Thread: SSD size for T200

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

SSD size for T200

I plan to buy the T200 very soon and am considering passing on the 500GB HD and instead putting in an SSD. Would it be the 2.5 inch (7mm) drive that I should buy for this T200? Thanks.

wallor
    Quote Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
    I plan to buy the T200 very soon and am considering passing on the 500GB HD and instead putting in an SSD. Would it be the 2.5 inch (7mm) drive that I should buy for this T200? Thanks.
    yes almost every laptop have 2.5 inch drive. i'm not good with ssd but buy one with great speed and warranty (5 years up)

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wallor View Post
    yes almost every laptop have 2.5 inch drive. i'm not good with ssd but buy one with great speed and warranty (5 years up)
    No, the T200 isn't a laptop... without the Keyboard dock HDD then there is only the internal eMMC drive but that's an embedded type and can't be replaced... So, the only upgrade option is to replace the HDD in the keyboard dock and that would be a 2.5" 7mm drive...

wallor
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    No, the T200 isn't a laptop... without the Keyboard dock HDD then there is only the internal eMMC drive but that's an embedded type and can't be replaced... So, the only upgrade option is to replace the HDD in the keyboard dock and that would be a 2.5" 7mm drive...
    How do i not speak clear. We are still talking about t200 and not philosophical thing. What could be or not or why it should be. As t200 does have 2,5 inch slot then it's not longer a philosophical thing but its fact instead so whats the problem. Everything else is just overtalk and huntertalk. which is bigger etc. Laptop or spaceship IT DOES HAVE 2,5 drive slot!
    Reference to question 2.5 inch is in comparison to 3,5 inch and thats why the statement is 2,5 inch as almost in all laptops have. omg
    Last edited by wallor; 09-30-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    OK so now I know that it is a 2.5 inch 7mm SSD that I would want. So now the question is, would there be any reason why I would want to go ahead and purchase the unit with the HDD and replace it with an SSD? The difference in price between having the 64GB with 500GB HDD is probably only going to be less than $80. Problem being at the moment is that only the 32GB with 500GB HDD is available on Amazon (64GB is available but only without the HDD at the moment). Basically, is it just as easy to install the SSD if no HDD exists or is there something that makes SSD installation easier if there is an existing HDD present? You probably can tell that I have no experience installing drives in a computer and am not sure if there would be a cable missing or something else if the HDD wasn't present to start with. Thanks.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I think you will need to buy a T200 that has the 500gb drive and then swap that out for your SSD. Two reasons -
    1) On the T100 the docks with the 500gb drive are physically different to those without one. That may well be the case on the T200
    2) Without the 500gb drive, there may well be cables or other physical connection issues that are unresolvable.

Another good reason to buy the 500gb drive is that if you remove it unused, then it will be very straightforward to keep it in store and refit it when you want to move the T200 on when you eventually replace it.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Good points, thanks Janner. I would imagine it doesn't make sense to get the 32GM + 500GB HDD model but instead should get the 64+500. I have the itch now to buy one but unfortunately the 64+500 isn't showing as available anywhere yet that I can see in the US.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wallor View Post
    How do i not speak clear.
    More like how can I speak more clearly? The T200 does not have a 2.5" drive, it's a tablet that uses a eMMC drive and that's basically a chip soldiered in... Again, only the keyboard dock gives that option and only if you get the model with the HDD... otherwise they give you the thinner keyboard with no place to put the drive!

Depending on where you get it, the HDD dock model may be the only one available but it should still be made clear that we are talking about the keyboard dock so no one tries to open up the tablet itself... Also, keep in mind that the dock connects over USB 3.0 and thus the drive will be handled over that connection and best to treat the drive as a external/removable drive and not expect too much from a SSD upgrade...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting. So it is very possible that I won't actually get much benefit by installing an SSD drive over an HHD? Also, is it pretty important to have the 64GB of RAM over the 32GB? By the way, I am not really a gamer if that matters. Thanks.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    67 times
    The benefit of an SSD over an HDD, in my opinion (other than speed) is that there are no moving parts to the SSD. When mechanicals are involved, there is more to go wrong. HDDs are more susceptible to shock damage than SSDs.

But speed will be a factor when comparing hard drives and solid-state drives no matter what the bus is capable of handling, unless the bus is very slow. The vast majority of data transfer time spent by a hard drive is seek time and rotational latency. With SSDs there is no seek time and no rotational latency at all. SSDs can access data equally fast no matter where it is stored, which isn't true for HDDs. Plus, there's spin-up time for HDDs and none for SSD. If the bus is very slow, however, even a spinning drive will have enough time to find the data and put it in the buffer before the buffer can be all transferred.

What can happen with SSDs is a slowing of read times as the drive ages due to write amplification. There are utilities that can help that, however, and bring an SSDs performance back up. Wear leveling in the drive mitigates it as well.

For most commercially-available disk drives, typically neither SSDs nor HDDs will saturate a USB 3 bus. USB 3 can handle 500 MB/s. Spinning drives are usually around 140 MB/s and SSDs from 100 MB/s to 600 MB/s
    --
    LikesCookies
    TF201 CAOKASxxxxxx/BCOKASxxxxxx
    Dock C3OKASxxxxxx

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links