Thread: [WARNING] Do NOT update TX201LA to Windows 8.1

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Anything new? Is win 8.1 now ready to update without any issues?
    i too am waiting on an answer to this. Has anyone got any good news?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Just to provide another data-point:

1. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and the OS switch key on the keyboard works fine.

2. I similarly have the issue of the display occasionally not waking up from sleep after I: (1) put the PC to sleep, (2) undock and redock the tablet. The PC definitely wakes up, the OS switch key even allows me to toggle between Android and the PC. Putting the PC back to sleep and rewaking it does not help. Neither does rewaking it, undocking the tablet and redocking it. Like ALB points out earlier in this thread, the Intel update v.15.33.8.64.3345 will probably solve this issue (release notes say: "Resolved the issue where the ‘Built-in display’ is off, after resuming system from sleep state"), but that update has to pass ASUS OEM checks first.

3. Android has been displaying a message from the TrioEcFWChecker saying "A software update needs to be applied to the..." <snip: rest of message truncated and not readable>. All Android, Windows, and Asus live updates are indeed up to date.

4. System was bought at the Taipei, Taiwan airport, but I reside in the US. Not sure if this has anything to do with any delayed updates.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    4 times
    1) Yeah, a lot of Trio owner say that. But others say that they got issues.. I think I can wait vor another week, or two
    2) I too! But very rarely
    3) Same here.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Not quite a solution, but discovered a way to wake the screen up in the stipulated situation (see below): to reactive your laptop screen, attach your external VGA monitor dongle to an external screen. Before accidentally discovering this just a few minutes ago, I'd previously tried (when I saw a blank screen) hitting the FN-F5 thorugh FN-F8 to try various combos to wake it up, to no avail. But the physical insertion of the VGA dongle with an in-bound signal to the display port apparently does something else different.

I don't know if this works if I attach the dongle w/o an actual VGA that runs to an actual screen (doubt it), but will test tomorrow and update the post here if I find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by brianwee View Post
    Just to provide another data-point:

1. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and the OS switch key on the keyboard works fine.

2. I similarly have the issue of the display occasionally not waking up from sleep after I: (1) put the PC to sleep, (2) undock and redock the tablet. The PC definitely wakes up, the OS switch key even allows me to toggle between Android and the PC. Putting the PC back to sleep and rewaking it does not help. Neither does rewaking it, undocking the tablet and redocking it. Like ALB points out earlier in this thread, the Intel update v.15.33.8.64.3345 will probably solve this issue (release notes say: "Resolved the issue where the ‘Built-in display’ is off, after resuming system from sleep state"), but that update has to pass ASUS OEM checks first.

3. Android has been displaying a message from the TrioEcFWChecker saying "A software update needs to be applied to the..." <snip: rest of message truncated and not readable>. All Android, Windows, and Asus live updates are indeed up to date.

4. System was bought at the Taipei, Taiwan airport, but I reside in the US. Not sure if this has anything to do with any delayed updates.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, this was one workaround I've been using, but slightly different. I use the HDMI cable with the same results. If I just connect the cable to the notebook, nothing happens, but if I connect to a monitor or TV, the tablet wakes up.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    i updated to windows 8.1 and DO NOT have either issue (deep sleep or os switch). i did have the os switch problem but it seems to be resolved with installing/repairing the latest version of the asus os switcher app (1.09 i believe). so.. if you are having problems with the windows/android switch key, i would suggest trying that. i have not been able to reproduce the deep sleep problem. on a side note, i am seriously considering upgrading to an solid state drive. has anyone done so? i am interested in hearing about the factory image performance gains. thanks.

alb
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecat View Post
    i updated to windows 8.1 and DO NOT have either issue (deep sleep or os switch). i did have the os switch problem but it seems to be resolved with installing/repairing the latest version of the asus os switcher app (1.09 i believe). so.. if you are having problems with the windows/android switch key, i would suggest trying that. i have not been able to reproduce the deep sleep problem. on a side note, i am seriously considering upgrading to an solid state drive. has anyone done so? i am interested in hearing about the factory image performance gains. thanks.
    Will wait a few days to see if you have any problems. As far as I can see the black screen issue is as a result of the Intel drivers which were updated late November but not yet available from ASUS. (See my last post)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    it's been about a week now but your call.. i'm waiting until realtek offers source to compile a working wifi driver for debian linux. until then i'll continue to run it virtualized.
    Last edited by stevecat; 01-10-2014 at 04:02 PM.

alb
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    FYI this is the last email I received from ASUS UK today

Thank you for contacting ASUS. We have had contact with headquarters and ASUS is in discussion with the vender regarding schedule for the VGA driver update. Please have a look and see if all drivers and updates are up to date and here will also be the new driver once ready;

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download TX201LA

I can fully understand your frustration towards this issue and that you are eager to install Windows 8.1 again. If you wish to file a formal complaint with Asus, you may send your written complaint to the following address:

FAO Service manager
    AsusTek U.K. LTD.
    1st floor Hemel One
    Boundary way
    Hemel Hempstead
    HP2 7YU

We are thoroughly sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    4 times
    Just updated to windows 8.1

Everything works fine, i can easily switch between Android and Win 8.1 in 1 sec. Win 8.1 still recognizes my microSD card and can write on it, also the battery widget on android works. So the communication works without issues. Nice.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links