Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm

Thread: [Rumor] Samsung and Google Planning Android Laptops with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie

Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

[Rumor] Samsung and Google Planning Android Laptops with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie

We are calling this one a rumor for now, but there are some distinct signs that Samsung and Google are planning to out an Android based laptop using Google's Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie. According to industry expert Mingchi Kuo of KGI Securities, Android 5.0 will be similar in focus to Android 3.0/Honeycomb. Just like Honeycomb was designed to bring the Android smartphone OS to tablets, Key Lime Pie will be designed to bridge the gap between the current Android world and the world of the laptop PC.

Supposedly, Google has specifically engineered Key Lime Pie for this purpose and Samsung has elected to "run with the ball." Mr. Kuo indicated that we will not likely see Key Lime Pie launch at Google I/O 2013, but instead we will see some other version of Android 4.x (most likely 4.3 from all the intel we have been sharing lately). However, According to Kuo, Samsung will lead the way with an "Android Book" Android based laptop within about four months which might coincide with the Google launch of Android 5.0.

If true, this could be the start of Google & Samsung assailing both Apple and Microsoft on a whole new front. I doubt Apple ever expected Google or Samsung to go up against their powerful "Macbook" line, and for Microsoft this could be a nightmare scenario. Sales of PC's have already started declining drastically over the past two years with the rise of tablets. With Microsoft struggling to push their way into the tablet market, and with Android tablets gaining ground on Apple's iPad, getting flanked by Samsung and Google on the PC side of things could be a very powerful surprise sneak attack.

Could Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie be the start of an Android/PC hybrid which brings a third serious OS competitor to the world of the desktop/laptop world? If so, it could shake up the industry in a big way.

Source: CNET
    smalltowngirl13 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    12 times
    I'm sorry, but no one is going to take this "OS" seriously until they get rid of the whole CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE.
    I am all for the cloud. I have DropBox, Box, and several other services.... I STILL want to be able to SEAMLESSLY use my *edit* when I cannot get an internet connection.
    Last edited by Swipe; 05-14-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: language guidelines

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    63 times
    The OS works fine offline. You must be thinking of apps, most of which also have an offline mode.

I'm interested in how this will affect Chromebooks/Chrome OS. Are they being merged or replaced?
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
    I'm interested in how this will affect Chromebooks/Chrome OS. Are they being merged or replaced?
    New Android chief downplays Chrome OS merger, hints at developer-focused I/O | The Verge

The company has said on multiple occasions that the two OS will not be merged, and while Pichai doesn't disagree with that stance, he noted there's an increased focus on finding "commonalities" and sharing code between the platforms, adding that "maybe there’s a more synergistic answer down the line."
    So won't effect it much at all... Google isn't going to put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak...

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    101 times
    I'm still disappointed that it isn't Kandy Kane. D:

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    I had my hopes for Krispy Kreme.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    I had my hopes for Krispy Kreme.
    As we all are willing led by Google from the witch's Gingerbread House further down that Yellow Brick Road to the Jim Jones Cool Aid at the End of the Rainbow.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links