Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Box Launching One Cloud for Android with 50 Apps

Box has just announced that they are bringing their OneCloud platform to Android, and with it support for 50 apps. If you aren't aware of OneCloud from Box, here's a quote with a brief description:

OneCloud is basically a collection of mobile apps that integrate with Box. Viewers can browse, purchase, and download apps from a gallery. Then, when you’re browsing your documents in Box, you can interact with them using the apps that you’ve installed.
    The platform originally launched on iOS, but it was their intention from the get go to launch on both iOS and Android. According to the company's VP of Platform Engineering Chris Yeh, in some ways the experience is actually better on Android. He indicated that the Android version allows for a smooth transition from opening a file in Box, opening an app to edit the file, then saving that app back to the same location in Box. He shared that it is not as "clean" on iOS.

How many of you guys are familiar with or have used the product? Share your thoughts in the thread.

Thanks for the tip, Astrix!

Source: TechCrunch

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    I've not heard of it at all, but I'm not a iThing sort of person, so it's understandable.

Obviously, you'd need to check "allow non-Google installs" in settings, to get the additional content from the Box, unless they are only making a wrapper around the google play store? I don't see how that would work, without checking that "allow" setting.

It's interesting, I guess-- but I see little need for re-inventing the play store, for a limited set of apps. On the other hand, having a set of apps that are tightly integrated with each other could make for an easier time of it, for some people.

Interesting idea, though. I wonder if their pricing will be competitive with other 3rd party markets, such as Amazon's?
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I haven't really worked with it much due to a lack of need on my part. From the video I watched for the iPad version the main benefits seem to be the storage of files at box.net and that you can allow others to view/modify whatever files/folders of files that you wish from there.

It looks really good and for people who share files or travel I'm sure this is a great idea.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Thanks, Micky-- that would be a major plus, for collaboration efforts. And well worth it, if you could always count on being within WiFi range.

TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    Thanks, Micky-- that would be a major plus, for collaboration efforts. And well worth it, if you could always count on being within WiFi range.

Oh yeah. It looks really good for anyone wanting a secure/joint website to either store docs or to store and share docs! And they can be opened and viewed from phones, tablets, laptops, and of course desktops!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Oh yeah. It looks really good for anyone wanting a secure/joint website to either store docs or to store and share docs! And they can be opened and viewed from phones, tablets, laptops, and of course desktops!
    However, isn't that what Google Docs was supposed to be?

Do you know anyone who actually uses (and trusts the security of) Google Docs? I do not-- but I'm long since out of the IT business, so that's hardly a valid experience.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links