Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2 with Ice Cream Sandwich and Tegra 3 Coming Oct/Nov

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Kinda sucks as I just got my transformer a couple of days ago.

However I don't feel so bad as Ice Cream Sandwitch will be compatable on all android devices, so this new device would simply be a hardware upgrade that I doubt many app developers would take full advantage of until several months later have passed.

It has also been said I believe, that the keyboard dock will be compatable with all transformer models.

Interesting to learn that TF's are priced break-even witht he keyboard as the big selling point. I certainly got one! It is a shame though the actual keyboard support in the OS and apps is pretty abysmal. They really need to push their own products to be fully supported on these tablets like one would expect a netbook to work, if they want the keyboards to sell really well.

Right now the TF is 80% tablet, 20% netbook. They gotta get that closer to 50/50 in OS support, app support and programs for it to really work out in the long term.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    PadFone
    Liked
    22 times
    So what? In this case the existing TF-1 might be a nice X-Mas gift for my kids and daddy will get TF2.
    Ho-ho-ho-ho...
    buzzman likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    As soon as the Tf2 comes out you'll barely get it out of its box and the rumors of a TF3 (which will be even badder yet) will make you drool. And Apple is just as bad! I just bought my son an iPad2 for his Masters graduation. He already wondered if we might want an iPad2 around Xmas time, while he's purchasing the iPad3! Like somebody posted above we are all fools to the marketeers!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    The pace of change is phenomenal. I thought the 3G version of the TF was due out in August. So that will be "obsolete" within a few months!?

Obviously the current generation doesn't become unusable overnight, but re-sale values plummet so it's difficult to justify trade-ins for upgrades too. Hmmph, life on the 'bleeding edge'.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    PadFone
    Liked
    22 times
    Just remember how long time did we wait for the TF101 sales after its announcement, especially here in Europe.
    So I afraid, the same may be with TF2 too .

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    I think too many people here are obsessed.

Terms like "obsolete" and "outdated" simply are inaccurate descriptions of the status today.

The ASUS Transformer has been out for about 3 months, and will likely be on the market for some time - certainly well past any introduction of a new model. This is nothing either unique nor new to the computer hardware industry.

Something is "obsolete" when it no longer can perform designed tasks to today's "standards" - that simply doesn't fit the Transformer - in fact, the Transformer still his head and shoulders ahead of several other tablets on multiple fronts.

Technology is "outdated" in like manner. There are still new Android tablets coming out in the next 90 days that simply cannot do what the Transformer does today. So using the innacurate description - they must be outdated before they are even released. Wrong.

The original iPad has been out for almost 2 years - it still works, does what it should, and is supported for apps.

Just because there is a newer model or device with a new bell or whistle, it doesn't mean the existing unit is either "obsolete" or "outdated". The only people who push that mindset are sales or marketing folks - its their job.

I don't plan on buying a new car every year either. I'll keep my obsolete/outdated one for a bit.
    obs, joietrans, Gabriel and 2 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times

Interesting news

I have a Transformer and keyboard dock. Wondering if one could buy the T2 and use the "T1" dock. If their profits are in the dock that
    Doesn't seem very likely.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    This T1 is a great deal and well worth purchasing right now! I just passed my first Transformer (which arrived two weeks ago) to my husband and ordered another one for myself this morning.

Since the Transformer arrived two weeks ago, we've been researching out the Transformer hardware, and the GPS apps and the air flight apps avilable for it pretty intensively. My husband is a flight instructor, and he has new adult students showing up with the iPad2 with flight apps installed, but not much knowledge about how to use them. These folks are potential disasters waiting to happen.

As it turns out, the GPRS on the iPad is not a true GPS. Basically, it is a chip that receives signals from cellular towers and triangulates the data from them to produce a loose approximation of a location. If your iPad is in a location where there are no nearby cellular towers, as here in the Colorado mountains or out on the Plains, you're toast! Renders moot, the pretty good flight nav software on the iPad. A person can purchase a GPS add-on hardware unit for the iPad, but then there is a little lag in software response.

