Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times

T102HA - problem displaying some games - third of the screen is black

Greetings everyone!
    I have purchased a T102HA tablet in order to play some less demanding (older?) games on the go, but unfortunatelly it appears that this is what the tablet has most problems with. Certain games are displayed with an incorrect rotation (270 degrees) and some of them are rotated correctly, but 3rd of the screen on the right is either black or shows a wallpaper through. To show exactly what I am on about, I have prepaired a gallery of games, that I tested:
    https://imgur.com/a/N3or1

What works fine is for example:
    - Fallout
    - Half-Life
    - Half-Life 2
    - Counter-Strike
    - Counter-Strike: Source
    - F.E.A.R.
    - Serious Sam Classic: The Second Encounter
    - Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy
    - Tomb Raider I (via DosBOX)
    - Stronghold HD
    - Transistor
    - Worms Ultimate Mayhem

What causes me some trouble is:
    - GTA III
    - Red Faction
    - Zeus/Posseidon
    - Max Payne
    - Max Payne 2
    - Worms Armageddon
    - Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
    - Tomb Raider II
    - Quake
    Those games are mostly shown in the gallery on imgur.

I tried all 4 screen rotations (both from Intel HD Graphics control panel and the setting from Windows) to see if at least the rotation problem will go away, but no, the game is ALWAYS rotated incorrectly, when the particular application (like Max Payne) has this problem. I tried various compatibility settings, including scaling options, 'fullscreen optimization', running as admin, Win7, 8, XP SP2 and XP SP3 compatibility. I even went as far as to try 'dgVoodooCpl' trying to replace the D3D dlls in games, but they don't work very well with that machine and/or games.

I run the newest available video driver (downloaded by Windows Update): 20.19.15.4549 (from 10.11.2016) which was actually updated in scope of this investigation, the OS is Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1709 (16299.125). The same happened before an update to the newest available Win10.
    I tried to get video driver from the ASUS website, but it's older than the one I have and the setup does not seem to do anything. I am actually not sure if it's OS or driver problem, as I have never experienced such thing on any other machine I own and none of them rocks Win10.

EDIT: What I noticed recently is that displaying those games on an external monitor via the HDMI port works completely normal, there's no problem with any of those games. The primary display is where it all goes wrong.

I was wondering: what can I do to resolve that issue? I am fairly sure that Windows 8.1 might behave better, but there are probably no drivers for that machine. Please help.
    Last edited by msg90; 01-03-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello msg90.

I am just curious if you found a solution. I got exactly the same issues, but could not find a solution neither. Just getting the games running windowed using dgVoodooCpl and other tools designed to do this job.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by msg90 View Post
    Greetings everyone!
    I have purchased a T102HA tablet in order to play some less demanding (older?) games on the go, but unfortunatelly it appears that this is what the tablet has most problems with. Certain games are displayed with an incorrect rotation (270 degrees) and some of them are rotated correctly, but 3rd of the screen on the right is either black or shows a wallpaper through. To show exactly what I am on about, I have prepaired a gallery of games, that I tested:
    https://imgur.com/a/N3or1

What works fine is for example:
    - Fallout
    - Half-Life
    - Half-Life 2
    - Counter-Strike
    - Counter-Strike: Source
    - F.E.A.R.
    - Serious Sam Classic: The Second Encounter
    - Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy
    - Tomb Raider I (via DosBOX)
    - Stronghold HD
    - Transistor
    - Worms Ultimate Mayhem

What causes me some trouble is:
    - GTA III
    - Red Faction
    - Zeus/Posseidon
    - Max Payne
    - Max Payne 2
    - Worms Armageddon
    - Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
    - Tomb Raider II
    - Quake
    Those games are mostly shown in the gallery on imgur.

