Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times

Clean install Windows 8.1 Update 1, what to note?

Hi,

first of all: Sorry for my bad english and as a new member here: Hello to all

i get my new Trio in 2 days and want to install a ssd. I read here, that there are some partitions on the orig. HDD.
    But i want not clone the HDD to SSD, i want to make a fresh installation with Windows 8.1 Update 1 from an USB stick.

But i dont now, which partitions are needed. I think one of the orig. HDD partition is for recovery, like other notebooks have too.
    Can i make a fresh installation without extra partition? I know, recovery doenst work then.
    Or is there some partition that was needed?

Another question: Can i use the newest driver or must i use the drivers from the Asus side? Some Intel driver are newer then the one on the Asus support side.

thanx for your help!

Totti

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    11 times
    When you clone you only clone 1 partition, C:, so the entire question you have asked is moot. Just clone and then do all he updates including the Asus Support site updates.

But to answer you, yes you need use the drivers from Asus.

Sent from my TX201LA using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kasush; 04-13-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok thanx but why you post in your answer a game stupid zombies??

Sorry but i will not clone! I will make a clean installation on a new ssd, not clone and then update.
    So, what must i note? Is it required to make partition before or can i normal install windows 8.1.1?
    I read there are a few partitions on the orig. hdd. For what they are?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tasar View Post
    Ok thanx but why you post in your answer a game stupid zombies??

Sorry but i will not clone! I will make a clean installation on a new ssd, not clone and then update.
    So, what must i note? Is it required to make partition before or can i normal install windows 8.1.1?
    I read there are a few partitions on the orig. hdd. For what they are?

I have no idea why the game was quoted as I have never seen it before. I assume Tapatalk for Windows did something very weird. Sorry for that.

As far as I know there is no installable 8.1 or 8.1.1 as you have listed it. You will have to install 8.0 and then upgrade.

You will need to download the drivers from Asus Support site as I already stated. Obviously you will need to either make the partition first or allow the Windows installer to do it. Not sure what you have against cloning a HDD, but that is your choice.

I wish you the best of luck. I think you will need it based on what I have read.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasush View Post

As far as I know there is no installable 8.1 or 8.1.1 as you have listed it. You will have to install 8.0 and then upgrade.
    I wonder that you write this. It is no problem to get an MSDN Iso from Windows 8.xx, so i have 8.0, 8.1 and 8.1.1 as ISO.

But i think, its better i test it when i get my Trio tomorrow.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    I cloned the C: partition only to my SSD without any of the other partitions, the software I used sorted out the alignment of the new partition and updated the bootrec entries to suit the new drive. Saves reinstalling Windows and losing all your settings, although if you've got a new device that might not be such a big issue for you. Regardless, this information might prove useful to others who might be reading these forums.

I used this tool: Paragon Migrate OS to SSD - System migration to Solid State Drives (SSD) - Overview. It's not free but it certainly makes the whole process much more straightforward than other free solutions I tried and actually worked, again unlike some other free solutions I tried first. The combo of a GPT style hard drive and secure boot in the BIOS seem to baffle a lot of the older tools out there :/

You will however need a way to connect the SSD to the laptop via USB whilst the transfer takes place, I already had a USB->SATA adapter for this along with a wall wart to power the drive but if you don't have these you'd need to purchase a kit.
    Last edited by danpaul88; 04-14-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Get my Trio today but send it back tomorrow I buy it from Amazon Wharehousedeals, as "like new". But the one who have it before, destroy the recovery partition and has left an user with password so i must first reset the password.
    Then i see, he has install another language (Win was engl., iam german) and a lot of program wasnt deinstalled. And he left personal notice
    Ok, i can install it new but the destroyed recovery partiton was not good and so i order a new one that came tomorrow.

But i have test my SSD with a fresh Windows 8.1.1 install. There where some issues : Cant install TrioOS Switcher, install abort with error. Two unkown devices after install all driver from Asus, one called "Andorid" and one "unkown", but Windows Update found driver for it and so i have no yellow mark in device manager.
    After Online Update, the switch button work fine.
    But i have one hard error with Wifi on Windows side. After a few minutes, Wifi was death Only new start or the sleep button(on /off) help to get an new connection, but only for a short while.
    And Android found no shared folder on PC side. It search a long time and at the end it came an network error.
    But On Windows side i saw the Android storage.

But i must wait for the new Trio tomorrow and then i will test it again.

Thanx for your helpfull post!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Get my new Asus yesterday

Make an boot able Windows 8.1 Update 1 boot stick (must be UEFI boot!) and do a clean install on an Samsung SSD Evo 256GB.
    At now, everything works fine. Only one issue: TriOS Switcher.
    I cant install them but i also dont know: For what is this tool??

Without this tool everthing seems to be works fine, i can switch from Windows to Android and back without any problem.
    I let windows go to sleep and when it returned i can switch all the time.

And another thing: You do not need the driver from Asus side, newer one direkt from Intel works fine.
    I have only Wifi and bluetooth from Asus, the other direct from manufactor.

Some write here, to boot from USB or DVD you must change the boot sequence in bios. Thats not true, the Trio has like any other PC an Boot Menue, just use ESC at startup and it gomes the boot menue. From there you can also go into Bios setup.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tasar View Post
    Get my new Asus yesterday

Make an boot able Windows 8.1 Update 1 boot stick (must be UEFI boot!) and do a clean install on an Samsung SSD Evo 256GB.
    At now, everything works fine. Only one issue: TriOS Switcher.
    I cant install them but i also dont know: For what is this tool??

Without this tool everthing seems to be works fine, i can switch from Windows to Android and back without any problem.
    I let windows go to sleep and when it returned i can switch all the time.

And another thing: You do not need the driver from Asus side, newer one direkt from Intel works fine.
    I have only Wifi and bluetooth from Asus, the other direct from manufactor.

Some write here, to boot from USB or DVD you must change the boot sequence in bios. Thats not true, the Trio has like any other PC an Boot Menue, just use ESC at startup and it gomes the boot menue. From there you can also go into Bios setup.
    I am glad you have everything working. This confirms my statement that the OS Switching is hardware driven and not software driven. I believe the switcher program shows the icon in the system tray saying "Android is running in the background" as well as the on screen message saying "Switched to Windows", neither of which is needed for anything. It is also good to know that the Intel drivers are working well, perhaps there is nothing added bu Asus prior to their posting to the Support site.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links