Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

New Transformer Prime Update May (or may not) Fix GPS Problems; Rolling Out Now

A new update for the Asus Transformer Prime is rolling out now. The update is a driver fix for the GPS system, that supposedly addresses the GPS problems that have plagued some users of the tablet. Unfortunately, there are many users who experienced the GPS issue, that have indicated this update did not actually fix their problems. Some folks over at AndroidPolice have even done some preliminary testing with the new update which did not yield favorable results. Additionally some users even experienced the update failing on download. If you want to experiment with it yourself, you should get it manually with the following instructions,

Goto ASUS.com, goto SUPPORT>DOWNLOADS>Put in Transformer Prime. Select Android OS and then FIRMWARE. Download this: Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 Firmware: V9.4.2.7 Only for US SKU (Android 4.0.3)

It will be a ~300mb zip file. Once its downloaded, extract it, its a zip inside of a zip. Once you get the new zip, place it on /sdcard/ and power off your device.

Once I turned mine BACK on, I went to System, About Tablet and checked for a FW upgrade. It saw the file I put on and allowed me to reinstall 4.0.3 ICS, afterwhich I was able to get tonights OTA.

I know this isnt anything special, but trying to get info out of the current thread is tough.

If your device doesn't see an update after you put the zip on your tab, try powering off, holding POWER and VOLUME DOWN and then pressing VOLUME UP once you get to the screen with tiny text. It will attempt to update that way but fail, and youll get a message once you get back to your homescreen that a update failed and you can attempt it again that way.
    Good luck!

Source: AndroidPolice

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I kept getting a "web page not available" error when trying to access asus.com earlier today. While trying to figure out why I couldn't get the update from yesterday, I suddenly got a firmware update available just half an hour ago. Build now reads 9.4.2.11-20120117. Is that the one that started rolling out yesterday? Is there another one beyond that one?
    By the way, with this installed I still cannot get any satellites. Could be due to a foot of snow and ice on the roof though.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickomatic View Post
    I kept getting a "web page not available" error when trying to access asus.com earlier today. While trying to figure out why I couldn't get the update from yesterday, I suddenly got a firmware update available just half an hour ago. Build now reads 9.4.2.11-20120117. Is that the one that started rolling out yesterday? Is there another one beyond that one?
    By the way, with this installed I still cannot get any satellites. Could be due to a foot of snow and ice on the roof though.
    9.4.2.11 is the latest that started rolling out today.

If you are not getting the updates, you can go to ASUS's website and get 9.4.2.7 which is the first ICS release and then do an OTA update to 9.4.2.11. For complete instructions on the manual update see the link in my signature for "Manual Update"

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    22 times
    Mine downloaded the update automatically and prompted for the install. Havent checked GPS yet but will.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Updated. Google maps won't find location. They just need to replace our tf201's with the tf700.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Got the update this AM. GPS works fine for me.

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickomatic View Post
    Don't expect to get any reception indoors or when you have heavy overcast. You must have a clear view of the sky. That applies to any GPS device

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    How can i install this update? I did what the guy above said in his link and nothing happens, i got my prime 2 days ago and it has some bugs, the gps dont work and when i go to my restroom, i lose my internet connection, when i was taking pictures it closed by itself.

Should i return it? Tigerdirect only acepts for exchange and gives 14 days (i dont know if from the day i bought it or from when i received it.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Are all these people having GPS issues trying to get satellite lock-on while they are located inside a building??

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Installed the new GPS update. It got from worse to none. Now, GPS cannot lock onto even one satellite after the update. I tested it standing outside for 15 mins. I think ASUS should just replace the back metal panel with a new plastic panel similar to the one in TF700 or just replace the TF201 with the new TF700

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links