Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Android App Downloads Topped 4.5 Billion

It seems that the number of Android Apps being downloaded is exponentially growing alongside the incredible growth of 500,000 Android activations per month. A statement from Google’s mobile advertising sales director for Europe, Ian Carrington, indicates that the number of Android Apps downloaded total so far is now up to 4.5 Billion. To put some perspective on that figure, after the first two years of Android being in the marketplace, the number of app downloads had grown to 1 Billion, and within the last sixty days Android had that many downloads! Here's the quote from Mr. Carrington,
    "A year ago [Android App downloads] was one billion, and that first billion took two years to happen. The last billion took 60 days."
    Talk about some accelerated growth! Android fans sure do love our apps, don't we?

For more general Android related news across a broad spectrum of carriers and products, please check out our sister-site @Android.net!

Source: Android.net via PhanDroid and Guardian

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    That's some pretty impressive growth! Lots of people seem to be adopting an Android device of one kind or another, so it follows that app downloads will rise.

I am interested to know whether or not Google make any $$$ whatsoever from the sale of any app bought via the Market? (other then any of their own paid for apps, obviously). TIA to anyone who can inform me.
    Last edited by Tony8; 06-29-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Asus Transformer with Keyboard Dock
    iPhone 4
    iMac 27"

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    58 times
    Well a lot of those apps are free. So the real question would be: how long do people hang on to them? That is, do we just download the free apps; play with them for an hour or a day and then delete them? In which case the number is not quite as impressive as it initially appears. I know that I have personally downloaded quite a few apps, well what the heck they are free, and after a brief trial period I have deleted them. So despite having downloaded numerous apps I really only have hung on to a relatively small number of them. I guess my point is that a lot of them are, well frankly, junk and if I had to pay for them I would have never downloaded them in the first place. No numbers to back it up but I suspect that I am not the only one doing this. I am not disputing the phenomenal growth of the Android Apps. I am excited by it and by the potential for some really great applications in the future. I am just suggesting that there may be a bit more to the story than might first meet the eye.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Android is really growing so rapidly. I'm one of its fanatics.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    What will really be interesting is how this trend rolls out after Ice Cream Sandwich (v4.0) is released in 4Q 2011....where one app works on almost any Android device...that will only further promote adoption of almost any app.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    What will really be interesting is how this trend rolls out after Ice Cream Sandwich (v4.0) is released in 4Q 2011....where one app works on almost any Android device...that will only further promote adoption of almost any app.
    I agree. When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out, app development will only get better and create a more user friendly situation for all Android users.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links