Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    1 times

Boot from USB drive

Has anyone got yet how to boot the dock from a usb drive ?
    I had a look into the bios and found several boot options. boot it seems there are only for boot from internal flash?
    kind regards

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    It is not possible to start from USB with the standard BIOS-Settings. To enable booting from USB, you have to do the following steps:
    - put in the USB-Stick
    - Start/Reboot PC
    - enter BIOS by pressing F2 while start
    - go to Security options
    - Disable secure boot control
    - go to boot options
    - enable Launch CSM
    - Save options and restart
    - Press F2 to enter BIOS again
    - go to Save & Exit
    - Mark your USB-Device can be found under Boot Override
    - With return your PC will start from USB-Stick

Attention: There might be two Points with your USB-Stick. Generally you habe to select the one without UEFI

Enjoy :-)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodevin View Post
    It is not possible to start from USB with the standard BIOS-Settings. To enable booting from USB, you have to do the following steps:
    - put in the USB-Stick
    - Start/Reboot PC
    - enter BIOS by pressing F2 while start
    - go to Security options
    - Disable secure boot control
    - go to boot options
    - enable Launch CSM
    - Save options and restart
    - Press F2 to enter BIOS again
    - go to Save & Exit
    - Mark your USB-Device can be found under Boot Override
    - With return your PC will start from USB-Stick

Attention: There might be two Points with your USB-Stick. Generally you habe to select the one without UEFI

Enjoy :-)
    will this work for the "tablet" portion as well

I cant seem to get in the tablet Bios to make any changes

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, but didn't work - the T200 came up with a "BitLocker" recovery screen and asked me for a recovery key. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times

Bitlocker recovery keys

Quote Originally Posted by cherazer65 View Post
    Thanks, but didn't work - the T200 came up with a "BitLocker" recovery screen and asked me for a recovery key. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks
    You can follow the message and go to your microsoft account to get your BitLocker recovery keys - from another pc or your phone - type them in and it unlocks BitLocker.... pretty easy, and free....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't think you can get bitlocker code from MS unless you gave it to them previously. At least that's what happened when i went there. Asus is (supposedly) sending me the recovery key but I'm pretty sure it won't work because it'll be the same one I wrote down and I think hackers changed that code. The Key ID reported by the computer is not the one I wrote down. It would be nice if MS would give out a new code based on a Key ID.
    Last edited by DennisK; 08-30-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    So, if anybody is monitoring this, pressing f2 on restart did not get me into the bios.

edit> holding down volume while power on worked. Had screen that gave me boot options and recognized USB drive. Selected that. Started install of Win. Got to select partition and primary partition was protected by bitlocker. Told to disable bitlocker and start over. Haven't been able to do that. Logged in as administrator. No bitlocker tab, etc. Putting manage bitlocker into searchbar just tells me I'm not connected to internet. Search in control panel returns nothing as soon as I get to bitl.

My tablet has been seriously hacked. I can't reload windows because the computer thinks there is no room on the C drive. Attempting to look at the disk usage not working. Get "volume information for this disk cannot be found". The hackers did everything they could to make it hard to recover the use of the tablet (in an attempt to extort money for them to fix it). edit> turning off bitlocker via commands in command prompt did not work. manage-bde command removed or corrupted. Diskpart also not working.

edit>eventually got aggressive deleting stuff until I had enough free space on drive to be able to do the less invasive re-install of Win 8.1. Worked fine, got functionality back including commands in command prompt that had been disabled. I suspect the hackers put a large file on the disk to use up space to make recovery difficult. I suspect the file was a windows.old file. That file denied me access to subfolders like user. Even though I had given me complete access, access was denied. I may have been able to delete that file but hadn't found a way. I was fortunate that I could delete stuff to free up room.
    Last edited by DennisK; 09-04-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: fixed problem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    I just dug my T100TAF out of storage and thought I would revive it for a handy knock around tablet/mini laptop. Before putting it in storage I upgraded to Windows 10 through the free upgrade offer as it shipped with Windows 8.1. It was working fine when I put it in storage and now, even with a full charge, all I get it a blank screen on boot up. I have tried to boot from USB with the instructions above to try and access the recovery options unsuccessfully; same blank screen. I have written to Asus and since it is out of warranty, all of their options involve spending more money on it. I have also, at Asus suggestion, attempted flashing the bios to try and recover the system, still the same effect. Has anybody got any suggestions to revive this or am I going to be better off putting a new tablet on my black Friday shopping list?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links