches:

5 megapixel rear camera
    1.2 megapixel front camera
    32GB of internal storage

These are all step-backs compared to my 64 GB TF700T device, with its 8 megapixel rear camera, and 2 megapixel front camera. They are both great improvements compared to my TF201, the TF700T camera takes much better pictures and has much better video for Skype sessions - I didn't expect that and it came as a very pleasant surprise.
    The new device looks like a throwback to the TF201 w.r.t. cameras and storage.
    Presumably there'll be a 64 GB variant later, but it surprises me that the initial variant has only 32 GB. The main reason I bought the TF700T was because the capacity of the TF201 started to create problems for me (admittedly it also mattered that the microSD slot on the TF201 is mis-designed so I gave up adding storage that way - the card kept popping out).
    I would be surprised if there won't be a later variant with 64GB EMMC, but reverting back to the TF201 cameras makes me surprised and disappointed.

-Tor
    Megapixels aren't everything, the 5MP camera in the iPad is better than the 8MP in my Infinity, so for all you know, it may have better quality, like the HTC One is only 4MP and better than most phones

and 1.2MP is still more than 720p so should still be capable of recording it

Not quite sure about the 32GB, that is strange, seeing as Apple and others are bumping up to 128GB

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Megapixels aren't everything, the 5MP camera in the iPad is better than the 8MP in my Infinity, so for all you know, it may have better quality, like the HTC One is only 4MP and better than most phones

and 1.2MP is still more than 720p so should still be capable of recording it

Not quite sure about the 32GB, that is strange, seeing as Apple and others are bumping up to 128GB
    Very true, this is a 0.32 MP photo of a seagull that I took. Still looks stunning:

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    Megapixels aren't everything
    That's absolutely true, and something I argue myself. Certainly the 8MP of my Ricoh Caplio R5 compact camera was a terrible disappointment compared to the 6.1MP of the otherwise similar Caplio R4 model which I replaced back then.
    However, the Infinity cameras really are much, much better than the Prime cameras.

Actually I re-checked the specs of the TF201.. the front camera is 1.2 megapixels and that really is too low - Skype video and other video conversation apps I have tried perform badly on the TF201 compared to the TF700T. However, specs claim that the TF201 back camera is also 8 megapixels, as the TF700T - I thought it was only 5. But the TF700T camera is much bigger, so maybe that's what makes the difference. The TF201 pictures are in any case much grainier. The chip may be bigger and better (with the same megapixels) in the TF700T.

So the 5 MP camera announced for this new device may be a completely new camera, it would be interesting to take a closer look at it to see the size etc. Still, 5 megapixels is not much, even taking into account that megapixels aren't everything.. my Nokia N900 has a Zeiss 5 megapixel camera, and was considered one of the best mobile phone cameras back when it came out. Now I only use that camera for emergencies, it can't compare anymore.
    We'll have to wait for the first reviews I guess. They don't tend to test video conferencing quality much though.

-Tor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    I will probably buy this if I can use the keyboard on my TF700. The IO completely kills that device and if this one can solve it them I'm interested.
    The form factor is perfect for me and it really came into its own on a recent holiday. The extra resolution might be overkill but I will wait and see.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    It's a very common marketing strategy when introducing a new product to leave room for future upgrades in both capability and price.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Let's face it, if you want to take serious photos tablets are still pretty inconvenient. My phone has a 13 MP rear camera and much easier to use in a pinch. Tablets weren't intended to take the place of a camera, and now not a phone either.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    but why no 64 gb or 128 gb version? why no 11-12 inch screen? I think there is room to fit these screens by thining out the thick bezel. why not blutooth 4?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    55 times

Asus Announcement 4: New Transformer Pad Infinity with Retina Level Display

It's nice to see them announce a new transformer tab but not enough for me to upgrade to it. I like that this new one has 2gbs of ram though. This should've been in the TF-700.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links