Thread: Apps and Registry problem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times

Question Apps and Registry problem

As the memory on my tablet was filling up fast due to the Apps I was adding etc. (only had the T200 a week!) I decided to try and be clever (and brave!) I attempted to change the settings on my T200 so that future Apps were downloaded to the 500gb drive on the keyboard dock. After searching google, I decided to follow the steps shown on the How To Geek website, and change the Registry settings (even though this is usually something I stay clear of and, no, I hadnt created a restore point!)
    I now find that none of the Apps I have loaded on the tablet memory will load and neither do the newly downloaded apps on the hard drive!
    Before I do something further that I regret, please could someone advise me firstly how to correct this move (I'm frightened of changing the Registry, without proper advice again in case I make matters worse) and secondly, how I can carry out my original task of Apps downloading to my 500gb hard drive
    Thanks in anticipation
    Dawn

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

You ventured into snake bite territory for sure, and without the protection of a backup of the registry. If you could post the section you edited it might help, or you can try a restore point if you have one that includes the registry.

In the future, downloaded apps location defaults are controlled the browser. (unless you were talking about installation rather than download).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Leeshor. Not sure if this is what you mean but hopefully it is!
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Appx
    I created a new folder on my harddrive called Windows8Apps and then selected Package Root and typed in the address for this new folder.
    Would I be better doing a factory restore and if so please could you tell me the best way
    thanks v much
    Dawn

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    The link I followed initially was posted by Super Administrator, Caster:

To install MS Window Store Apps to another drive/location (follow instructions below),
    How to Install Windows Store Apps to an SD Card or Another Drive
    Disk Space Full Help!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    I've just purchased my Transformer and I also followed the instructions via Casters post "Disk Space Full Help!" (the one that leads to think geek and instructs on changing registry as mentioned above).

Now I keep getting an error when I try to install any apps.
    ERROR CODE: 0xd00002b8

I've googled this and not found much help at all. I've tried changing users in the microsoft store app. As that's really the only suggestions I've found. I've also run Troubleshooter and repaired Windows Update and then restarted the transfromer.... but still to no avail.

Any help on this? I'm feeling stuck with all this space on the dock and no way to utilize it if I can't install my apps there (or anywhere now for that matter).

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

Hope you have a backup of the registry. If so, at least you can get back to functioning again. You're isn't the first post with this same problem. Probably won't be the last either.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the welcome Ieeshor.

So is there no repair for this except going back to a backup point?

In which case, how does one get the apps to install on the D drive if the tutorial linked to doesn't work?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Most apps give you an option of where to install them at the time of the installation. Be aware that it will still consume space on the boot partition to throw support files in the Windows, (system) folder at the minimum depending on the app.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kcfitz View Post
    As the memory on my tablet was filling up fast due to the Apps I was adding etc. (only had the T200 a week!) I decided to try and be clever (and brave!) I attempted to change the settings on my T200 so that future Apps were downloaded to the 500gb drive on the keyboard dock. After searching google, I decided to follow the steps shown on the How To Geek website, and change the Registry settings (even though this is usually something I stay clear of and, no, I hadnt created a restore point!)
    I now find that none of the Apps I have loaded on the tablet memory will load and neither do the newly downloaded apps on the hard drive!
    Before I do something further that I regret, please could someone advise me firstly how to correct this move (I'm frightened of changing the Registry, without proper advice again in case I make matters worse) and secondly, how I can carry out my original task of Apps downloading to my 500gb hard drive
    Thanks in anticipation
    Dawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
    I've just purchased my Transformer and I also followed the instructions via Casters post "Disk Space Full Help!" (the one that leads to think geek and instructs on changing registry as mentioned above).

Now I keep getting an error when I try to install any apps.
    ERROR CODE: 0xd00002b8

I've googled this and not found much help at all. I've tried changing users in the microsoft store app. As that's really the only suggestions I've found. I've also run Troubleshooter and repaired Windows Update and then restarted the transfromer.... but still to no avail.

Any help on this? I'm feeling stuck with all this space on the dock and no way to utilize it if I can't install my apps there (or anywhere now for that matter).
    Did you guys tried changing back the registry to default? Or following the Geek guide to go back in reverse, that should clear any problem's which you have now, and take you back to default as you were before. I have tried this on a Windows 8 machine, and it does work.

If this step doesn't work for you, best is to try the other one's I posted in that thread, they should definitely help in clearing out space issues. Keep in-mind, registry setting's are always tricky, hence always take a backup of it first, and make sure everything is followed as written on the guide and no step is missed. My recommendation would be to try the other method's if space is your only issue, and this one didn't workout for you. Goodluck !
    Last edited by Caster; 05-18-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks.

I do have everything work back as normal again.

I will have to try the guide once more after making a new restore point. Maybe I missed something along the line? (Was pretty sure I followed it step by step, but it was also the first time I'd done anything like that.)

Space is completely the only reason for me mucking with the registry. When I install apps it !never! asks me where I want it installed and just does it's thing.

I've got a lot of reading ahead of me and have pretty much just been on these forums yesterday and today. xD Really glad to have all of the knowledge you guys have typed up on these forums. Thanks a lot for that!
    Caster likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links