Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times

Angry My TX300CA Hinge Has Broken - Arrrggghhh :(

My TX300CA Hinge Has Broken - Arrrggghhh

I was skeptical of the weak design of the hinge system on the TX300CA before I even bought this laptop but since at the time I could find no one having any issues with it, or even mentioning it as a potential future issue, I went ahead with the purchase anyway.

Turns out I should have trusted my gut feeling. Check out the photo below:

Tonight just through normal use I notice the right hook appreared to be slacking to the right a little more than normal and when I touched the metal tab, it came right off in my hand, no force required. It has snapped clean away and I am so disappointed now

The tablet when docked always did feel so fragile to me and I even refrained from using my computer in notebook mode when I was in bed since I just didnít trust the constant flex between the screen and the dock. Honestly the connector ASUS used just looks so delicate and really not robust enough to withstand the fatigue of docking and undocking the tablet.

I also used to often see the Windows light flicker whenever the tablet was moved even slightly so I knew the design was not good.

This has come almost exactly one year since the date I purchased it so now Iím wondering how to go about the warranty claim, if indeed I can even claim this repair under warranty.

I spend some of my time in Thailand which is where I bought the machine and Iím here at the moment. Still have the receipt but wondering do I need to find an ASUS service centre and take it straight to them or go back to the shop where I bought it?

I really canít be without the tablet part since it contains all of my work related documents so do you think I could just hand them the dock and have that repaired on its own while I keep the tablet section with me?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I have never had to claim warranty for any computer Iíve owned in the past so Iím unfamiliar with the routine.

I am also now looking to purchase a DELL XPS 13 2015 model or the Zenbook UX303LN which doesnít have this weak hinge system.

Keen to find out if anyone else has had this same issue and how did you get on with ASUS.

Thanks guys,

One very sad TX300CA owner

Matt

MHM
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear that your hinge is broken. I had exactly the same problem a few months ago (luckily still within the warranty period). The process for me (I am based in the UK) was to get in touch with technical support through the Asus website who would then raise and RMA request. The laptop would then be picked up by a courier service and delivered to the repair centre. The repair was covered by the warranty.

It is worth asking whether you can only send in the keyboard part. Also, ask them whether they can pre-order the hinge. My experience was that I sent in my laptop and it took almost 2 months for the hinge to arrive at the repair centre. It took me a lot of emails to make Asus send the unrepaired laptop after a month so that I can at least use it while waiting for the spare part to arrive.

I have a TX300CA-C4006H and the product number of the hinge: 13NB0071AP0921. Maybe this helps you in your correspondence with Asus. Also, if, for some strange reason, the repair would not be covered by your warranty, you can order the part online and repair the laptop yourself. It costs around Ä44.

I hope this helps. Good luck getting your laptop repaired.

Michael
    mattk1 likes this.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk1 View Post
    My TX300CA Hinge Has Broken - Arrrggghhh

I was skeptical of the weak design of the hinge system on the TX300CA before I even bought this laptop but since at the time I could find no one having any issues with it, or even mentioning it as a potential future issue, I went ahead with the purchase anyway.

Turns out I should have trusted my gut feeling. Check out the photo below:

Tonight just through normal use I notice the right hook appreared to be slacking to the right a little more than normal and when I touched the metal tab, it came right off in my hand, no force required. It has snapped clean away and I am so disappointed now

The tablet when docked always did feel so fragile to me and I even refrained from using my computer in notebook mode when I was in bed since I just didn’t trust the constant flex between the screen and the dock. Honestly the connector ASUS used just looks so delicate and really not robust enough to withstand the fatigue of docking and undocking the tablet.

I also used to often see the Windows light flicker whenever the tablet was moved even slightly so I knew the design was not good.

This has come almost exactly one year since the date I purchased it so now I’m wondering how to go about the warranty claim, if indeed I can even claim this repair under warranty.

I spend some of my time in Thailand which is where I bought the machine and I’m here at the moment. Still have the receipt but wondering do I need to find an ASUS service centre and take it straight to them or go back to the shop where I bought it?

I really can’t be without the tablet part since it contains all of my work related documents so do you think I could just hand them the dock and have that repaired on its own while I keep the tablet section with me?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I have never had to claim warranty for any computer I’ve owned in the past so I’m unfamiliar with the routine.

I am also now looking to purchase a DELL XPS 13 2015 model or the Zenbook UX303LN which doesn’t have this weak hinge system.

Keen to find out if anyone else has had this same issue and how did you get on with ASUS.

Thanks guys,

One very sad TX300CA owner

Matt
    Hi Mattk1 thank you for reaching out for assistance. We are sorry to hear about the difficulty with the notebook but we can assist you with preparing an RMA that you can have the unit sent in. Please send us an email at socialsupportus@asus.com detailing the scenario that took place along with the serial number and your location.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you,

In Search of Incredible

Technical Support Department
    ASUS USA :: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-
    mattk1 likes this.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear that your hinge is broken. I had exactly the same problem a few months ago (luckily still within the warranty period). The process for me (I am based in the UK) was to get in touch with technical support through the Asus website who would then raise and RMA request. The laptop would then be picked up by a courier service and delivered to the repair centre. The repair was covered by the warranty.

