Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

ASUS Shares Method to Update Your Eee Pad Transformer to ICS Manually

It appears that there are still many OG Transformer TF101 owners out there that have yet to get their Ice Cream Sandwich update, and Asus has noticed this. They kindly went to the trouble of posting on their UK Facebook some detailed instructions on how to get the update manually. They even gently prodded users to go get it, as you can see in the pic above.

It is important to note, that even if you follow these instructions, you will still need to be careful to get the 4.0.3 update that is available for your region, as they are region-specific. Here's a quote from the AndroidPolice article with some final thoughts,

Once you figure out which is the correct version for you, simply extract the contents of the downloaded folder, drop it on the root of your TF's internal storage, and the rest should happen automatically.
    Source: AndroidPolice and Asus Support Pages and Facebook - Asus UK

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Note a couple of caveats:

1. Your download manager (e.g., if you download using a Mac Safari browser) will "helpfully" unzip the file into a blob file and a folder. This is NOT what you need. You need a ZIP file to be moved. When you download the file, you will get something like US_epaduser9_2_1_11UpdateLauncher.zip. This unzips to a file like US_epad-user-9.2.1.11.zip (note the dots instead of the underscores, and the lack of UpdateLauncher). THIS IS THE ZIP FILE THAT YOU WANT TO MOVE TO THE ROOT FOLDER OF THE SD CARD. (Mac users, you will find this file in your trash can, where you can retrieve it)
    2. When you install this SD card, you will see a Triangle symbol in the lower right task bar area. When you hover over it, it will give you a message, and when you click on it, the update process will begin. This is a bit different from the ASUS instructions which imply that the update will happen automatically.

I just did this, after getting frustrated waiting for the OTA update. It updated and came up just fine on ICS! Hopefully, I won't have the stability issues, keep my fingers crossed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by krishkal View Post
    Note a couple of caveats:

1. Your download manager (e.g., if you download using a Mac Safari browser) will "helpfully" unzip the file into a blob file and a folder. This is NOT what you need. You need a ZIP file to be moved. When you download the file, you will get something like US_epaduser9_2_1_11UpdateLauncher.zip. This unzips to a file like US_epad-user-9.2.1.11.zip (note the dots instead of the underscores, and the lack of UpdateLauncher). THIS IS THE ZIP FILE THAT YOU WANT TO MOVE TO THE ROOT FOLDER OF THE SD CARD. (Mac users, you will find this file in your trash can, where you can retrieve it)
    2. When you install this SD card, you will see a Triangle symbol in the lower right task bar area. When you hover over it, it will give you a message, and when you click on it, the update process will begin. This is a bit different from the ASUS instructions which imply that the update will happen automatically.

I just did this, after getting frustrated waiting for the OTA update. It updated and came up just fine on ICS! Hopefully, I won't have the stability issues, keep my fingers crossed.
    Good info, but you omitted one item that took me awhile to figure out what I was doing wrong. I am a mac user BTW. Yes, the file I want is as you said, (not the launcher one)...however, your instructions did not say I had to unzip that file, which is necessary. I thought I only needed to put the zip file on the sd card...obviously that didn't work. However, as soon as I unzipped the file on the sd card and then inserted into my TF101, THEN it worked just as you said.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    guys i really need help, im doing all you guys are saying but nothing is working for me, im using a big sd card class 4 and i connectit to the dock, i have downloaded the files from my laptop which runs on win7, then copied them on my memory card, im using andexplorer on my tablet to unzip the file, it automatically puts it in a folder on my tablets meory, inside the folder there isan other zip file which im assuming that s the one u guys are referring to, i copied that to my sd card again and nothing hapens, i took the memory out and i insert it again, nothing, so i unzipped the unziped file as the other guy said and copied them on the sd again nothing happened, im getting frustrated as there s not enough info online what am i doing wrong, the firmware im running my tablet on is 3.1 and the the code is ww-epad-8.4.4.11-2011, please help me! im no dummy i mean i had no problem rooting my htc hd2 and making a nand rom but i need information!!! thanks in advance

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    not to forget, i already have put it also on the root of my tablets internal memory and i didnt get any results

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    Posted this a few days ago. Hope it helps. http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-solution.html
    Asus Transformer TF101, Commtiva N700 (cheap but good), Samsung Galaxy SII

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is what I did:
    1. Downloaded the ICS from Asus. the file name was US.epaduser9_2_1_17UpdateLauncher.zip
    2. Unzipped file and got the file : US.epaid-user-9.2.1.17.zip
    3. Moved to SDcard in folder named ROM
    4. Went to Rom Manager and clicked on Install Rom from SDCard.
    5. System rebooted and came up in the locked state.
    6. Unlocked and it appears it did nothing.

Next step......try something different.

I'm trying to install on a Asus tablet and never installed a ROM on my tablet before only on my LG Phone which is different somewhat.

So this is going to get interesting.

Jim

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimReid View Post
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is what I did:
    1. Downloaded the ICS from Asus. the file name was US.epaduser9_2_1_17UpdateLauncher.zip
    2. Unzipped file and got the file : US.epaid-user-9.2.1.17.zip
    3. Moved to SDcard in folder named ROM
    4. Went to Rom Manager and clicked on Install Rom from SDCard.
    5. System rebooted and came up in the locked state.
    6. Unlocked and it appears it did nothing.

Next step......try something different.

I'm trying to install on a Asus tablet and never installed a ROM on my tablet before only on my LG Phone which is different somewhat.

So this is going to get interesting.

Jim
    Place the 2nd zip (US.epaid-user-9.2.1.17.zip) on your removable sd card, not the internal sd card, at the root Not in a folder.
    Eject the card, reinsert the card, you should now see an update prompt in the notification area near the clock, follow the instructions...

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by larryk View Post
    Place the 2nd zip (US.epaid-user-9.2.1.17.zip) on your removable sd card, not the internal sd card, at the root Not in a folder.
    Eject the card, reinsert the card, you should now see an update prompt in the notification area near the clock, follow the instructions...
    Does it also work if you place the zip in the root of the TF itself? For those who don't have a removable SD card at hand.
    And has anyone tried to re-apply the update if you're allready on ICS. Sort of like when you run your Windows CD to repair the current installation.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times

Angry Installin ICS from download

Quote Originally Posted by larryk View Post
    Seems to sort of work to a degree. I move the zip file to the SDCard \ ROM folder and rebooted and it started to install but went to Clockworkmod recovery. So I selected install zip from SDCARD. It did the following displays:

Finding Update Package
    Opening update package
    Installing update package

Install from SDCard complete

Then it goes back to the clockwormod recover menu and when I click on reboot it keeps coming back to the same screen.

Must still be doing something wrong.

Jim R

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links