Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By YaSo

Thread: How do I do a fresh install of Win 10?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times

How do I do a fresh install of Win 10?

Has anyone re-installed Windows 10 on one of these things? Does everything just 'work' after a re-install, or are all of the needed drivers available form the Asus website? Any activation issues I need to worry about? I'm having a few minor glitches and wanted to go with a 'fresh' install. (I've built desktops with Windows 7 and older for many years, but this is my first Windows 10 machine)

Thanks in advance!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

It won't be any different on this Windows machine than any other.
    All you need to make sure is that you get the driver package from Asus so you have all the relevant drivers you need.

We have a step by step guide, linked from the T100 FAQS link in my signature, below.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    2 times
    YaSo just a heads up, when I tried to do clean install using a windows 10 installation disk I had problems with the screen defaulting to portrait vice landscape. Using a recovery image created before I started did a clean install on the machine without that issue. Also Windows will install drivers for all the devices especially after you've updated the machine to the latest updates.

Janner: I looked at your install guide and the landscape / portrait issues I had don't appear to be addressed. Is there an easy remedy, or was mine just unique?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    No idea Steve. With Windows being Windows there shouldn't be those issues. It sounds more like an Asus driver issue to me which is why it is crucial to have access to the correct driver set & not to rely on the automated Windows system. Whatever else anyone does, when you have a fresh, fully working install, take a Macrium Reflect copy of it. Then another one after you have installed all the apps/programs you normally have installed.

I didn't write the guide, so you'd be better advised to post your question & experiences in that thread. As you'll have noticed, the newer Asus Windows devices aren't exactly mass market purchases as far as membership here is concerned. The T100 was/is, the others, not so much.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Janner and Steel for the replies and info, as I didn't get any replies on Windows Central or TenForums. I'll try the reinstall over the weekend.

Another question: Is there a registry hack (or other tweak - hack) to force Windows 10 to never ever go into portrait, never auto-rotate? It drives me nuts that the tablet always turns ON auto-rotate when I reattach the keyboard only to find the option to lock the rotation is now grayed out.
    janner43 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    2 times
    Unless you plan to use it solely as a laptop and not a tablet / e-reader you could lock it within Windows and tell it never to rotate, but that kind of defeats the purpose of this little device.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSteve View Post
    Unless you plan to use it solely as a laptop and not a tablet / e-reader you could lock it within Windows and tell it never to rotate, but that kind of defeats the purpose of this little device.
    In theory I would agree, but despite my having tablets for years (B&N Nook Tablet flashed with Android 4.0, then a Nexus 7 2013 that got updates up until last summer) I hardly ever read books on them, and almost always used them in landscape. Oddly enough, I did used to read books on a Palm Pilot and other PDAs a long time ago, but then I went to audiobooks and podcasts for my 'reading'..

So if I don't need it to rotate, I would prefer it not to do so, and I cannot turn off the rotation with the keyboard attached. Hence why I am looking for a way to disable the rotation by any means possible.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links