Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Asus Announcement 3: ASUS Transformer Book Trio - Android & Windows 8 Hybrid Device

Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Asus Announcement 3: ASUS Transformer Book Trio - Android & Windows 8 Hybrid Device

Our next big announcement from Asus is an unusual and innovative device. It's called the Asus Transformer Book Trio and it is basically a notebook/tablet hybrid device that runs both Android and Windows 8. This baby doesn't skimp on power either. Here's a spec breakdown,
    • Intel’s Core i7 chipset inside the notebook for the Windows side of things
    • A 2GHz Intel ATOM-based Z2580 chipset for the Android tablet part
    • 11.6 inch 1080p display
    • 64GB of flash storage in the tablet portion
    • 1TB hard drive inside the dock/notebook
    • The dock/notebook includes its own bigger battery separate from the one in the tablet

As is the case with some of the previous devices Asus announced, pricing and timeframes were not shared just yet. Here's the press release,

Chairman Jonney Shih introduces the Transformer Book Trio and other revolutionary products that transform consumers’ expectations of technology

Computex, Taipei, Taiwan (3 June, 2013) — ASUS today announced incredible new products at it’s “We Transform” Computex 2013 press event that transform consumers’ expectations about technology. Chairman Jonney Shih revealed the ASUS way of Design Thinking and introduced an entire line of innovative devices designed to simplify today’s digital lifestyle.

“We seek to perfect the balance between engineering and humanity, where every intricate detail echoes our needs for both emotion and function,” said ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih. “This is the ASUS way of Design Thinking, where every idea starts with people and we turn our imagination into myriad revolutionary innovations.”

The ASUS Transformer Book Trio is an innovative combination of notebook, tablet and desktop PC for unparalleled flexibility in work, play, and social activity, while the new Transformer Pad Infinity is the world’s first NVIDIA® Tegra® 4 tablet with a stunning 2560 x 1600 resolution display. ASUS also announced two new handheld devices, the 6-inch Fonepad™Note FHD 6 tablet with 3G voice-calling and the 7-inch MeMO Pad HD 7 value tablet with an MSRP of US$129. The ultra-compact VivoPC desktop, the VivoMouse wireless mouse with built-in multi-touch touchpad and the world’s first AC1900 router, the RT-AC68U, were also unveiled.

ASUS Transformer Book Trio — transforming expectations for notebooks
    The ASUS Transformer Book Trio is the world’s first three-in-one mobile device. With an 11.6-inch detachable display and dual operating systems, Transformer Book Trio transforms mobile flexibility by switching effortlessly between a Windows 8 notebook, Android tablet and Windows 8 desktop PC. Transformer Book Trio switches easily between operating systems to give users access to over 700,000 apps in the Google Play Store and over 50,000 apps in the Windows Store.

Despite the different operating systems, the Transformer Book Trio has been designed to smoothly transition between modes, allowing users to sync data or continue to surf the webpage they’re on even when moving from notebook to tablet mode.

The PC Station dock has its own 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor, keyboard and 750GB hard drive, and with the tablet display detached, can be hooked up to an external display for use as a desktop PC. The PC Station also serves as a charger for the tablet for extended battery life. The tablet features a 2.0 GHz Intel® Atom™ processor and a 16:9 aspect ratio IPS display with Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution and up to 64GB storage.

New ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity — transforming expectations for tablets
    The New Transformer Pad Infinity is the first in ASUS range of innovative dual-purpose mobile devices to feature a 1.9GHz NVIDIA® Tegra® 4 mobile processor with quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU and 72-core GeForce® GPU. The 10.1-inch LED backlit display has an ultra-sharp 2560 x 1600 resolution with IPS technology for 178-degree wide viewing angles, plus 10-point multi-touch for smooth and responsive fingertip control. ASUS SonicMaster-enhanced audio completes the mobile tablet entertainment experience. The redesigned keyboard dock now features a multi-touch touchpad, USB 3.0 and an SDXC card reader, and gives longer battery life when the tablet is docked.

ASUS MeMO Pad™ HD 7
    ASUS MeMO Pad™ HD 7 is an incredible value 7-inch tablet with an MSRP of US$129 for 8GB capacity and US$149 for 16GB. MeMO Pad™ HD 7 weighs just 302g and has a quad-core processor, plus a 10-point multi-touch 1280 x 800 IPS display with 170-degree wide viewing angles. MeMO Pad™ HD 7 also features ASUS SonicMaster audio technology, and a front 1.2-megapixel camera and optional 5-megapixel rear-facing camera. It’s available in dark blue, white, pink and green colors.

