Thread: T302 Dock issues: quirky touchpad and charging

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times

Question T302 Dock issues: quirky touchpad and charging

So I've bought it, and Linux actually work almost nicely (careful with processor states if you use it, it stays on PC2 all the time by default on Fedora and that's bad).

Things that are seemingly related to the dock have been quirky in various ways, though.
    First the left Alt key would often get stuck (I press the lower part of it with my thumb, and it would stay stuck with only the lower part pressed), until a tiny plastic pin in it actually broke off; it's still usable, but not great.
    Then I realized the touchpad periodically becomes very badly responsive, either barely registering my touches or actually registering them as multiple-finger touches, resulting in all sorts of UI randomness; sometimes I just wait it out, other times briefly detaching the dock from the tablet seems to help get it back on track.
    Finally, the battery in the dock has a nominal 39.3 Wh capacity, but mine only reached up to 36.5: that's about 90% capacity when new, which seems pretty lackluster. There seem to be charging quirks, too: sometimes while the computer is plugged in, the LED on the dock briefly turns itself off and then on again, although it's certainly not the whole dock getting disconnected, because that would noticeably freeze the keyboard and touchpad, and then the LED normally flashes repeatedly upon reconnection. Maybe it's normal, but it doesn't feel normal... and then, one night, it was plugged in and the tablet's battery charged, but the dock's battery didn't charge at all. That only happened once, but still.

I'd mainly like to know if any of these issues have happened to others, to decide whether it's worth taking it back for warranty service (which will likely take a fairly long time, I haven't bought it on Amazon in the end) or I would have to expect similar problems with the new dock if I did.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    You've posted in a section for the T302, but your profile states T100. Your post doesn't state which device you refer to. Please clarify. Thanks.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    I have a T100 and I have a T302. Previous posts from me in this forum section explain that I was considering buying a T302; I have in fact done that some weeks ago, and hence I am now asking about it in the relevant forum section.
    janner43 likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Thanks - it helps other members and trust me when I say that a whole lot of posts are not placed in the correct section. I've added the model no. to your post title.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Followup: I sent my T302CA in for warranty repair after the left Alt key failed completely, and the touchpad had become almost unusable.
    I had it back after about a month. The Alt key had been repaired, but the touchpad had a new bump near its top-right corner that can be felt to the touch and seen in some light conditions, and its usability seems to be about the same as before, i.e. quite bad, although it's not yet reached the point of being *completely* unusable that it had when I asked to have it repaired.

At the end of the day, I would not recommend this machine to someone, and instead, if the ability to detach the keyboard is not vital, I would look at a 360-swiveling HP, which for less money can come with more powerful processors, although that will likely be at the expense of battery life.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LjL View Post
    Followup: I sent my T302CA in for warranty repair after the left Alt key failed completely, and the touchpad had become almost unusable.
    I had it back after about a month. The Alt key had been repaired, but the touchpad had a new bump near its top-right corner that can be felt to the touch and seen in some light conditions, and its usability seems to be about the same as before, i.e. quite bad, although it's not yet reached the point of being *completely* unusable that it had when I asked to have it repaired.

At the end of the day, I would not recommend this machine to someone, and instead, if the ability to detach the keyboard is not vital, I would look at a 360-swiveling HP, which for less money can come with more powerful processors, although that will likely be at the expense of battery life.
    Hi, allow us to apologize extensively for the inconvenience that this has caused. If you require any additional assistance, please send us an email to socialsupportus@asus.com with reference to Case#: N170729668
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, though I think you probably can't help me with this because I'm not a US customer, I'm in the EU.

I think the T302CA is a somewhat unique machine (made even more unique by how hard to find it tends to be), in particular because I know of no similarly-specced touchscreen laptop (convertible or not) with such a long battery life: putting an additional battery in the keyboard dock is a brilliant idea in my opinion, also considering it has to be made heavy enough in one way or another. It's also unusual to have 8GB of RAM in a base Core m3 model.

It does seem to suffer from some general quality issue though... even if I've been particularly unlucky with my unit, the keys feel flimsy enough that what happened with my keyboard's Alt key doesn't seem all that far-fetched for key one tends to press somewhat off-center (like modifiers), and about the touchpad, the one in my T100TA proved much more reliable and for a long time, despite that machine being much less premium! And with that one, it was easy to find replacement keyboard docks for ~€40 in case of issues.

Besides, it's not really my business in what way you decide to perform warranty service as long as it's effective, but even though I do realize the keyboard dock of the T302CA is not cheap, wouldn't it have been more cost-effective even for your technicians, aside from more likely to fully restore working state, to replace the dock (at least given it had problems with both keyboard and touchpad) than to open it up and replace parts?
    (At least I presume that's how it was done, given the small bump on the touchpad and that the battery capacity is very close to the old... I didn't think of noting down the serial number, though.)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    More follow ups...

The touchpad is still hit-and-miss, but not as bad as it was before, and it doesn't appear to be progressively getting worse like last time, so I guess I can live with that.

However, the left Alt key is starting to make noises and give tactile feedback that indicates it's about to break again (note the entire keyboard was supposedly replaced). I would say it's clear that particular key is pressed in a different way from most, as I use the left thumb and I really only use a thumb for the (much bigger, and hopefully stabler) space bar aside from that one. I use it quite often for Alt-Tab, but I don't press with any more strength than other keys or otherwise abuse it: I just press it differently because it is where it is and my fingers are where they are.

I honestly find a keyboard that only works when you press keys "correctly" (according to its own definition), and otherwise consistently tends to break on the same key, a sign of shoddy build quality that seriously shouldn't be there in a €700 product. I would have been much happier with plastic construction instead of fancy metal (which just makes me feel electricity when plugged in, and perhaps contributes to the touchpad issues due to capacitive acting-up) but with a keyboard that was designed to be typed on without breaking - which doesn't seem like very much to ask.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links