Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

PadFone Unboxing Video

I would make this my next device if it came to vzw. No further comments I will leave you to watch the video.

As originally posted by pc747 on DroidForums.net!
    Bob_of_QF likes this.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    903 times
    Boy, you can tell she loves it, but to tell you the truth, I like having a separate phone and tablet. They have different functions, eg-there is no reason to have reminders and such on my tablet, or word processing on my phone! Although my 101 is not the thinnest horse in the stable, it's not as chunky as the PadFone has to be. If I had one though, I certainly wouldn't mind using that BT stylus to answer calls!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Boy, you can tell she loves it, but to tell you the truth, I like having a separate phone and tablet. They have different functions, eg-there is no reason to have reminders and such on my tablet, or word processing on my phone! Although my 101 is not the thinnest horse in the stable, it's not as chunky as the PadFone has to be. If I had one though, I certainly wouldn't mind using that BT stylus to answer calls!
    You can tell she likes the vibrating part too!
    rcca
    TF Prime 201 tablet CG-Dock Grey ICS .13 No reboots-no crashes so far.
    Ser. BCOKAS1****
    Netgear 4500 2.4 ch 11
    Belkin Extender, love it, 40' was 1 bar 80 dBM, link 5 Mbps, now 2-3 bars 57dBm link speed 72Mbps

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    That. Is. Too. Cool.

I'd have one in a heartbeat, except that the only GSM telcos in my area are pretty much unacceptable companies to do business with. I loathe 1 or 2 year contracts (I use virgin mobile).

---------

Okay, the whole video has run, and I'm impressed.

I have one observation, though: am I the only one who thinks they took a standard TF101 dock and modified it slightly (slightly different hinge) to fit the padphone's tablet? I was struck how similar the lines, shape and general overall appearance the padphone's dock was to my TF101's dock-- and indeed, at the end, when she put all 3 side-by-side, I was struck how much alike the 101 and padphone docks were. About the only difference I could see, was the hinges--which would make sense, as the profile of the padphone's tablet was markedly different to the 101's.

Anyway, these look too cool, and I may just have to suck it down with respect to the local GSM providers in my neck of the woods...

... I'm like the reviewer: the phone itself was sleek and very nice. And I think the phone/stylus is a pretty good idea too--would not mind pulling that from my shirtpocket to answer a call.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    I did some looking, and I found a couple of prices. One site was taking pre-orders at $1000US, which apparently included the phone, dock & pad. Interestingly, all 3 memory versions were all the same 16g, 32g and 64g all showed the same price... (which is also kinda odd).

Another site claimed the UK will be going for 700 pounds, with phone, tab & dock included.

Neither site mentioned the cool bluetooth stylus.

But if this trend continues, it gives an idea of the introductory price. Kinda high for my tastes, but there you go-- in 6 months after release, when the consumer-beta testing is more or less complete (and several OTA updates too), the price will likely fall from less atmospheric heights.

rcca likes this.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    21 times
    She looks pretty HOT from what i can see in the glare on the tablet
    TF700 - Galaxy Note2

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    Nifty gadget for sure but what happens when one or more components fails?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Nifty gadget for sure but what happens when one or more components fails?
    Mike, this is Asus you're talking about! No worries.

But I guess as long as it isn't the phone that fails it isn't the end of the world as you would just be without a tablet, dock, or stylus for 7-21 days while it is being repaired. But if it is the phone that needs attention, especially with the reboots and other Asus update goodies that we've seen here it might be kinda difficult to be without one's phone for an extended period of time!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    So I had to watch the video without sound (sneaking at the office) and my biggest question is: what happens when someone calls? I don't think that taking calls on the tablet would be very practical or user friendly, and I dont know exactly what you guys mean by talking with the BT stylus.... Honestly, this entire concept looks like a gimmick to me. I don't think it's really worth a cent more than a standard device, and it's probably not going to work as well as one might think. How often would you truly even want to have your phone locked inside your tablet? Why would you even ever want to do that to begin with? It would make more sense to just have the devices sync up through wifi than to actually place your phone inside the tablet. Not only that, but this concept restricts your choice of phone. I don't like it. I know that it's not going ot be for everyone and I know that there will be a lot of people who buy into this, but in all honesty I just don't think it's really worth it.... At all... Anyways, just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth (which isn't much). Okay, I'll stop being a negative nancy

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    The "tablet" is just a screen, and the associated video-decoder hardware/firmware that supports the screen (including the touch screen, obviously). The dock is like the other Asus docks, a USB keyboard/mouse and some pass-through ports. And a battery, I would assume: that makes 3 batteries? Or does the "tablet" use the phone's? That was not clear.

To answer a call? Use a wireless bluetooth headset, like you would anyway, if you were driving-- at least where I live, it is illegal to take calls while driving, unless you use hands-free.

The stylus sports a bluetooth connection, has both an earpiece and a microphone, and answer/hangup buttons. You'd hold it pretty much like you'd expect: as James Bond would hold his MI5 super-spy pen....

-----------------

I see this as copying Motorola's new Razor/tablet combo, which was introduced about a year (or so) ago (as I remember). But I think Asus' implementation is better than Moto's, but I'm hardly unbiased.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links