ASUS Fonepad Note™ FHD 6
    Part 3G smartphone, part tablet, ASUS Fonepad™ Note FHD 6 comes with a 1.6GHz Intel® Atom™ Z2560 dual-core processor and 1920 x 1080 Full HD Super IPS+ display. With a display brightness of 450 nits, ASUS Fonepad™ Note FHD 6 can be used outdoors in bright sunshine, while front-facing stereo speakers with ASUS SonicMaster technology ensure high-quality high-definition audio. ASUS Fonepad™ Note FHD 6 also includes a stylus for quick and accurate handwritten input.

ASUS VivoPC — transform Expectations- for home computing
    ASUS VivoPC is a wireless media center designed to provide HD Wi-Fi audio and video streaming through a high-speed 802.11ac connection. Its compact design sports a spun-metal finish, ASUS SonicMaster audio technology and two USB 3.0 ports. ASUS VivoPC also features SATA 6GB/s and easy internal access for upgrades.

ASUS VivoMouse
    ASUS VivoMouse is a combined touchpad, mouse and PC remote designed to bring the Windows 8 touch experience to PCs without a touch display. VivoMouse has its own touchpad that even recognizes Windows 8 touch gestures and can be used as a wireless remote for home entertainment PCs.

ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless Router
    The ASUS RT-AC68U is the world’s first dual-band 802.11ac router with blisteringly fast combined AC1900 data rates of 1900Mbit/s. The RT-AC68U also features ASUS AiRadar technology that uses beamforming to focus the Wi-Fi for a stronger wireless connection and 150% greater coverage than other routers. The RT-AC68U features a Router-to-Router Sync mode that makes light work of sharing files. A simple invitation allows photos, videos and other files on USB-attached storage to be synchronized automatically to USB-attached storage on other compatible ASUS routers, without the need for a switched-on PC at either end.

Other ASUS products announced at Computex include the Zenbook Infinity Ultrabook™, MeMO Pad FHD 10 tablet, G10 desktop PC with built-in UPS and the PA279Q ProArt WQHD pre-calibrated professional monitor.

AVAILABILITY & PRICING
    Please refer to each individual product’s press release for full product details. Images are available for download here.

ASUS AT COMPUTEX 2013
    Visit the ASUS Computex 2013 stand in Taipei from 4th to 8th June. The ASUS stand is at Booth M0810, Nangang Exhibition Hall 4F at the Taipei World Trade Center.

NOTES TO EDITORS

30-word summary
    ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih today introduced the ASUS Transformer Book Trio, the New Transformer Pad Infinity, the Fonepad Note 6, the MeMO Pad HD 7, the VivoPC, and VivoMouse at Computex 2013.

60-word summary
    ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih today introduced the ASUS Transformer Book Trio, a dual OS device that is part notebook, tablet, and desktop PC; and the New ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity, the world’s first NVIDIA® Tegra® 4 tablet with a 2560 x 1600 WQXGA IPS display. He also introduced the ASUS Fonepad Note 6, the ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7, the ASUS VivoPC, and VivoMouse.

100-word summary
    ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih took to the stage at the ASUS “We Transform” Computex 2013 press event and introduced innovative new products that are not only simple to use, but have been designed to make life simpler. Mr Shih introduced the ASUS Transformer Book Trio, a dual OS device that is part notebook, part tablet, and part desktop PC; and the New ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity, the world’s first NVIDIA® Tegra® 4 tablet with a 2560 x 1600 WQXGA IPS display. Other notables include the ASUS Fonepad Note 6, the ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7, the ASUS VivoPC, and VivoMouse.

###

ABOUT ASUS
    ASUS is a worldwide top-three consumer notebook vendor and maker of the world’s best-selling, most award-winning, motherboards. A leading enterprise in the new digital era, ASUS designs and manufactures products that perfectly meet the needs of today’s digital home and office, with a broad portfolio that includes motherboards, graphics cards, optical drives, displays, desktop and all-in-one PCs, notebooks, netbooks, servers, multimedia devices, wireless solutions, networking devices, tablets and smartphones. Driven by innovation and committed to quality, ASUS won 4,168 awards in 2012 and is widely credited with revolutionizing the PC industry with its Eee PC™. ASUS has more than 12,500 employees around the globe with a world-class R&D team of 3,800 engineers. Company revenue for 2012 was approximately US$14 billion.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    244 times
    The Trio would have been very interesting to me if:
    a) I could install Linux instead of Windows 8 on the pc/notebook part.
    b) It had used ARM instead of Intel Atom for the Android part.

