Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New T102 - what is going on with Wi-Fi speed tests?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times

New T102 - what is going on with Wi-Fi speed tests?

Hi all,

Its my first day with the T102, and I seem to have hit a fairly big problem with the speed of connection using Wi-Fi. I've gone through the Windows 10 setup, choosing a Custom setup and switching off Cortana and some of the other options that I thought would slow me down. I've then brought Windows 10 and Defender bang up to date, and I've installed Chrome. That's all I've done on a brand new T102.

My broadband speed here is a very stable 17 Mbps. Using Speedtest.net with the T102 very close to the router I am getting around 16 Mbps, but 12 metres and two internal walls away I am getting very inconsistent results. Sometimes Speedtest doesn't even respond, sometimes it's testing as low as 0.9 Mbps, but is mostly around 3 to 4 Mbps, and occasionally up to 7 Mbps. I've tried testing with Edge and Chrome browsers, and both give the same inconsistent results.

My other devices, a phone, a tablet and laptop, are getting between 11 and 12 Mbps at this same place.

I also had some strange Speedtest results earlier with the T102 only 3 metres away from the router in the same room, getting only 3 Mbps... and next time I tested the speed was up to 16 Mbps.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
    Daz.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2806 times
    Welcome to the forum

My money is on the wifi channel you are using and also whether you are using the 5ghz or 2.4ghz band, but mainly the wifi channel. If you have conflicts from other network broadcasts and maybe other rf broadcasts in the 2.4ghz band you'll get symptoms as you describe.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    A few of us have been seeing / troubleshooting this issue, sorry to say we haven't found one. However for what it does i can't say that any lack of speed has been noticed. Web browsing and movie streaming seem to go without a problem.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks guys. I'm using a 802.11n router. I guess an 11ac router would play better with my T102? There is a big difference in Speedtest between the T102 and the other Asus devices I have: a Nexus 7 and an EeeBook X205ta... these devices have much better speedtest results at long range around the house with my Thomson TG572n router. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

On a different topic, I was looking at the drivers for the T102 on the Asus website. How do I know if I need to use these drivers? Is there an Asus program that automatically tells me when my drivers are out of date, or do I have to go through Device Manager and check all the driver versions?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    220 times
    Check if the devices you are comparing are on the same frequencey band - 2.4GHz or 5GHz. 5GHz doesn't handle walls or obstructions well. On the other hand 2.4GHz will have much more issues with interference from other nearby wi-fi networks (or even other unlicensed radio equipment)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a DLINK AC1200 and am still seeing the reduced speeds in comparison with other devices.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks everyone for your input. After a solid day of playing with the T102 I haven't been able to improve the speed of its Wi-Fi to match my other devices.

My Thomson TG572n Wi-Fi router is pretty basic. Specs say it is 802.11n. I checked the settings of the router and it is only capable of 2.4Ghz.

I used Wifi Analyzer for Android to look at neighbouring wi-fi signals that might affect me, and I changed the channel on my router to an unused channel in my area. This had no noticeable affect on my T102 speeds.

I also tried removing the wireless driver and reinstalling using the driver from Asus' website. None of this made any difference. I tried the T102 and my other devices in a friend's house (although they had the same router as me) and it was the same story.

I'm not sure what to do now. If you're starting with only a 17 Mbps broadband speed then you can't really afford to lose this much speed over Wi-Fi. Even my cheap 150 ($150) Asus X205TA netbook from 2015 is two to four times faster at browsing and streaming than the T102 when I'm at distance from the router. Seeing as I bought the T102 for being on the move where Wi-Fi strength is never guaranteed I don't think its going to be up to the job. It's such a shame, as the screen, battery life, keyboard, stylus, form factor are all superb for the price.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Daz; 03-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2806 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. After a solid day of playing with the T102 I haven't been able to improve the speed of its Wi-Fi to match my other devices.

My Thomson TG572n Wi-Fi router is pretty basic. Specs say it is 802.11n. I checked the settings of the router and it is only capable of 2.4Ghz.

I used Wifi Analyzer for Android to look at neighbouring wi-fi signals that might affect me, and I changed the channel on my router to an unused channel in my area. This had no noticeable affect on my T102 speeds.

I also tried removing the wireless driver and reinstalling using the driver from Asus' website. None of this made any difference. I tried the T102 and my other devices in a friend's house (although they had the same router as me) and it was the same story.

I'm not sure what to do now. If you're starting with only a 17 Mbps broadband speed then you can't really afford to lose this much speed over Wi-Fi. Even my cheap 150 ($150) Asus X205TA netbook from 2015 is two to four times faster at browsing and streaming than the T102 when I'm at distance from the router. Seeing as I bought the T102 for being on the move where Wi-Fi strength is never guaranteed I don't think its going to be up to the job. It's such a shame, as the screen, battery life, keyboard, stylus, form factor are all superb for the price.

Any other suggestions?
    In your situation as you describe it - and you would appear to have done everything you could do - I would wipe your T102 and firstly return it for a replacement as having a hardware fault - question the hardware in the wifi adapter.

If the replacement is the same, then return it for a refund and buy a different device as if the wifi chip is that poor across all the devices then it is hardly fit for purpose. Asus are a funny mix of excellence and poor quality. Their designs seem groundbreaking, but then they seem to cut costs just that bit too much when it comes to essential components and you get this type of result.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Janner. After another day of testing the Mini T102HA I've packed it up and am returning it for a refund. Here's why:

Seeing as I'd been playing with Wi-Fi Analyzer on my Nexus 7 Android Tablet I decided to download a Wi-Fi Analyzer app from the Microsoft Store for the T102 to compare results.

Below are the results taken with the T102 and my Nexus 7 with both devices sat next to each other on the table, and 12 metres and two internal walls away from the wi-fi router. I've got photos of these results on the two devices which I can upload to the forum if I'm allowed.

SIGNAL STRENGTH:
    Asus Transformer Mini T102: -77dBm
    Nexus 7 2013: -79dbm

NUMBER OF NETWORKS RECEIVED:
    Asus Transformer Mini T102: 1 (just my home wi-fi router)
    Nexus 7 2013: 5 (my wi-fi router and 4 neighbouring networks)

What's interesting is that the two devices receive roughly same strength signal, with the T102 actually having the advantage of a slightly stronger signal at -77dBm compared to the Nexus 7 at -79 dBm. And yet the T102 only picks up one network compared to 5 networks on the Nexus.

There is still the possibility that there is a hardware problem with my particular T102, but if both devices are receiving the same signal level then that at least tells me that the aerial in the T102 is connected properly to the Wi-Fi chip.

After finding some other reviews mentioning poor Wi-Fi reception I believe that the Wi-Fi on the T102 is just generally poor. It's only if others do the same test as me, or at least test their T102 against their other devices, that we will know for sure.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2806 times
    I don't blame you. It's not as if there isn't a whole lot of choice nowadays.
    Personally having run the gamut of years of Windows & its associated annoyances & maintenance overload, looked at Android in depth & over a few years & dabbled with Linux, I now exclusively use iOS & Chrome OS with G-suite, but I do understand the need some have for Windows. I'm just glad I don't have that need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links