Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New T102 - what is going on with Wi-Fi speed tests?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    The T102 was so close to what I wanted though, which is why I'm so disappointed. Rubbish Wi-Fi range on a mobile device is unforgivable.

I'm interested to hear of other owners' experiences and tests. And if there is ever a fix for the Wi-Fi then I would buy another T102 in a heartbeat.

Here are the photos of my tests with Wi-Fi Analyzer:

T102 Wi-Fi - 1.jpgT102 Wi-Fi - 2.jpgT102 Wi-Fi - 3.jpg

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times

Fix for Slow Wifi

Updating the wireless adapter driver seems to have solved the slow wifi issues that are apparently plaguing other users as well (sub 2 Mbit/s when all my other devices are getting ~80 down). Unfortunately, ASUS doesn't provide the latest wireless adapter drivers on their site, Windows claims the drivers are up to date, and Qualcomm doesn't provide drivers directly to consumers (a questionable business model). So, I searched around and found updated drivers for the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 wireless network adapter. The driver version I was having issues with was version 12.0.0.26X (I don't remember the exact number). I installed driver version 12.0.0.285 and my wifi issues have vanished.

Here's where I found the new driver (note that this is for 64 bit Win 10, although I assume that's what we are all using):
    EDIT

I followed the instructions as listed on that page. I used 7-Zip to decompress the .cab file.

Hopefully this fix works for others who are getting unacceptably slow wifi.
    Last edited by nondiatonic; 04-17-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Thread merged and please read the forum policy with regards to external links and direct file downloads

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    6 times
    So where did you find the 12.0.0.285 driver?

I just checked my driver version and it says 4.0.2.262
    Last edited by bdball; 04-17-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2806 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bdball View Post
    So where did you find the 12.0.0.285 driver?

I just checked my driver version and it says 4.0.2.262
    Well, he tried to post the link and as you can see, it was removed. A Google search will bring it up for you.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    My link got removed because it violated forum policy. Just Google Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Driver Windows 10 64-bit 12.0.0.285 and you should have no trouble finding it. Always scan downloads for malware/viruses before installing. Make certain the driver is for Windows 10 64-bit. Also, make sure you are updating the driver for the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Adapter (just double check you're installing for the correct device as your driver version seems low). Again, the driver version I used is 12.0.0.285.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    6 times
    I did find it and installed it. After the install the device manager reads 12.0.0.285 I even double checked it before I installed and it had the 4. number. Weird. Anyway, we will see how this one works. Seems fine so far.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting, and I wish I still had my Transformer Mini to test this latest wireless driver. But if this is the solution, it reflects poorly on ASUS that users have to go trawling the internet for a driver that ASUS should have already tested and put on their website.

This is slightly off topic but I've spent the last 3 weeks looking for an alternative to the T102 and was very tempted by the Lenovo Yoga Book (Windows version). But again, there are things about it that make it seem like an unfinished product rushed to market.

Janner43's earlier comment about using iOS and Chrome OS stuck in my mind, and an IT friend kept telling me I didn't need Windows for what I'd be doing on the move, so I borrowed his old iPad 4 with retina display and have been playing with it intensively for the last week. This is by no means an advert for iOS because I've been with Windows and Android since both operating systems were released, and the Apple environment has literally made me scream in frustration this week when it came to getting files on and off the device without a file manager. BUT the iPad really does do everything I need it to do while I am on the move and away from Windows, and the Wi-Fi, battery life, speed and display are all excellent. The low price of the new standard iPad 2017 (not the Pro model) made me place an order for one today.

I will still follow this thread with interest.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2806 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Interesting, and I wish I still had my Transformer Mini to test this latest wireless driver. But if this is the solution, it reflects poorly on ASUS that users have to go trawling the internet for a driver that ASUS should have already tested and put on their website.

This is slightly off topic but I've spent the last 3 weeks looking for an alternative to the T102 and was very tempted by the Lenovo Yoga Book (Windows version). But again, there are things about it that make it seem like an unfinished product rushed to market.

Janner43's earlier comment about using iOS and Chrome OS stuck in my mind, and an IT friend kept telling me I didn't need Windows for what I'd be doing on the move, so I borrowed his old iPad 4 with retina display and have been playing with it intensively for the last week. This is by no means an advert for iOS because I've been with Windows and Android since both operating systems were released, and the Apple environment has literally made me scream in frustration this week when it came to getting files on and off the device without a file manager. BUT the iPad really does do everything I need it to do while I am on the move and away from Windows, and the Wi-Fi, battery life, speed and display are all excellent. The low price of the new standard iPad 2017 (not the Pro model) made me place an order for one today.

I will still follow this thread with interest.
    And not to turn this into an Apple thread, but as you brought the subject up...

File management on iOS is the single biggest hurdle to overcome, but all it requires are...
    1) Application of the "file first, app second" logic which applies to every other system
    2) Purchase of the app (by British developers) FileBrowser by Stratospherix - https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/

FileBrowser can read and display all file types supported by iOS and what I do, is use it to handle all files on our iPads & iPhones. I don't keep second copies in each app, as Filebrowser allows the "open in" command. It handles everything - even streaming video and Chromecast - and to be quite honest with you Apple really should have developed it and included it within iOS from day 1 the iPad was released. It is, quite simply, the most used app I own.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    The new Windows Creator update rolled my wifi driver back to 4.0.4.262 (I started factory with version 12.0.0.262). This caused my wifi speeds to drop back down to <1 mbit/s, killed my range, and caused pages to start freezing up again (just like factory). So, I reinstalled driver 12.0.0.285 which was still on my computer. This did not fix the issue like it had previously. I tried 12.0.0.262 with no luck. My T102HA is once again the paper weight the engineers (Asus or Qualcomm?...) so desperately want it to be.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    FWIW, there is a new driver version 297, but it doesn't fix anything either.

I had very slow download speeds with my Verizon Quantum router on 5 Ghz. I have 50/50 Internet, but my download speed was very low, sometimes < 1 Mpbs. Browsing was also very slow, with websites opening slowly and download taking forever. Upload speed surprisingly is fine, only download speeds seem affected.

My workaround is to switch to the 2.4 Ghz band. There my download speeds are 50/50, so at least maxing out my Internet connection.

Very disappointing though that after all these years, Wifi still hasn't worked out all the kinks. Very weird that in 5 Ghz the performance is so slow, my MacBook runs at 800 Mpbs download speeds at the same location. I think the 5 Ghz in this T102HA is just plain bad. Whenever I did connect to 5 Ghz, I was just using N mode, it never even connected in AC, even though I was sitting right next to the router. Going N in 2.4Ghz at least is somewhat usable and I am able to live with that, but still disappointing that a device sold in 2017 still has bad 5 Ghz Wifi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links