-Tor

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I am very interested in this new tablet to replace my TF101.

It would be nice if you could set up a dual boot on the PC side of things with a Linux distro (which I doubt would be much of an issue).

Gonna keep my eye on this one very closely...
    Swipe likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    It would be nice if you could set up a dual boot on the PC side of things with a Linux distro (which I doubt would be much of an issue).
    It could be an issue. Windows 8 devices come with UEFI bootloaders and so-called "Secure Boot" (which doesn't have anything to do with 'secure', it's only about preventing the owner of the device from booting anything else than the vendor-installed operating system). Now, on desktop computers Microsoft agreed to make it possible to disable the 'secure' part and make it possible to install something else, say Windows 7. But it can be very hard to do still, if you look at every new HP consumer device it's very tricky as it's not documented and you just have to keep pressing keys during boot until you finally find the combination which lets you into the right place in the setup. I know about a guy at a company where they usually just buy new boxes and then stick a new disk with an older Windows 7 image into the new box, pre-setup for their needs - they had a hellish time. Searching for drivers added to the trouble as hardware is undocumented for new Windows 8 boxes, apparently.

However, for 'mobile' devices there's no option to disable "secure boot" as far as I've been informed (so NB: this is second-hand info): Windows 8 is what you got and that's what you have to stick with.
    Let's see if Asus has made it easier than that though - Asian companies aren't as much in the MS fold as American companies.

-Tor
    Frederuco and brecklundin like this.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Good to know. I have not looked into the Win8 much myself.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    It could be an issue. Windows 8 devices come with UEFI bootloaders and so-called "Secure Boot" (which doesn't have anything to do with 'secure', it's only about preventing the owner of the device from booting anything else than the vendor-installed operating system). Now, on desktop computers Microsoft agreed to make it possible to disable the 'secure' part and make it possible to install something else, say Windows 7. But it can be very hard to do still, if you look at every new HP consumer device it's very tricky as it's not documented and you just have to keep pressing keys during boot until you finally find the combination which lets you into the right place in the setup. I know about a guy at a company where they usually just buy new boxes and then stick a new disk with an older Windows 7 image into the new box, pre-setup for their needs - they had a hellish time. Searching for drivers added to the trouble as hardware is undocumented for new Windows 8 boxes, apparently.

However, for 'mobile' devices there's no option to disable "secure boot" as far as I've been informed (so NB: this is second-hand info): Windows 8 is what you got and that's what you have to stick with.
    Let's see if Asus has made it easier than that though - Asian companies aren't as much in the MS fold as American companies.

-Tor
    No, Secure Boot is only required to always be enabled on ARM devices... on x86 it's up to the OEM, but most will give the option to disable and it's only tricky because UEFI is new and people aren't used to it and it's not the same as traditional BIOS.

It helps if the system supports legacy BIOS mode, then you can make the system work like a traditional x86 PC but that will require more advance Firmware settings to be available and they mainly only offers those for the pricier models or for desktop systems.

Otherwise whatever you run has to work with UEFI even if the Secure Boot is disabled then it can still cause issues because of the differences between UEFI and BIOS.

While Linux has already adapted to Secure Boot, multiple distros have their own way of allowing them to work with Secure Boot enabled and the Linux Foundation already released a updated boot loader that will support booting just about anything on a Secure Boot enabled system.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...e-1801527.html

Older distros would need to be updated but the capability to work with Secure Boot is already available!

Only systems besides ARM devices you'd have to worry about then is MS Surface because they use a private key instead of a public key and the public key is needed to support installing any 3rd party OS.

Though, present ATOM SoCs are limited to 32bit and that poses a issue for the Linux boot loader because it needs to be 64bit to recognize and boot for UEFI and Secure Boot support... Also, the present ATOM SoCs use Imagination PowerVR GPU's and they have always had lousy Linux driver support...

For Ivy Bridge and Haswell Core i-Processors though, you shouldn't have a problem running a modern distro that has been updated to support UEFI and Secure Boot.

