Editor in Chief
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    142 times

[Rumor] Possible Problems with ICS Update On Transformer Prime

According to some posts across the web, there are a few users that have experienced major issues with the new Ice Cream Sandwich update on the Transformer Prime. According to a lengthy post over at XDA, a small smattering of users are having lockups and reboots after updating the device, regardless of whether they have rooted or not. In some cases it makes their tablet completely unusable.

Unfortunately, at this point, Asus support is stumped by it, and there doesn't appear to be a fix yet. Even a full wipe has no effect. This may only affect a small number of users, but it is something to keep an eye on. Let's share in the forums as new info arrives.

Source: AndroidPolice
    Last edited by dgstorm; 01-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry for the people affected - glad the distribution to TF101s is delayed - hopefully bugs will have been eliminated by then

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Updated to ICS this morning around 07:30 AM, no issue in my case after 2 hours of use (browse, camera, GPS, email).

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    6 times
    ICS update caused constant freezes and reboots here. I'm hoping there is a fix so I won't have to send it in.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Probably a long shot, but at this point no one knows what the problem is. Those of you who are experiencing the freezing/reboot issues: was your tablet up-to-date other wise before the update? I am experiencing this reboot issue, and my camera was not updated until AFTER the ICS update was completely installed. I'm not sure what relevance this may have, but this sort of bug is usually rooted in some obscure combination of user events that was not anticipated by those who wrote the code. And if it were me making the update, I might make assumptions that everything else had been updated first. Sloppy...but possible.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglepin2010 View Post
    Probably a long shot, but at this point no one knows what the problem is. Those of you who are experiencing the freezing/reboot issues: was your tablet up-to-date other wise before the update? I am experiencing this reboot issue, and my camera was not updated until AFTER the ICS update was completely installed. I'm not sure what relevance this may have, but this sort of bug is usually rooted in some obscure combination of user events that was not anticipated by those who wrote the code. And if it were me making the update, I might make assumptions that everything else had been updated first. Sloppy...but possible.
    Like you, I did the camera update AFTER the ICS update, and I have no issues ... my Prime is running fine. I did have one issue (Forced Closes) after the updates, but clearing ADW Launcher Ex fixed that.

I did do a hard reset before running the updates, by the way. This was recommended by one of the mods here. I also cleared data on about 1/3 of my apps before getting tired of that and just quitting! (I did this just before doing the hard reset.)

Followup: Hate to admit this, but the more I think about it, I may actually have run the camera update first. I honestly cannot remember at this point. So take my first paragraph with a grain of salt, up until the ADW Launcher Ex stuff.
    Last edited by tedr108; 01-11-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglepin2010 View Post
    I was all up-to-date before ICS.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    If you go back and read thru the loooooong thread we have on the last Honeycomb update from about 7-8 days ago now it really appears that there was no rhyme or reason to the bricking of the Primes caused by the updates. There were 4 different scenarios that our forum members and guests experienced. 1) Very quick 10-15 minutes with 1 update success 2) Fairly quick 20-25 minutes with 2 updates success 3) Lengthy 45 + minutes with 2 or 3 updates but success 4) Bricked!
    Several in the 4th group even bricked their devices on their 2nd efforts.

In the past Asus pushed their OTA updates out in chunks. I hated it because sometimes it may take 7-14 days to get it but now I'm wondering if their wide open floodgate method just isn't working. Could this be the issue? Whatever the case the ICS update like the last update has mixed results and therefore Asus is perplexed.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    I would guess that so much of this problem has to do with incompatibility with apps that may have been installed prior to the update. Asus are stumped and so would anyone else be unless we can get a handle on exactly which apps existed on the Prime prior to the ICS update. A useful pattern may emerge!
    Asus Transformer Prime 32Gb with Keyboard dock (Grey)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is anyone else having a problem with Glowball or Netflix after the update.

In Glowball I get an artifact screen before the game starts. Then when playing the game if I tap the RETURN at the bottom left I get a choice to return to the main menu. I get the same artifact screen error then the game restarts.

I am also having a problem with Netflix. After the ICS update the shortcut did not work and I had to re-install Netflix. Now every 20 minutes or so my TFP locks up when watching a movie and needs to be reset.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links