It is worth asking whether you can only send in the keyboard part. Also, ask them whether they can pre-order the hinge. My experience was that I sent in my laptop and it took almost 2 months for the hinge to arrive at the repair centre. It took me a lot of emails to make Asus send the unrepaired laptop after a month so that I can at least use it while waiting for the spare part to arrive.

I have a TX300CA-C4006H and the product number of the hinge: 13NB0071AP0921. Maybe this helps you in your correspondence with Asus. Also, if, for some strange reason, the repair would not be covered by your warranty, you can order the part online and repair the laptop yourself. It costs around Ä44.

I hope this helps. Good luck getting your laptop repaired.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your helpful reply to my forum message. I took my TX300CA back to the shop where I bought it from and asked them what the procedure is. They instructed me to take it the nearest ASUS repair centre to be checked out.

I promptly did this and without even so much as a pause, they said it is not a warranty repair as it was broken - well yeah, duh hence me being there!! LOL

At that point I gave up hope of trying to convince them that the despite my machine being in immaculate condition and being less than a year, and instead asked them how much a replacement hinge would cost me. Off he went and came back with a price of 22 GBP (equivalent).

I decided to just go ahead and order it since it would arrive in a few days and I would then just fit it myself.

With what you said in your message about them taking almost two months for the hinge to arrive at the repair centre, Iím almost glad I was able to pay and order the hinge myself - that is a long time to be without your computer isnít it!

I was never happy with the amount of flex from the tablet when docked in the base but this new hinge seems to be a much nicer and firmer fit. Iím wondering if they redesigned it slightly? Got no way of finding that out unfortunately but it is something good to come out of this mishap at least.. :-)

I was looking at the Surface Pro 3 yesterday and that hinge system uses magnets, a much better idea in my opinion but then what do I know, lol..

Thanks again, Matt.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Transformer Book V
    Liked
    0 times
    Maybe bit outdated, but I sent my TX300 for repair leaving it docked with broken metal tab inside, so it will look as broken by them.
    I said that i wobbles too much and disconnects with HDD when aligned. They accepted repair as warranty ones.

But even replaced hinge broken again, but metal tab on the other side, then like 3 days after on same as previous one, leaving hooks without protection.

I bought replacement myself on USA's ebay, Its not genuine but it looks more durable. Higher body, darker metal tabs (it means nothing but still...). I wish it's less hard, more flex metal that wont break but bend, but we'll see. Its new, it's stiff, has little longer connector cables ;/ but it fit.

Good luck for existing users on the weakest part of our notebooks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book TX300
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pimikiel View Post
    Maybe bit outdated, but I sent my TX300 for repair leaving it docked with broken metal tab inside, so it will look as broken by them.
    I said that i wobbles too much and disconnects with HDD when aligned. They accepted repair as warranty ones.

But even replaced hinge broken again, but metal tab on the other side, then like 3 days after on same as previous one, leaving hooks without protection.

I bought replacement myself on USA's ebay, Its not genuine but it looks more durable. Higher body, darker metal tabs (it means nothing but still...). I wish it's less hard, more flex metal that wont break but bend, but we'll see. Its new, it's stiff, has little longer connector cables ;/ but it fit.

Good luck for existing users on the weakest part of our notebooks.
    do you happen to have a link to the hinge you got? having trouble finding one.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book TX300
    Liked
    0 times

Here's what I found

Quote Originally Posted by mike16889 View Post
    do you happen to have a link to the hinge you got? having trouble finding one.
    Looked through ebay, aliexpress and such... only found one website still actively selling, all other listings have ended (i think most sellers stopped selling it), its a bit sketchy but heres the link, tell me if you find anything better.
    scratch that even they are sold out... idk where to go know other than ask asus for a replacment
    Last edited by RonBerg; 01-23-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I found it on
    I asked them if they have it in in stock but idk if I would dare to order on their site even if they answered (no information at all of their society on their website)
    Last edited by janner43; 03-03-2018 at 02:38 AM. Reason: unapproved external link removed

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all, I have the same issue with my TX300CA transfer book. I sent it to authorized ASUS service in my country and they answered me that hing is not deliverable nor available from manufacturer.
    What to say, I bought my 2014 and It's totally not professional fromASUS company. This device was very expensive and ASUS not provided a 5 years available products for it.
    If any of you are able to find hings for TX300CA can you please provide link?

Thanks in advance!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dejan.jocic View Post
    Hi all, I have the same issue with my TX300CA transfer book. I sent it to authorized ASUS service in my country and they answered me that hing is not deliverable nor available from manufacturer.
    What to say, I bought my 2014 and It's totally not professional fromASUS company. This device was very expensive and ASUS not provided a 5 years available products for it.
    If any of you are able to find hings for TX300CA can you please provide link?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Mine is broken for the 4th time (Yes 4th time for the 4th year!) I used to find it from Aliexpress but now I couldn't!

TX300 is a piece of shit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links