While for ATOM, the next gen 22nm Bay Trail/Valley View release coming out near the end of this year will switch the GMA back to a Intel GPU based on the Ivy Bridge HD4000... So should have no problems running Linux then and they will offer Bay Trail in three flavors...

-Bay Trail-T will be for the Tablet space, working at ≤ 3W TDP and will offer up to quad cores that will provide over double the performance of present Clover Trail Z2760 and nearly triple the GPU performance, with support for up to 4GB of LP-DDR3-1066 RAM and eMMC 4.5 specification storage, and USB 3.0 for ports... and like the present Clover Trail, will be priced to compete with ARM SoCs and will also compete on power efficiency and support mobile features like Always Connected Standby.

-Bay Trail-M for mobile laptops, hybrids, and semi-pro tablets will work at ≤ 4 to 6.5W max... These will be sold under the Celeron branding... Still only up to quad core but probably will offer faster clock, and support for up to 8GB of RAM, full 64bit OS, USB 3.0, SATA 2.0 as well as eMMC 4.5 support, DDR3L RAM, etc.

-Bay Trail-D for Desktop/Sever devices will also find its way to laptops under the Pentium branding and will work at ≤ 12W, with up to Octo (8) cores, etc.

All support Intel Burst Technology, similar to the Core series Turbo Boost, for dynamic over clocking as needed as long as thermals allow for bursts of performance for both CPU and GPU. Along with a list of other improvements...

Intel is on record stating they will support both Android and Windows 8... For Bay Trail laptops with touch screens we can expect Android laptops for devices priced down towards $200 and Windows 8 for similar laptops priced closer to $300... While Hybrids are expected to be cheaper than they are now and may even drop below $500 but should at the very least be below $600...
    Last edited by zeo; 06-03-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Tor, Frederuco and MA83 like this.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    I would actually love to have one of these devices. Unfortunately, I have a feeling this will be another transformer book series... where only a hand full of people got their hands on it and the rest of us just keep waiting for it to show up.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I would actually love to have one of these devices. Unfortunately, I have a feeling this will be another transformer book series... where only a hand full of people got their hands on it and the rest of us just keep waiting for it to show up.

I must admit that I would seriously consider one of these as a replacement for both my TF101 and my ancient laptop - but as you say, whether it actually sees the light of day in my local electronics store is anybody's guess.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I must admit that I would seriously consider one of these as a replacement for both my TF101 and my ancient laptop - but as you say, whether it actually sees the light of day in my local electronics store is anybody's guess.
    Seems to me like Asus is self-sabotaging. They would spend the money in R&D to create something that people would want and then they don't even allow people the chance to buy it.

The trio looks like a great concept. And it looks like something I would want to buy. But again, it is doubtful I will ever be able to get it.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times
    I REALLY... REALLY like this concept. Been hunting a device I could use though my needs would require the tablet to run a full Win8 and Adobe LR and Photoshop. But things are evolving even if slower than I would hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I've sorta been outta 'the game' for more than a few years. Your explanation of today's status quo is more than a bit unsettling. Growing with this world since mid-70s I'm used to the wild west world for more than just MS based boxes. So seeing even MS boxes locked down just feels so uncomfortable.

Then again today with even batteries not replaceable by just anyone, if at all, I no longer wonder why innovation has all but stopped in the previous decade. I can't help but ponder how devolved we would be today had, historically, things been so closed, or used the walled garden approach of today.

Heck I remember back in the 80s companies tried to play warranty and other games only to lose in the end. But things today make those moves seem downright benevolent. heh heh...

-Tor
    The irony I read in that is were the MS/Intel platform not been so open once upon a time things would never have advanced so rapidly. Today we see little innovation from the traditional PC brands. Maybe you are right about Asus and perhaps they are more creative + risk-taking and that's why I've become drawn to them.

To the OP sorry for the mini jack of your thread...it all sorta stuck a cord for me about why I'm liking Asus over other options. Hard not to like a company that offers its own unlocking tool for those folks who want to experiment. Believe it or not that sort of thing was what made Dell huge at one time...user upgradeable laptops were a huge selling point plus they wild still support the laptop, well to a point anyway.

-------
    Likely dictated, not typed, on my LG Motion ICS 4.0 .4 with Tapatalk
    Last edited by brecklundin; 06-14-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    Swipe likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links