Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    135 times

Asus Working to Complete Fix for Transformer Prime ICS Update Bug

Previously, we shared with you guys that a small smattering of Transformer Prime users were experiencing some strange bugs after trying to update their tab to Ice Cream Sandwich. Although Asus hasn't officially acknowledged that there is a problem, they did admit to a separate bug affecting a small group of owners. Here's a quote with some details,

This bug presents itself in the Transformer Prime software which doesn’t allow the OTA update to recognize the tablet’s serial number. You know what that means— no serial number, no dice.
    On an official support thread over at XDA, Asus recommends a simple factory reset or reboot to correct the bug, but if that doesn't handle it, they also shared they are working on a better solution. Gary Key of ASUS said they are “very close to finalizing a fix”.

Perhaps this might alleviate some of the other issues, and/or at least spur Asus to develop a more comprehensive fix.

Source: TalkAndroid

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    723 times
    Hmm does this sound like 4.0.4 or not? I've got several flaky issues with ICS on my Prime that have nothing to do with the serial number issue.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Lovely, my tablet and keyboard arrive tomorrow and I cannot not update. Oh well I hope it goes well and I will keep monitoring.
    Thanks for the updates.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    mmm, I think this affects only a small number of users....

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    723 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride525 View Post
    mmm, I think this affects only a small number of users....
    Small amount with major issues but 99% (there is always 1) of us with various bugs of some nature.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Small amount with major issues but 99% (there is always 1) of us with various bugs of some nature.
    Or Antdroids
    Frederuco and buzzman like this.
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Hmm does this sound like 4.0.4 or not? I've got several flaky issues with ICS on my Prime that have nothing to do with the serial number issue.
    It appears that it is a manual way to update to ICS but appears to remain 4.0.3 so no bug fixes other than the actual update, YET.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    Lovely, my tablet and keyboard arrive tomorrow and I cannot not update. Oh well I hope it goes well and I will keep monitoring.
    Thanks for the updates.
    This may not be such a bad thing for you.
    I would check my return policy and if it is in my favor, I would NOT HESITATE to update it.

This way;
    1. I can rest assure that "my new baby" is NOT a member of this, however small, problem group.
    2. Similar problems might resurface in later updates for this problem group. These problems might not just be software problems. It may very well be related to slightly different, (older version) of hardware used in its manufacturing.
    3. I would worry less, or be better prepared if my Prime falls into this problem group, for the next update; where I WILL NOT be able to return/exchange for a working unit if something were to go wrong.

Either way, IMO this is a litmus test to determine whether or not my new tablet falls into this “special case group” and that I should be replacing it with a “normal” working unit.

Anyway…

After a firmware update (to ICS), my Prime hangs and then reboots every 10 – 30 minutes when in use. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Just got off the phone with ASUS tech support and their ONLY solution is for me to send it in to them. I have to flip for shipping and any insurance and I will lose the unit for over 3 weeks!

Does that sound remotely fair to any of you guys?

I am so piss-off with ASUS. I’m sure that there is a fast, easy, and free way to re-flash, the firmware (same or older version) via software but they refuse to release it to the public! People have been re-flashing Android devices since the beginning and ASUS has been around long enough to know that.

Luckily, I still have the option to return this unit to the store since it was purchased less than 24hrs ago. (thus, my post to “mmmooretx.”)

Regards,
    Last edited by on.looker; 01-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    723 times
    Quote Originally Posted by on.looker View Post
    This may not be such a bad thing for you.
    I would check my return policy and if it is in my favor, I would NOT HESITATE to update it.

This way;
    1. I can rest assure that "my new baby" is NOT a member of this, however small, problem group.
    2. Similar problems might resurface in later updates for this problem group. These problems might not just be software problems. It may very well be related to slightly different, (older version) of hardware used in its manufacturing.
    3. I would worry less about the next update; where I WILL NOT be able to return/exchange for a working unit if something were to go wrong.

Either way, IMO this is a litmus test to determine whether or not my new tablet falls into this “special case group” and that I should be replacing it with a “normal” working unit.

Anyway…

After a firmware update (to ICS), my Prime hangs and then reboots every 10 – 30 minutes when in use. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Just got off the phone with ASUS tech support and their ONLY solution is for me to send it in to them. I have to flip for shipping and any insurance and I will lose the unit for over 3 weeks!

Does that sound remotely fair to any of you guys?

I am so piss-off with ASUS. I’m sure that there is a fast, easy, and free way to re-flash, the firmware (same or older version) via software but they refuse to release it to the public! People have been re-flashing Android devices since the beginning and ASUS has been around long enough to know that.

Luckily, I still have the option to return this unit to the store since it was purchased less than 24hrs ago. (thus, my post to “mmmooretx.”)

Regards,
    I talked to Asus CS Rep about a week ago with a list of my more minor issues and basically got the RMA option. That's really their whole mindset! A-fricking-mazing! If I didn't love this Prime I would be so far gone from Asus that it ain't funny!
    Current Devices:

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My personal Update:

I went back to the store and returned my Prime Yesterday. What finally push me over the edge was not waiting for the fix nor the bug itself but rather it was the reoccurring phrase from ASUS and echoed by many users here; "...affecting a small group of owners.." While it's might be prestigious to belong to some exclusive clubs, this is not one of them! IMO, I just can justify paying full price for something that obviously has come from a "bad" batch/run. If it was a software bug that affected every unit across the board I would not hesitate to sit here and curse at ASUS along with the rest of you guys.

This is one VIP club I don't want to belong to. I will eventually purchase a "normal" Prime, assuming nothing better has come along before then.

Please take the following with a grain of salt (I'm just passing it along);
    Upon returning my unit, the tech told me that "this is a good thing because" his boss said ASUS' sales rep told him that a revised version of the Prime will be out soon. The major difference, aside from this bug, is a more WiFi/GPS friendly back. Remember, this is 3rd hand info but it did comes from a large chain store who is the only one that has the Prime in stock in my area.

Good Luck guys...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads