Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    171 times

Nvidia CEO: Why Android tablets aren't selling

NVIDIA is one of the main driving hardware forces in the Android tablet world and slow sales of tablets with Google’s operating systems seem to have touched NVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang on the raw. Huang uttered not one, but a couple of arguments detailing the reasons behind the slow start of Android tablet sales in an interview for CNET:
    "It's a point of sales problem. It's an expertise at retail problem. It's a marketing problem to consumers. It is a price point problem"

While the first three arguments seem to touch on all Honeycomb tablets, most of which run on the dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 chip, the price point issue instantly spurs thoughts about the Motorola XOOM. "The baseline configuration included 3G when it shouldn't have," Huang underlined. "Tablets should have a Wi-Fi configuration and be more affordable. And those are the ones that were selling more rapidly than the 3G and fully configured ones," he further explained his point. The Motorola XOOM hit retail shelves with a hard-to-swallow $799 price tag for a 3G version and lacking a Wi-Fi only model initially. In comparison, the iPad 2 carries a much more affordable $499 price tag for the base model with no 3G.

Continue reading @ Phone Arena

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I wouldnt say Android tablet sales arent happening. Obviously the TF proves that sentiment wrong as folks are still trying to get their hands on them. And at $399 the TF offers a powerhouse for a poor mans budget. Once the new Tegra chipset comes out things will really start to happen. The TF1 is a great entry to market to get people interested. The true glory will come once the TF2 hits the market...
    "And if you feel there is shelter in this attitude, wait til' you feel the warmth of my grattitude..."

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    171 times
    I think NVidia CEO was reffering to the initial sales of tablets in general. The XOOMs pricepoint did the damage. I don't believe he was talking about the Transformer at all since it just recently launched and you can't complain about the $399 price...

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree wicked. The Xoom has left a bad taste in allot of folks mouths. But if we are truly talking about initial sales then I agree. However as I said above this is all about to change especially if you look at some of the growth charts.
    "And if you feel there is shelter in this attitude, wait til' you feel the warmth of my grattitude..."

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Don't worry the problem has been solved by our dear Asus. He was asking for it there u go asus answered !!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Currently just outside London in the UK but soon to be Ottawa, Canada
    Liked
    12 times
    Motorola tried to market the Xoom as they would a mobile phone i.e. subsidized pricing over the life of a contract which IMO the majority of consumers do not want. The unsubsidised price is therefore relatively high. They also destroyed a lot of goodwill and excitement that was generated by not having even basic functionality like the micro SD card slot still not working. Now they're paying the price with a rush of similar specified but lower cost tablets typified by the Asus transformer. The key is supply availability and store training - in the UK my local Comet store had no idea about the transformer and instead only wanted to direct me to the iPad. In another forum I read about an example where they asked about the transformer, but instead found it tucked away amongst accessories and dictation equipment rather than the computer or tablets section. It's all very well having niche geeks like myself interested but if the consumer at large doesn't know anything about them how are they going to sell. Hopefully the familiarity with Android through the mobile phone platform will help in the longer term.

Robert
    Last edited by rwniel; 05-16-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links