Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times

USB Recovery Tool fails to complete on T102HA

Hello - I just picked up a t102ha from the Microsoft store sale, love it, although it is a little sluggish. I realize it is not a fast machine, by sluggish I mean it seems to hang on simple tasks periodically. For example, when I open web browser it goes to the Bing homepage, it takes several seconds for the Bing image to load, I'm staring at a grey image instead of the usually stunning Bing image of the day. Also downloads seem to get interrupted inexplicably, such as Windows app store updates and Asus driver downloads, they just freeze or stall apparently. My router and internet work fine on every other device in our house, so I don't believe that is the issue.

This brings me to the meat of my post - I'd like to do a clean install of Windows 10 on this guy, I've backed up all of the Asus drivers to my 128gb micro-sd card and have an empty 32gb usb drive plugged in. I select USB recovery disk from the Windows menu, it launches and identifies my USB stick, then begins to install fine, but always ends in a "We can't create the recovery drive" or similar error.

Has anyone else gone through this process with their t102ha specifically? Anything to watch out for, issues, etc.? I can only seem to find info online about other models, in these articles some people claim that a fresh install of Windows 10 really sped up their transformers so I'm wanting to give this a try, but am a little disheartened right out of the gate since I can't even create the USB recovery disk. I've also only installed Chrome and a few Windows apps thus far, the tablet is basically right out of the box, with bios update and Windows 10 updates applied.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas you might have!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    And shouldn't the title of these forums be changed to "Asus Android and Windows Tablet Community"?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    aug_aug:: I just did what you are attempting, and here a few things I've learned. First on the recovery tool, I ran into the same issue and had to try multiple USB drives, the other thing I did was to keep the computer from blank the screen / hibernating. It took several hours to create the disk in this fashion but it worked, and I'm glad I went through the hassle. The next thing I did was to create Windows 10 installation disk, and proceeded to format and install Windows 10. Things I learned here, are the screen seems to natively default to portrait mode, and Windows will find and reload all drivers after you complete all the updates. Problem here though is I could not get tablet mode, and screen rotate to work correctly. Thank god for that recovery disk as I went back and reimaged the machine using that disk. Updated Windows, and perhaps its just in my head, but this machine seems to be running much faster. You may just wish to create your recovery disks and refresh it that way instead of taking the road I traveled.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2811 times
    Why don't you just download a fresh copy of W10 from MS and use the media creation tool...
    We also have a step by step guide to clean Windows installs...
    Then use Macrium Reflect to create disk images for backup purposes.
    Drivers are available from Asus.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Janner:: That is what I tried originally, but was unable to get everything to work correctly even though all the drivers loaded. Re-installing from a recovery image worked better and reset all the drivers and functions.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    aug_aug:: When you reinstall Windows tell it no when it asks if you ant to use Cortona, then after the system come up go into the Intel Graphics settings, turn off AA and AS and set graphics from balanced to performance. These are the 3 things I did and this machine feels so much faster since doing it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSteve View Post
    aug_aug:: When you reinstall Windows tell it no when it asks if you ant to use Cortona, then after the system come up go into the Intel Graphics settings, turn off AA and AS and set graphics from balanced to performance. These are the 3 things I did and this machine feels so much faster since doing it.
    Awesome thanks! I did find the media creation tool and just went for it! Worked fine after I realized I needed the USB adapter to get keyboard plugged into machine to type, as my usb drive was in the only usb slot, doh! Luckily I had just purchased a couple of these for my kid's game controller and a phone. I installed all the asus drivers and after lots and lots of updates everything is running snappier for sure. I will try the graphics options you mentioned above and see if it gets even better, really liking this little guy.

Should I just turn off Cortana, I was thinking wth why not, but is there a really big/noticeable performance hit?

Thanks for all the responses!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aug_aug View Post
    Awesome thanks! I did find the media creation tool and just went for it! Worked fine after I realized I needed the USB adapter to get keyboard plugged into machine to type, as my usb drive was in the only usb slot, doh! Luckily I had just purchased a couple of these for my kid's game controller and a phone. I installed all the asus drivers and after lots and lots of updates everything is running snappier for sure. I will try the graphics options you mentioned above and see if it gets even better, really liking this little guy.

Should I just turn off Cortana, I was thinking wth why not, but is there a really big/noticeable performance hit?

Thanks for all the responses!
    From what I've heard Cortana takes a lot of resources, I turned it off as this little guys Atom CPU needed all the help I could give it. Everything I've done I will say it has to be twice as fast as it was when I got it. The other I did was install Opera web browser and configure it to block ads. This has made a big difference in my web browsing as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi guys,

Have you ever experienced machine death while using your Transformer Mini's USB 3.0 port? Sometimes, even a single plug or (safe) unplug can lead to my Mini's immediate death.

A more reliable way to reproduce my problem is for your Transformer Mini to play a video (40+ minutes long) on a USB stick. For me, my machine could die anywhere during the playback. Even if the playback is successful, after closing the video player and safely removing the USB stick, the machine would very likely die within one minute. I have performed 5 tests this way, and 4 of them led to machine death, and only 1 of them left the machine alive.

Since you guys have succeeded in creating a recovery USB stick using your Mini's USB 3.0 port, I assume your Mini's USB 3.0 port works fine?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Depends what you mean by die. I use it on the road a lot and have had it lock up on me once while playing a movie on my USB 3 HD out puting it to a TV. So only once and a reboot brought everything backup fine

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SteelSteve; 05-13-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links