I tried all 4 screen rotations (both from Intel HD Graphics control panel and the setting from Windows) to see if at least the rotation problem will go away, but no, the game is ALWAYS rotated incorrectly, when the particular application (like Max Payne) has this problem. I tried various compatibility settings, including scaling options, 'fullscreen optimization', running as admin, Win7, 8, XP SP2 and XP SP3 compatibility. I even went as far as to try 'dgVoodooCpl' trying to replace the D3D dlls in games, but they don't work very well with that machine and/or games.

I run the newest available video driver (downloaded by Windows Update): 20.19.15.4549 (from 10.11.2016) which was actually updated in scope of this investigation, the OS is Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1709 (16299.125). The same happened before an update to the newest available Win10.
    I tried to get video driver from the ASUS website, but it's older than the one I have and the setup does not seem to do anything. I am actually not sure if it's OS or driver problem, as I have never experienced such thing on any other machine I own and none of them rocks Win10.

EDIT: What I noticed recently is that displaying those games on an external monitor via the HDMI port works completely normal, there's no problem with any of those games. The primary display is where it all goes wrong.

I was wondering: what can I do to resolve that issue? I am fairly sure that Windows 8.1 might behave better, but there are probably no drivers for that machine. Please help.
    Bumping this thread because I have the same issue! I tried many of the steps you tried. I am running Windows 10 off a Lenovo Yoga Book (basically a tablet).

This screenshot of Age of Empires 2 looks a lot like what you are dealing with.
    28468322_1599246846837300_807954820928372736_o.jpg

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    If you have not tried playing around with the resolution that is probably because these were written for standard CRT.
    If available I would start with the lowest one 800X600 and work my way up to one that is the most pleasing.
    Other wise not much else you can do.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    If you have not tried playing around with the resolution that is probably because these were written for standard CRT.
    If available I would start with the lowest one 800X600 and work my way up to one that is the most pleasing.
    Other wise not much else you can do.
    Changing resolution does not help. Even if we take into account the fact that the display has different ratio to the game, the image is stretched properly, it just does not contain some of the pixels. Oddly enough, that is not the problem on external display, so the OS and graphics driver is capable of displaying those games properly.
    So far I only managed Worms Armageddon to work properly - I changed the in-game setting of graphics adaptor to Direct3D 9 (CPU), game work OK on full screen at 640x480 in menus and native 1280x800 in the actual game. I am going to try replacing .dll in folders of the remaining games to see if they will accept different files. It's still not a solution. If nothing changes, I will try and downgrade this machine to Win 8.1.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    2 times
    So far, I have two solutions that are working for me:
    1. Turn tablet to vertical, then back to horizontal mode, then run the game (this fixed Age of Empires 2 HD)
    2. Use DirectDraw wrapper, instructions here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/dd..._wrapper/page1 (this fixed Runes of Avalon)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times

Cool ASUS T102HA Tablet Gaming Issues Solved

Let me just say thank you for anyone that has posted here....this post has been very helpful and i would like to share my experience too
    msg90 is right....when connecting to external monitors using HDMI cable, it's just fine....so the main problem is windows recognition of the tablet's display
    you encounter the same problem with rotation,if you try to install a clean version of windows from a usb....it just locks in portrait mode....till you install drivers

Now to the solutions I used...
    with the games which they flip....like the MaxPaynes....just try to force it to run in window mode.....then use BorderLessGaming App to make it go fullscreen!
    for max payne i just added "-window" to the end of the target address in the shortcut.....to do this....
    make a shortcut of the .exe file to the desktop.....right click and go to properties....see the target address?......just add -window to the end....(space)+"-window"

for the games that as you have shown.....a third of the screen goes dark....just use DirectDraw wrapper.....
    go to it's github page....download the dll file....copy it right next to .exe of the game....and run the game

personally with these 2 methods i have been able to run every old game that i wanted....such as the GTAs, MaxPaynes, Commandos Behind Enemy Line & Commandos Beyond the Call of Duty on my Asus T102HA tablet on windows 10.

BorderlessGaming
    https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases

DDraw
    https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases

Force Window Mode
    https://www.lifewire.com/computer-ga...ed-mode-837057
    Last edited by Caviya; 09-06-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links