Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: [Rumor] NVIDIA Tegra 4 Rumored to Have Kepler Architecture and up to 64 GPU Cores

Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

[Rumor] NVIDIA Tegra 4 Rumored to Have Kepler Architecture and up to 64 GPU Cores

Well, even though Apple's new A5X chip may hold the reigning crown for GPU performance in the smartphone world, it looks like NVIDIA wants to take that crown away and do so in a huge way. And, when we say huge, we mean reeedonkulous! If this rumor from a trusted source within the industry is to be believed, then NVIDIA's next chipset for smartphones and tablets, the Tegra 4, will share a similar Kepler architecture and 28nm manufacturing process to their current PC graphics line. Although we reported on this possibility previously, some new details regarding this mobile chipset have surfaced and they are astonishing! The new Tegra 4 will supposedly come packing from 32-64 GPU cores for its graphics horsepower engine!

That's not all. Apparently, this new chipset will also feature some of NVIDIA's new and more advanced efficiency enhancements. That coupled with the 28nm chipset size (versus the Tegra 3 using 40nm chips), means that this new chip may be the most battery efficient chipset ever for a smart-device. Keep in mind the time-line of tech advancements. The Tegra 3 is based upon core technology that is several years old (even though the chipset isn't actually that old), whereas the new Kepler architecture is based upon much newer ideas and refinements. Supposedly, we will see products announced with the Tegra 4 sometime later this year, with actual ship dates for those products in the beginning of next year.

Wow! And, we thought computers and console tech moved fast! Mobile tech is going absolutely bonkers!

Source: PhoneArena

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Time to sell my T700 and wait for the next generation then!

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Hum,

A Tegra 3 would be more than enough for me, hehe.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    What's so funny about Android market or whatever you deem it is that before it is even off the ground the rumors of the replacement is in the news! For instance we have the Transformer Prime when is was in its infancy of say 2-3 weeks old and the replacement TF700 being announced, ICS barely in its infancy and on very few devices when Jelly Bean is already announced, and now we have Tegra 4 with what only 1 or maybe 2 Tegra devices on the market and those struggling at that.

In my opinion only of course why not do something and do it right for a change before moving on! Again this is just my opinion but the 3 examples I've posted lack a lot to be desired!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    15 times
    Sounds awesome we all know how fast pc tech moves somebody will spend 400 dollars on a top of the line video card and then next week here comes a better one lol.. so its seems lile Mobile tech is catching up or even passing pc tech cant waite tosee benchmarks for this new chip

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    What's so funny about Android market or whatever you deem it is that before it is even off the ground the rumors of the replacement is in the news! For instance we have the Transformer Prime when is was in its infancy of say 2-3 weeks old and the replacement TF700 being announced, ICS barely in its infancy and on very few devices when Jelly Bean is already announced, and now we have Tegra 4 with what only 1 or maybe 2 Tegra devices on the market and those struggling at that.

In my opinion only of course why not do something and do it right for a change before moving on! Again this is just my opinion but the 3 examples I've posted lack a lot to be desired!
    i agree here, i would like a fully functional product first and a couple months of fun with it or at least 1 year then a new product would be ok, there are barely a few devices with tegra 3 and they wanna launch tegra 4? and with ICS not being 100% stable........

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post
    Sounds awesome we all know how fast pc tech moves somebody will spend 400 dollars on a top of the line video card and then next week here comes a better one lol.. so its seems lile Mobile tech is catching up or even passing pc tech cant waite tosee benchmarks for this new chip
    I've been thinking about it these days, and since I've got my first Transformer tablet made me wonder where technology development should go.

NVIDIA is certainly headed towards the right way (as it has always been compared to its biggest rival, ATI).

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    15 times
    is Apple's new A5X chip that fast. has any site done any bench marks to back up apples claim

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post
    is Apple's new A5X chip that fast. has any site done any bench marks to back up apples claim
    It's not so much that it is fast it's that it is a quad core graphics chip. But I do know that apps open faster on the new iPad than on the iPad 2 and it seems that web pages open a little faster as well. So even though it isn't a quad core processor it seems to run as quick as the Prime in my opinion.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post

Google and nvidia have too much money, they just want to beat apple at all cost, specs mean nothing. I promise you that there are apps working better on ipad 1 then on prime. They will exclude tegra 2 from most of the new tegra 3 games, just to showcase and speed up development, same thing is gonna happen to vs tegra 4. If they dont consider this evolution into their calulations they are real scumbags

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-18-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links