Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Jelly Bean Improves Security for Android

Sometimes, whether it is deserved or not, Android has been labeled as less secure than some of the other Mobile operating systems. Throughout its revision history, Google has obviously been working hard to constantly improve things. Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich was a pretty big improvement for Android, but the new Android 4.1/Jelly Bean takes things to a whole new level. Apparently, a security functionality called address space layout randomization (ASLR), was introduced in Ice Cream Sandwich, yet was not fully implemented. Jelly Bean supposedly changes that by activating the full randomization process. Here's a quote with additional details,

According to the changelog we saw yesterday, the only mention of a security update was that "device encryption" has been made "more reliable". But, some digging by Duo Security has also been looking into the new support for ASLR, which is address space layout randomization. ASLR randomizes the memory locations for most of the data structures in Android. This randomization makes it far more difficult for hackers because it randomizes where potentially malicious code would be written. This combines with Android's existing data execution prevention to make it extremely difficult to load malicious code in Jelly Bean.

ASLR isn't exactly new to Android, as it did exist in ICS, but the problem was that in ICS the support didn't really use the "randomization" part of ASLR. Without the randomization, it's easy to know where code will be deployed, making for much more effective malicious code. Jelly Bean is the first Android update to support full ASLR.
    Everyday it seems like I hear something new about Jelly Bean just makes it that much more impressive. It's comforting that Google continues to evolve the security side of things with the little green robot.

Source: PhoneArena

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    Nice bonus to have on my GNEX running JB..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    so here is a dumb question. is this 4.1 available now? will be be automatically updated to my tablet? i am showing android 4.0.3 right now.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Jellybean is released to the public through the android open source project (AOSP). It is not available yet as an update through ASUS, I would say give it a couple months. There are a couple of custom ROM's available on Jellybean right now, but they are not for the faint of heart, moving along well though.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Asus announced today that the TF 101 and the Slider will get the JB update but didn't say when

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Great news....Thought that we'd be left adrift amongst the sea of lost android devices
    Nexus One-running out of gas and space
    Linux Mint/Ubutu 12.04
    Transformer tf101 w/dock
    Archos 70

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links