Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Asus Will Offer a Free GPS Dongle to Transformer Prime Owners to Fix GPS Issues

Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

Asus Will Offer a Free GPS Dongle to Transformer Prime Owners to Fix GPS Issues

Although they have yet to make an official announcement, Asus has supposedly confirmed to the media that they will soon be providing a free GPS dongle add-on device to owners of the Transformer Prime that have been experiencing GPS issues. Apparently, this GPS dongle will snap-on to the bottom of the T-Prime to make sure that your Tablet has full GPS connectivity. They plan to make an official announcement on April 16th, and that is also the day they will make registration for the dongle available. Furthermore, the report indicates that the dongle should arrive a couple of weeks after that.

It's pretty rare to see a company go to such lengths to fix a customer issue, although it can easily be argued that they should have tested things better to begin with. Still, this move probably eats up most of the profit they made on the devices to begin with. What do you guys think? Does this improve/restore your image of Asus as a company?

Source: UnWiredView

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post

Although they have yet to make an official announcement, Asus has supposedly confirmed to the media that they will soon be providing a free GPS dongle add-on device to owners of the Transformer Prime that have been experiencing GPS issues. Apparently, this GPS dongle will snap-on to the bottom of the T-Prime to make sure that your Tablet has full GPS connectivity. They plan to make an official announcement on April 16th, and that is also the day they will make registration for the dongle available. Furthermore, the report indicates that the dongle should arrive a couple of weeks after that.

It's pretty rare to see a company go to such lengths to fix a customer issue, although it can easily be argued that they should have tested things better to begin with. Still, this move probably eats up most of the profit they made on the devices to begin with. What do you guys think? Does this improve/restore your image of Asus as a company?

Source: UnWiredView
    This sure sets ASUS apart from the rest of the crowd these days. Customer service and concern for the consumer is missing from today's market place.

At-A-Boy ASUS!
    • Transformer TF101 16GB + 32 GB external SDcard Keyboard/Dock Android running Android 5.1.1
    • iPhone 6S 16GB - ​running IOS 9.3.1 OS
    • Apple iMac 21.5 Intel I5 -Quad Core 2.9GHz, 8 GB Ram, OSX 10.11.4, external 21.5 monitor, 4.5TB storage

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggdoc View Post
    This sure sets ASUS apart from the rest of the crowd these days. Customer service and concern for the consumer is missing from today's market place.

At-A-Boy ASUS!
    No offense but this is really just taking a page from Apple's iPhone 4 "you're holding the phone wrong so here's a free case" coverup! It's the same thing as both companies realized that they pushed out a product with a defect and Apple chose to cover it with a free bumper case, of which we got 2 and Asus is choosing to do so with a dongle add on antenna.
    rgdbear and justin82 like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Anything ASUS can do to improve the performance and reliability of the Prime is fine with me and only our due. I'll sign up for the dongle as soon as it is available. They obviously rushed into production to be the first ICS tablet and we fell for it. I suppose we get what we deserve, if not what we pay for. I feel a bit embarrassed for spending $750 for a tablet that is "twitchy" at best. I support Android and I like my Prime, but I don't love it.

TF 201, 64GB w/dock, champagne
    tblaster likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Will definitely sign up for that GPS dongle... hopefully South Africa is included on this as well

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    No offense but this is really just taking a page from Apple's iPhone 4 "you're holding the phone wrong so here's a free case" coverup! It's the same thing as both companies realized that they pushed out a product with a defect and Apple chose to cover it with a free bumper case, of which we got 2 and Asus is choosing to do so with a dongle add on antenna.
    Asus has openly admitted that the GPS and WiFi on the Prime is a problem area. This is not a cover up, it is an attempt to correct a known issue. If they really wanted to be jerks about it, they would only send the dongles to people who purchased the TFP before they revised the spec sheet to no longer advertise the GPS functionality. Anyone who purchased after was doing so knowing that GPS was no longer a supported feature. By taking this step, Asus is showing Service Excellence: They recognized a mistake, admitted to it, and are taking actions to correct it.

What solution would you have them take? Ask all TFP users to send in their tablets to have the case changed to a plastic one (defeating on the the selling points of the TFP)?
    zhong38fr, x0132815 and Swipe like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    9 times
    Yes they did admit to the issues. But why did they ship the TF201 knowing they had this problem. Isn't QC suppose to catch that type of thing or at least Beta Testing. It's going to take more than a free dongle to erase the memory of this from 1000's of people's minds.
    WForsyth and justin82 like this.
    • Transformer TF101 16GB + 32 GB external SDcard Keyboard/Dock Android running Android 5.1.1
    • iPhone 6S 16GB - ​running IOS 9.3.1 OS
    • Apple iMac 21.5 Intel I5 -Quad Core 2.9GHz, 8 GB Ram, OSX 10.11.4, external 21.5 monitor, 4.5TB storage

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggdoc View Post
    Yes they did admit to the issues. But why did they ship the TF201 knowing they had this problem. Isn't QC suppose to catch that type of thing or at least Beta Testing. It's going to take more than a free dongle to erase the memory of this from 1000's of people's minds.
    They were hoping we would not notice. Ha! ha! kidding.
    rcca
    TF Prime 201 tablet CG-Dock Grey ICS .13 No reboots-no crashes so far.
    Ser. BCOKAS1****
    Netgear 4500 2.4 ch 11
    Belkin Extender, love it, 40' was 1 bar 80 dBM, link 5 Mbps, now 2-3 bars 57dBm link speed 72Mbps

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    4 times
    Well I'm waiting to see what this dongle is like...

"Attaches to the bottom" ... to the power/data connector?

...so does this mean you wont be able to dock the keyboard with it attached (or move it to the power/data connector on the side of the keyboard?)
    ... what about our cases... I have a very nice GreatShield cover but if the dongle sticks out there is a risk I could cause damage when opening the cover?

I really appreciate that Asus are actively looking for a solution to the GPS issue but I'm not sure I want something sticking out the side of the TFP

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    I appreciate that Asus is trying to correct an issue that should have been dealt with pre-production, it shows customer appreciation. I hope they will deal with the Wifi issue without changing the aluminum case that was a feature that sold me on the Prime! I have bought Asus equipment in the past and have always found their quality unsurpassed. I just finished installing a RT-N66U router that is amazing! Asus is a good company trying to correct issues with a product line, good on ya for doing something other than giving customers lip service.
    Last edited by halwil01; 04-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Transformer Prime 64GB (32GB Micro SD), Mobile Dock/Keyboard with 64GB SDHC. Android version 4.0.3

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links