Thread: Lost my recovery partition

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times

Lost my recovery partition

I've had my T200TA for a few months now. I originally ran Windows 8.1 x64 and upgraded to Windows 10 x64 once it was released last summer. After running Windows 10 for a few weeks, I did a clean install. Afterwards, I noticed that I no longer have the original recovery partition. I am not sure when or how it got deleted. But I'd like to get it back if possible. I am missing some of the orginal installed programs bundled by Asus. I've been able to install all of the basic drivers. But things like Live Update are missing.

That said, my device has much lower battery drain when in sleep mode. It was a real problem for me before. It seems the clean install did the trick. There much have been some driver settings left over from Windows 8.1, that caused my battery to drain excessively while sleeping.
    Last edited by skallal; 09-23-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    I think your clean install wiped your partitions. You'll probably need to contact Asus for the utilities you'd like.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    I know it is too late but did you create a restore disk/usb? I didn't and upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows10 after many prompts to do so. Now when I boot my T100AF it just goes straight into the BIOS. I contacted ASUS support (a joke may I say) and they told me that upgrading from the original OEM OS this has voided my warranty. I even tried several times to return it using their RMA service and it has rejected me three times. I even tried to buy a Windows 8.1 recovery media and this is not available.
    Anyone any suggestions, this is only a month old.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    8 times
    Windows 10 does not use a recovery partition. When 8.1 upgrades to 10, it keeps a copy of the 8.1 system and gives you a month to decide whether you want to roll back. But when you do a clean install it doesn't save anything, therefore the recovery partition will disappear and no old 8.1 will be left.

With a bit of searching there are plenty of resources on this forum to help out with your drivers and other applications. If you have a problem or situation. you are not the first, nor will you be the last
    leeshor and frenziedfemale like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I am both surprised and disturbed about reports from IronCeltc. I read his posts on another thread. Asus even has drivers for Windows 10 on their site. How can they not honor the warranty? Was this in the USA? I'd think there would be legal recourse in small claims court. Frankly this scares me!

Okay I've accepted the fact that I've lost my recovery partition. In my case, my T200TA is running better than ever. But what if I need warranty service in the future? Will I be stuck like IronCeltc?

I will be picking up a new Asus UX305FA laptop later today. This is because I realize a true laptop meets my needs better than a 2 in 1. And the Atom processor is too sluggish for my for needs. Now I'm concerned about buying another Asus device if they will balk at upgrading to Windows 10. I'll have ask if the retailer will back me with an extended warranty, just to have my back covered. I don't want to leave the device on Windows 8.1, just to keep the warranty intact.

I wish IronCeltc good luck with his broken device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skallal; 09-27-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    Whilst browsing this forum I came across this thread and thought I would just add that I too have found ASUS support to be a joke. I have been trying to replace the original HDD with an SSD for the past 2 months and the support from ASUS is very poor. On a few occasions they have informed me that if I have changed the hard drive then I have voided my warranty, which is a load of tosh as there is a panel you can unscrew to replace the drive.

And if they have stated upgrading to Windows 10 will void the warranty, well that would not surprise me from my experience of ASUS support. They seem to want to wriggle out of any support issues and pass the buck on to someone else. I don't think I will be buying another ASUS product ever again, that is for sure.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    HI
    I have a T200 and let it upgrade to Windows 10, ran it for a week and then decided I wanted to go back to W8.1. Used the windows rollback feature that worked ok, but when I went to do a full restore back to 8.1 from the recovery it says there is no recovery environment present. I was under the impression if you rolled back W10 everything went back to previous state, obviously not. How can I know run the ASUS restore programme so I can put it back to the factory settings. Upgrading to windows 10 to see how it worked, looks like a big mistake now. Any help would be great.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Welcome to the forum

Just do a full install from external media and then install the Asus SoC drivers download from the Asus website.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the welcome.
    I will give it a go, just need to get a copy of W8.1 and some way of installing it, Also mailed ASUS today as not to happy that this happened, they must know this is the case. Cant believe thye don't offer any restore media. What is their Customer Service like does anyone know?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slings View Post
    Thank you for the welcome.
    I will give it a go, just need to get a copy of W8.1 and some way of installing it, Also mailed ASUS today as not to happy that this happened, they must know this is the case. Cant believe thye don't offer any restore media. What is their Customer Service like does anyone know?
    The best way to contact Asus is by telephone or they have an online chat available... Customer Service? Better than Apple. Which isn't saying much as they both rate as disappointing.

19 February, 2016 15834 PM PST.png
    Last edited by Swipe; 02-19-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links