Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SSD size for T200

  1. #21
    Soundwave
    Member #
    66230
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    15
    Liked
    1 times
    I believe that what wallor is trying to say is that there is only one version of the dock for T200 be it with or without HDD. And that there is a user serviceable slot to add/replace the HDD. This slot is clearly shown in the user manual for T200 and there is no indication that it is optional.

    zeo on the other hand assumes the the T200 follows in the footsteps of the T100 in offering 2 versions of dock (with and without HDD). And that you would need to dismantle the dock in some way to add/change the HDD.

    These are 2 different opinions here and potentially very confusing to people who are considering to buy this device. Please clear this confusion.

    IMHO, I would go with wallor as he is a current owner of the device

  2. #22
    Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    41525
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Posts
    981
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eyesee View Post
    zeo on the other hand assumes the the T200 follows in the footsteps of the T100
    No, I did initially make that assumption and in many ways it does as there are only a few differences, but my main point from the beginning was not to confuse the OP by making assumptions of what they knew! Again, to someone who doesn't know enough about how the system is configured they could easily wrongly assume there is a drive inside the tablet itself and mistakenly take it apart to get to the drive... After all, there are tablets with actual HDDs inside of them and larger tablets like the T200 tend to have them... Never mind the other types of SSDs like mSATA, PCI Express, etc...

    The user manual helps, of course, but not everyone reads the manual and often the manual is the same regardless of specific model and thus if Asus does release a different version it can be confusing even then... Asus also often releases different versions of a model in different regions... So we can't assume how it's configured in one region will be the same everywhere!

    While details like whether the drive needs to be 7mm or thinner wasn't made clear right away either...

    Mind, this all started with the OP expressing the desire to get a 64GB without a HDD and just install a SSD... to which wallor replied...

    Quote Originally Posted by wallor View Post
    yes almost every laptop have 2.5 inch drive.

    Which is a very vague statement and lumps the T200 with regular laptops that have internal replaceable drives... and would make anyone reading it who didn't know better that they can just open up the device and install a SSD... and the fact he owns one already would pretty much make quite a few not even bother to verify...

    Really, people make this kind of mistake all the time and it's much more common than you may think... Especially, when acting on advice that they assume is clear and accurate but often leaves out some important detail or simply isn't described clearly because of a mistranslation of what had been stated or the person giving the advice simply assumed everything would be clear...

    Regardless, I've made sure the OP is clear on everything...
    janner43 likes this.

  3. #23
    Starscream
    Member #
    791
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Tablet
    None
    Posts
    254
    Liked
    20 times
    I am completely confused! From reviews I have read and from reading the user manual, it appears that all T200 models have a HDD slot in the dock and that either a HDD or a SSD could be installed in the slot if user wanted. This thread seems to say that there are two types of dock, one with a HDD slot that comes with models that come with a HDD and one that doesn't have a HDD slot that comes with models that come with no HDD.

    Can someone clear up my confusion?

    Thanks, Jim

  4. #24
    Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    41525
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Posts
    981
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
    Can someone clear up my confusion?
    Confusion originated between what the OP originally asked for, along with confusing reply that could have given anyone who didn't double check the system specs the wrong idea of how to upgrade the system that was further compounded by the unknown factor of whether Asus wouldn't have another model with a different configuration that wouldn't allow it... Problem is Asus does tend to release different models with different configurations, especially in different regions and the T200 variants haven't really been fully rolled out yet and all we had to go on is what they did with the variants of the T100 series, which the T200 is basically just a larger version...

    However, it doesn't look like Asus will be releasing other variants, at least in the US, and thus, as long as you're in the US, you presently don't have anything to worry about... The present models will have the removable bottom drive bay cover regardless of whether you get the model with the 500GB HDD or not...

    Though, we now have a new higher end model of the T200 to consider that instead of the Z3775 and 2GB of RAM is configured with the Z3795 and 4GB of RAM, along with being the first T-Series with 64bit Windows 8.1 and 64bit UEFI... Though, it remains to be seen whether, aside from having more RAM, whether it'll perform significantly better than the version with the Z3775... Since, mobile SoCs are often balanced against a power budget and thermal limits that may prevent the SoC from reaching its full performance and no benchmarks of this new model are out yet to compare...

    The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 10, for example, offers the Z3795 too but doesn't score as well as it should because of the way Lenovo optimized their tablet... Though, for this new T200, a dedicated charging port with laptop style charger makes it more likely they'll at least allow full performance when plugged in, but we'll have to wait for reviews to be sure...

  5. #25
    Starscream
    Member #
    791
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Tablet
    None
    Posts
    254
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Confusion originated between what the OP originally asked for, along with confusing reply that could have given anyone who didn't double check the system specs the wrong idea of how to upgrade the system that was further compounded by the unknown factor of whether Asus wouldn't have another model with a different configuration that wouldn't allow it... Problem is Asus does tend to release different models with different configurations, especially in different regions and the T200 variants haven't really been fully rolled out yet and all we had to go on is what they did with the variants of the T100 series, which the T200 is basically just a larger version...

    However, it doesn't look like Asus will be releasing other variants, at least in the US, and thus, as long as you're in the US, you presently don't have anything to worry about... The present models will have the removable bottom drive bay cover regardless of whether you get the model with the 500GB HDD or not...

    Though, we now have a new higher end model of the T200 to consider that instead of the Z3775 and 2GB of RAM is configured with the Z3795 and 4GB of RAM, along with being the first T-Series with 64bit Windows 8.1 and 64bit UEFI... Though, it remains to be seen whether, aside from having more RAM, whether it'll perform significantly better than the version with the Z3775... Since, mobile SoCs are often balanced against a power budget and thermal limits that may prevent the SoC from reaching its full performance and no benchmarks of this new model are out yet to compare...

