Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

New Trojan Malware called GGTracker Mimics Android Market to Trick Users

Developer's over at Lookout software have uncovered a new malware for Android that is extra nasty and sneaky. It's called GGTracker, and it is a Trojan that mimics the look of the Android Market in order to trick users into installing it. It looks just like the picture above for now, so as you can see it's pretty deceptive. Here's a quote from the AndroidCentral article describing how you can get infected, and how to prevent it,
    It happens when you click a malicious in-app advertisement -- your browser opens to the URL in the image, looking just like the Market, in hopes that you'll install the fake (in this case a Battery Saver app) application. Also spotted was a version that claims to be an adult app (com.space.sexypic). After you click to install it, you're directed to install via the download notification. For now, it doesn't appear that this one is in the Android Market -- which means it might stay around for a while.

There are three easy ways to prevent this:

• Disable sideloading completely (or use AT&T as your carrier -- zing!)
    • Use Lookout premium's Safe Browsing feature
    • Pay attention to what's happening. The Android Market will never open in your browser. You'll also never be prompted to manually download an app from the Android Market.
    We thought it was important to keep you guys informed on this so you can help your less tech-savvy friends and relatives stay protected. It's getting like the "old west" out there in Android-land, but as long as we band together we can defeat the vile bandits.

Source: Android.net via AndroidCentral

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Any suggested virus scanner / malware scanner aps to load to protect against such threats?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The best defense is to ensure you don't install anything you were not looking for. Also, if you have the Unknown Sources unchecked in the Application settings then there is nothing to worry about. There are AV programs if you want them (webroot and AVG) are two but mostly they will just scan your TF and run down the battery quicker.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I love AVG and don't notice any battery loss using it not or on my Android phone. Sure you can uncheck the Unknown Sources in your settings but there is no way I'm going to trust the Market to keep virus free apps their shelf. I don't care what their procedures are all I know is that there are some mighty funky, freaky, and ridiculous apps in the Market. AVG hasn't let me down in the year or so that I've used it and that's good enough for me!

One more key note here is that by unchecking the 'Unknown Sources' in settings, you can't download the daily free apps from the Amazon App Store! No way am I missing out on those goodies!
    Last edited by Mickeylittle; 07-02-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links