Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    6 times

Google+: Facebook should be _very_ worried

Facebook made a name for itself by starting as a closed network available only to Harvard students initially and then branched out from there to other college campuses. It gave an air of exclusivity to the network and gained critical mass through that approach. After they had reached a stage where they could no longer be ignored they opened the floodgates and allowed anyone onto the network.

Many Facebook users have already grown tired of the network, and having Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa view every update of your drinking binge or dirty joke certainly hasn't helped the feeling of being overwhelmed with your information being shared with everyone and no easy way to fix it.

Google+ is banking on a totally new way of sharing information and giving you an easy way to decide who get's to see exactly what... without making you jump through hoops to do so. Facebook would have to turn their entire culture upside down to accomplish this and it goes against everything they've said they stand for in the past... the open sharing of ALL information.

Early adopters can make or break a social network, and Google+ seems to have attracted and won over a huge percentage of very valued early adopters. I'm talking about Hacker News users and their near total preference of Google+ over Facebook.

As seen in this poll: Hacker News | Poll: Google+: Like it/prefer it to FaceBook, Google+ has over 1023 votes that like it and prefer it to Facebook, vs 160 votes that prefer Facebook over it.

That's a huge margin of victory for a beta product that is still very tough to get into and does not yet fully support profiles for Google Apps. If I'm a Facebook stock holder at this point, I would be very worried. We all know how fast a large social network can fall from grace. Take a look at Myspace - from $580 million to $35 million over a course of less then 6 years. And in reality, they were pretty much in the coffin after only 2 years.

Now I don't believe that Google+ will kill Facebook but I do believe that it will steal a large amount of market share and prevent Facebook from taking over. It will make Facebook honest with how it treats app developers and users, much like Android has done to keep Apple honest and more open.

This is good for consumers and good for the Internet as a whole.

As an aside note, we have put up an entire site dedicated to Google+, you can visit it at this URL: Google+ / Google Plus Forum

(Source: Facebook should be _very_ worried)

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Agree with the poll.

Great new site sir.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Facebook added video chat (skype powered) today. Game on!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    171 times
    Okay, Google has enabled invites! Google+ Invite button is back!

To those who want an invite, please go here Google+ Invites - Get them in here! and post and we'll get your invites sent out! Thanks for being patient everyone!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think google+ will be a great product. But history has shown many times over, that bringing a superior product to market does not guarantee it gets it's day in the sun.

Whilst I've always held facebook in disdain, it's hard to overlook the fact that they're a social media juggernaut. Facebook changed the internet, and in doing so, permeated every aspect of people's lives, online & offline.

Further, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for google. Sure, they're a conglomerate multinational. But I stand in awe and respect of their systematic disposal of microsoft. It was a highschool dream of mine to see MS stumble and fall, and warms the cochles of my heart to see linux (android) take it's rightful place in the lives of so many. Looking at Google's subtle (& not so subtle) tactics over the last decade, it's clear to see they've quite simply taken microsoft apart brick by brick. In numerous sector's (office apps, browser, email, OS? - to name a few) microsoft has been hemorrhaging market share, whilst google continue's a steady and composed march against them.

My point is, whoever you are, it google positioned a product to target your market, you would be wise to consider them a threat.
    IMO in the long run google will end up with a greater market share than facebook. They have the ability & resources to integrate google+ into everything you do on the web, whereas facebook will always have to interface with everything you do. It's a major point of difference. I certainly dont think it will be a one battle war, nor will facebook will go quietly into the night.

I reckon it's a little like Optimus vs Megatron, optimus is smaller but he's definitely more resourceful. We all know he's going to win, just how long he takes and how he does it thats the interesting bit.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Google + will be a good product. I never was a fan of Facebook but I do like to options that + has to offer. Plus the Hangout is a great option that will enhance the experience. Can't wait to see what happens in the coming months!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links