    The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 10, for example, offers the Z3795 too but doesn't score as well as it should because of the way Lenovo optimized their tablet... Though, for this new T200, a dedicated charging port with laptop style charger makes it more likely they'll at least allow full performance when plugged in, but we'll have to wait for reviews to be sure...
    Thanks for the clarification! I had also been confused about the 4 GB ram model. The reviews I had seen talked about 2 GB ram, but the current model on Amazon has 4 GB ram. And some specs seem to show Windows 8.1 32 bit, while others show 64 bit. Anyway, I just ordered the Amazon T200TA-C1 model to replace the T100 I sold a few months ago. I liked the T100 alot, but the 10.1 inch screen was just too small for me.

    Thanks, Jim

  6. #26
    Jazz
    Member #
    29994
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hungary
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Posts
    39
    Liked
    4 times
    I bought my T200 64GB modell, 2GB ram etc... in Hungary with the keyboard and I CAN CONFIRM, that there is a place for hdd/ssd INSIDE the KEYBOARD! I also got screws so I can fit in later an HDD or an SSD. So I got the T200 with HDD/SSD upgrade possibility WITHOUTH the 500GB HDD... And it was brand new, the seller opened the box in front of me and we checked everything. The website of the shop also advertised this version WITHOUTH 500GB HDD but with upgradeable HDD/SSD. So, no HDD inside, BUT I have the place to put an HDD or an SSD later to my T200 keyboard. I hope that you understand me.

  7. #27
    Starscream
    Member #
    791
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Tablet
    None
    Posts
    254
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon59 View Post
    I bought my T200 64GB modell, 2GB ram etc... in Hungary with the keyboard and I CAN CONFIRM, that there is a place for hdd/ssd INSIDE the KEYBOARD! I also got screws so I can fit in later an HDD or an SSD. So I got the T200 with HDD/SSD upgrade possibility WITHOUTH the 500GB HDD... And it was brand new, the seller opened the box in front of me and we checked everything. The website of the shop also advertised this version WITHOUTH 500GB HDD but with upgradeable HDD/SSD. So, no HDD inside, BUT I have the place to put an HDD or an SSD later to my T200 keyboard. I hope that you understand me.
    Yeah, mine came with a tiny ziplock with four screws inside and a label that says "Screws for Hard Drive".

    Jim

  8. #28
    Starscream
    Member #
    791
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Tablet
    None
    Posts
    254
    Liked
    20 times
    Just clear up any remaining doubts, I installed a 128 GB, 2.5 inch, 7mm, SanDisk ssd in my T200TA-C1 this morning. There is only one slightly tricky issue. The bay cover slides slightly toward the hinge before it can be lifted and removed. And, my fumble fingers had a little trouble with nine tiny screws. one for the cover, four for the drive bracket and four for the ssd.

    Why 128 GB rather than 256 GB or larger? I had one available from another upgrade. If storage space gets tight I can always go with something bigger.

    Would a 9 mm ssd fit? Probably, if the screw holes line up, but with a very close fit. It might cause a slight bulge in the bay cover. If I had one lying around, I would give it a try, but I wouldn't buy one for an upgrade. There are plenty of 7 mm ssd available. Not so many 7 mm hdd though.

    Regards, Jim
    Last edited by hawkeye62; 10-19-2014 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #29
    Soundwave
    Member #
    74306
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Posts
    5
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there any reason to get an SSD over a larger capacity HDD for less $$$ considering it's limited to USB 3.0 anyway?

    Other than possibly better reliability of no moving parts. I have laptops with HDDs for many many years, rare to see a problem.....so that is a moot point to me. I am interested in whether the SSD speed/access time is even realized with the USB 3.0 limitations on it.

    edit:
    Was considering this "dual drive" 128gb ssd and a 1TB HDD in the same 2.5" drive.

    http://www.amazon.com/Black2-Dual-Dr...words=2.5+sshd

    From reading reviews, it's 9.5mm or maybe 8.8mm thick. Not sure if that fits. And no idead if it'd even work with the t200 since it says "up to 1tb standard 2.5 hdd".
    Last edited by Endless; 10-25-2014 at 09:43 PM.

  10. #30
    Starscream
    Member #
    35998
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Tablet
    TF201
    Posts
    302
    Liked
    67 times
    There has to be some difference in speed. My research shows that USB 3.0 speeds are generally higher that either HDD or SSD uses. This means that the HDD latencies will be the source of most delays, which gives SSDs the clear edge.
    --
    LikesCookies
    TF201 CAOKASxxxxxx/BCOKASxxxxxx
    Dock C3OKASxxxxxx

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. First Asus Transformer Book T200 review
    By andreqs in forum Asus Transformer Book T200 General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2014, 05:06 AM
  2. The Asus Book T200 is available in the UK
    By maxal in forum Asus Transformer Book T200 General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 04:39 AM
  3. Meet the Asus T200 z3775 model
    By garryknight in forum Asus Transformer Book T200 General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 05:46 PM
  4. Meet the Asus T200 z3775 model
    By garryknight in forum Asus Transformer Book T100 General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
  5. question about gig size and sd card size
    By tazz3 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM

Search tags for this page

asus t200 hard drive

,
asus t200 replace disk
,

asus t200 ssd

,
asus transformer book t200 hdd
,

asus transformer book t200 ssd

,
hard drive for asus t200
,

max hdd for asus t200

,
ssd for asus t200
,

ssd to t200 bay

,
thickness hard disk for t2oo
,
transformer t200 hard disc drive
,
transformer t200 ssd size
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.