Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times

Stylus affected by palm ?

I have brand new T102HA, and I have weird problem. Pen works great, very fast, very precise. But only when I'm not touching the screen. When I am touching the screen, the position is not so precise, and sometimes it misses start of the stroke, or adds false position to the end of the stroke.

It behaves the same in Autodesk SketchBook and Windows Ink Sketchpad.

I've found this about build-in windows palm rejection. By default windows ignore touches near pen contact point, and shortly after (like 3 seconds). If you turn on the 'ignore touch input when I'm using my pen' option in Pen @ Windows Ink settings, it will ignore ALL touches. That is kinda useful, if you don't use fullscreen application as you will touch lower parts of the screen all the time. Anyway, it is not source of my problem. My touches get properly recognized and rejected.

Problem is with position of the pen being affected by my touching the screen. The effect is very small if I just touch the screen lightly .. but if I rest whole my hand on the lower part of the screen, it's quite problematic. Also only positions near my hand are affected. If I stretch my fingers and sketch in the upper left corner, it's ok .. but as I'm I moving toward my hand, it's getting worse and worse.

The problem is completely gone when I isolate my hand from the display by folded paper or piece of cloth. But it's not ideal solution.

I was under impression that the touch screen and the pen detection device are completely independent. And clearly they are not.

Any advice ? Are there any specific related updates ? I've tried touchscreen and pen calibration. It did improve it a lot, it was lot worse right from the start, up to the point it ignored pen click near my hand. Calibration improved it .. but it didn't remove the problem entirely. I understand it's no high-end Wacom, but lot of people report flawless experience with the pen, and besides this, I'm impressed with speed and accuracy.

Btw. I'm still far from fully updated, it will take days .. this is report from freshly unwrapped device.
    Last edited by Dr.Sid; 10-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    So I'm fully updated, nothing changed. I've made picture showing the behavior ..

Sketch001.jpg

It only affects diagonal lines, and only when moving slow. When moving fast, there is not enough points coming from the digitizer, and the resulting line will be straighter.

First two lines (from left) are without hand touching the screen.

Then two middle ones are with hand slightly touching the screen with 1 pinkie knuckle, just a bit of rest .. the contact point moves with the pen, but it has little effect if it does or does not. You can see that in worst case the pen looses contact, even if the pressure is still the same, medium, uninterupted.

Last two lines are with hand resting on the display, but isolated with paper folded 2 times (ie. 4 layers).

You can see the 'wobble' is present in all lines, but it's well controlled as long as I don't touch the screen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Seems like Surface, which has similar (and pen compatible) digitizer, has the same problem .. so I guess it must be 'feature' rather then bug. Still I didn't find anybody reporting it on T102HA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/com...y_surface_pro/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links