Thread: ASUS Transformer Book TX300

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times

ASUS Transformer Book TX300

I have been looking for the right Hybrid laptop / tablet windows 8 product for the last month with seeing a lot of disappointments, yet the TX300 has gotten me very excited and convinced to be the answer for replacing my increasingly inefficient DELL laptop. Problem is, no release date to be found on this product, even though all specs and detailed info can be found on the ASUS website.

Does anyone have any leads on estimated release date of the Transformer Book TX300 in the US??

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    It will be released from the end of January to February any time. They are mostly aiming prior to Surface Pro release date.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, DrClone! I have been thinking about picking up one of these as well to replace an aged laptop. However, my concern is that it is only capable of 4GB of RAM. Do you think that this is adequate? (I would much prefer that it came with 8GB.)

~Antonio

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by juanantoniod View Post
    Thanks, DrClone! I have been thinking about picking up one of these as well to replace an aged laptop. However, my concern is that it is only capable of 4GB of RAM. Do you think that this is adequate? (I would much prefer that it came with 8GB.)

~Antonio
    Why won't 4GB be enough?
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times

~Antonio
    In this form factor tablet pc you wan't be able to update ssd or ram only if you get like Sony Vaio Duo 11,Dell XPS 12

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Dr. Clone,

Surface Pro is releasing Feb 9 (end of the week), any news on the TX300?

Thanks,
    Bastiaan.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bschimmel View Post
    Dr. Clone,

Surface Pro is releasing Feb 9 (end of the week), any news on the TX300?

Thanks,
    Bastiaan.
    Probably will go to store by the end of the month.
    I made an pre-order from France and told me 25th of February earlier date.
    Let's hope because i will cancel my order-i'm already waiting 2 months.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Uf, painful to hear, but received notification from CDW, a web-based retailer that has the TX300 available for pre-sale, that he was informed by ASUS of a April 1, 2013 release date. That is significantly later than the Surface Pro releasing this week, which ASUS was supposedly targeting to come out with the TX300 at the same time or earlier. Disapointing, I will probably buy an alternative, in fact, the Surface Pro may be the best alternative..., not good ASUS! you are not following up your clients' needs too well!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Cool ASUS Transformer Book TX300 Availability

Hello,

I spoke to someone at CDW yesterday, and she stated that they would ship in March, about 5 weeks from now. Personally, I am hoping that some of the major retailers get their hands on these and that the price will drop in competition with the Surface machines.

The reason that I would want more than 4GB of RAM is for multitasking and for optimal speed of program operation. I have 4GB now, and my system is not adequate. Although that might all change with a faster processor and SSD. However, I still wish that they went with the option of getting it with, or adding later, to 8GB of RAM.

I want this machine for my online schooling, as the lecture material is all in Flash Video, and my iPad cannot handle it readily. (It sometimes can, but with some major work-arounds!) The detachable pad with full Windows seems so ideal!

Does anyone know if you can "add" RAM to Windows 8 via a flash memory stick, like you can with Windows 7? I'm thinking THAT might be my saving grace if I cannot do with only 4GB of RAM onboard.

Take good care,

~Antonio :-)

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Does anyone know if you can "add" RAM to Windows 8 via a flash memory stick, like you can with Windows 7?
    You're thinking of ReadyBoost but that's not required with a SSD as any removable Flash memory will be slower than the SSD!

4GB should usually be plenty for most programs under Windows 8, you'd have to do pretty extensive multi-tasking to overload it and you'd not likely run programs that require more RAM on a tablet system.

The Modern UI is a lot like other mobile OS, apps are auto suspended when not in use... unless it's one of the few exceptions they allow for the few apps people tend to not want to interrupt, while apps are also closed when memory runs short and you need more RAM to open another app... There's some delay when this occurs but after a few seconds it goes back to full speed and should be less noticeable on the Pro tablets with SSDs, which are much faster than the eMMC storage used in ARM and ATOM tablets.

Generally, Windows 8 should feel a bit faster than Windows 7... The SSD especially should help... But it depends on how the system is set up and how much bloatware is running...

Tablets tend to be made to be as thin as possible and that usually means everything gets soldered/integrated, so I wouldn't expect anything smaller than 11.6" to possibly offer the option and the way they're made will likely require complete disassembly as they tend to not be easily user upgradeable... Some hybrid/ultrabooks though may be your best bet... don't know if the Transformer Book will offer this as it's hard to tell until someone takes it apart...

Or you can wait as SSD capacities and max RAM offered should go up with the next gen models with Haswell and Valley View ATOM updates. By then 256GB should replace 128GB and even the ATOM will offer up to 8GB of RAM support.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links