In contrast, the GPS sensors on the Transformer are performing better than their claimed specifications, in terms of location and elevation accuracy. We've been testing these for two weeks. Accuracy is never less than 30 meters (the typical specification for GPS hardware), and if there are more than 5 satellites showing in the sky, we've seen many readings of accuracy to within 1 meter (for both log-lat and elevation). Pretty impressive. Since the Transformer doesn't depend on the WiFi or cellular transmissions - it depends only of satellite reception, this hardware set makes a pretty darn good flight nav and flight planning tool.

We've been both on the ground at elevations ranging up and down 10,000 feet, and in the air to 15,000 feet. The Transformer hardware is performing well under all conditions and seems pretty robust in terms of sustaining temperature and atmospheric pressure changes. We have a very tiny amount of warpage in the case, but that occured in the first 24 hours of arrival (we live at 10,000 feet elevation) and may be due strictly to the elevation level here. With an app called "The Elixer" you are able to monitor all the hardware in the Transformer, and access quite a lot of it directly. For example, it is possible to greatly turn up the backlight from the default of 1 lumen to as much as 15 lumens for evening flight conditions. It is true that there is a little light leakage in two locations around the frame on this particular Transformer, but it is pretty minimal. Whoever designed this thing has done a great job of assembling hardware for the future. Beats the holy heck out of the iPad2.

The available flight apps are pretty decent, although there is certainly room for improvement. Tim has found three available flight nav and flight planning apps that do everything of which the apps on the iPad are capable. We've probably discovered, purchased or downloaded and installed about ten such apps, rejecting about five of them as being junk. In general, though these three require monthly subscriptions (for updated maps and data sets), the subscription fees are running just $5.00 USD per month. Beats the heck out of the required two-year Verizon or ATT data plan subscription, and the $35.00 monthly app subscription fees for the apps on the iPad2.

My needs are much more modest. Originally, I purchased this primarily as an e-book reader. I'm a computer professional who needs technical e-books in color, and who detests closed-source shops, such as the Kindle. I love this thing! I can get e-books and pubs from almost every conceivable source now (including the Amazon/Kindle shop), and even the long-format color *.pdf's I use in my work and as tutorials display very well. (I'm using the free Calibre to convert many things to *.pdf for the Transformer.) I can read at night in bed without waking my husband (which is a great bonus!)

Plus, I've now got a nice little software suite on one of my big workstations for converting videos and quicktime tutorials to be played on the Transformer. Thanks to the many folks here on the Forum that helped work through the video/DVD issues. It is great to be able to sit at my workstations and have tutorials playing on the Transformer set up next to the main monitors. I can just follow along nicely and get my work done neatly. And, I have to confess that I watched an entire Miyazaki movie on the Transformer last night in bed, after my husband went to sleep. This is a wonderful device!!!!!!
    Wally, brando333, obs and 2 others like this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    I think too many people here are obsessed.

Terms like "obsolete" and "outdated" simply are inaccurate descriptions of the status today.

The ASUS Transformer has been out for about 3 months, and will likely be on the market for some time - certainly well past any introduction of a new model. This is nothing either unique nor new to the computer hardware industry.

Something is "obsolete" when it no longer can perform designed tasks to today's "standards" - that simply doesn't fit the Transformer - in fact, the Transformer still his head and shoulders ahead of several other tablets on multiple fronts.

Technology is "outdated" in like manner. There are still new Android tablets coming out in the next 90 days that simply cannot do what the Transformer does today. So using the innacurate description - they must be outdated before they are even released. Wrong.

The original iPad has been out for almost 2 years - it still works, does what it should, and is supported for apps.

Just because there is a newer model or device with a new bell or whistle, it doesn't mean the existing unit is either "obsolete" or "outdated". The only people who push that mindset are sales or marketing folks - its their job.

I don't plan on buying a new car every year either. I'll keep my obsolete/outdated one for a bit.
    You're quite right about the terms. However, I'm the type who likes to live on the edge. So I would definitely think about getting the 2 once it comes out. Of course, I also plan on getting a new car every year once I finish school, except maybe the exotic ones. That's just the type of person I am though.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Gabriel likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    what would be really great would be to get some ASUS accessories soon! even just a spare charging cable.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links