Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SSD size for T200

wallor
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    More like how can I speak more clearly? The T200 does not have a 2.5" drive, it's a tablet that uses a eMMC drive and that's basically a chip soldiered in... Again, only the keyboard dock gives that option and only if you get the model with the HDD... otherwise they give you the thinner keyboard with no place to put the drive!

Depending on where you get it, the HDD dock model may be the only one available but it should still be made clear that we are talking about the keyboard dock so no one tries to open up the tablet itself... Also, keep in mind that the dock connects over USB 3.0 and thus the drive will be handled over that connection and best to treat the drive as a external/removable drive and not expect too much from a SSD upgrade...
    Well i will say it again. How do i not speak clear. Because i own one t200 64 gb without hdd. For the sake of argument. Does t200 come in bundle with keyboard. Yes? No? Get facts together man and stop with huntertalk. T200 comes bundle with keyboard. Reference. Keyboard have open slot for 2,5" drive bundlet or not it still have a open slot. No thinner keyboard variant. Yes? This is the model that comes as it is it have slot eather way. Yes? So what emmc have to do at all with 2,5 inch slot once again which is available with or without bundle hdd purchase. Yes? The 2.5inch drive surves as external drive. Yes? And you are correct it uses usb 3.0 connection. Yes? And last my hdd uses sata 2 interface. yes? How can i speak clearer that 2.5 inch have nothing to do with emmc when we talk that there is a slot either way which ever bundle you buy. Yes? And mine version came without hdd bundle but it did have open 2.5 inch slot anyway. Yes? And i used my old rubish hdd and it works like a charm. Yes? It even got recognized with windows 7 on it witout wiring cable issues or some extra drivers. Yes. Western Digital. Yes. Tell me do talk about emmc again. Please. Huntertalk aka bs talk. Your keyboard surves on multiple levels, not just as keyboard but as external hdd/sdd dock also which is integrated in to a keyboard, yes? And yes you are correct it uses usb3.0 which is fast enough. Take tablet away and then it uses emmc but it still comes bundlet with keyboard wich have open slot available or occupied slot depending on bundle. There are maybe 4 version for now. I didnt find any bundle on internet with windows 64 version, reference. Driver support page have 64 bit drivers, thats why it will exist. 4 versions are. 64Gb without hdd bundle with open slot, 32gb without hdd with open slot and 32gb/64Gb with hdd occupied slot. Wow talk about stubbornness.
    P.S t200 is not t100 which have thinner keyboard without option for hdd/ssd and thicker keyboard. T200 have one keyboard solution which have open slot. There is a one screw to open the lid and put what ever type of 2.5 7mm drive you like. Done and done!
    Last edited by wallor; 09-30-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
    Interesting. So it is very possible that I won't actually get much benefit by installing an SSD drive over an HHD? Also, is it pretty important to have the 64GB of RAM over the 32GB? By the way, I am not really a gamer if that matters. Thanks.
    64GB of build in storage generally helps as that will be the drive capacity you can count on at all times, while the KB dock drive will only be available when you use the KB dock and aren't using the T200 as a tablet...

It's generally good to keep the internal drive at least half empty or it could impede performance for example, and is generally better for the longevity of the drive... Though, you could go out of your way, like some have done with the T100, and change the install to a WIMBoot version to maximize available space but having 64GB also means you won't need to be as careful about constant maintenance to constantly remove unnecessary files, etc. from the system... especially the constant stream of updates that tend to eat up free space over time...

You should also take account of how much space the programs/apps you do want to use will take up... Even if you're not a gamer these can still add up and not everything can be put onto an external drive, though many opt for using the microSD card as an expansion option instead but still risk it popping out, etc...

Anyway, for performance gains and limits check out the T100 topics for how the USB 3 handles... The T200 is basically just a larger version of the T100 and thus you'll get similar performance, especially with the updated T100 that also uses the same Z3775 SoC as the T200...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Great information. Thanks very much.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wallor View Post
    Well i will say it again. How do i not speak clear. Because i own one t200 64 gb without hdd. For the sake of argument. Does t200 come in bundle with keyboard. Yes? No?
    The version in the US is presently limited to just the HDD bundled version but this does not mean they are doing the same in all regions, mind the OP never indicated where they are, nor does it mean they won't release other versions later like they've already done with the T100... Again, the T200 is basically just a bigger version of the T100 that is just a newer release and has yet to be as widely available...

Get facts together man and stop with huntertalk.
    Sorry but you're the one making confusing statements... The OP is obviously new to these models, otherwise they wouldn't be asking these questions, and anyone who doesn't know how they are configured won't know that when you make a blanket statement about being able to upgrade a drive that you don't mean the internal drive! Especially, when you use wording that makes no such distinction and the OP already made a statement that would suggest the distinction wasn't clear to them yet...

T200 comes bundle with keyboard. Reference. Keyboard have open slot for 2,5" drive bundlet or not it still have a open slot. No thinner keyboard variant. Yes?
    Yes, all models come bundled with a keyboard and presently the version of the T200 that is being sold in the US is the version with the HDD but no... The version of the Keyboard without the HDD is thinner and the metal plate inside doesn't have the opening for the HDD... This is how it is for the T100 and there's no reason for Asus to change that for the T200 because these devices aren't suppose to be user serviceable and budget devices tend to minimize material costs...

Regardless, like I stated before more precise wording is required to not cause anyone to mistakenly try and open the tablet to upgrade the drive instead of only the Keyboard dock! Not everyone even knows the difference between a eMMC and SSD...

Really, I help people with computers all the time... you do have to be careful how you describe what they can and can't do with their systems! And it's not like there are no tablets ever sold with actual SSDs and/or even HDDs to confuse people with even some knowledge...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I actually didn't know that the T100 had a different keyboard dock dependent upon whether it came with a HDD or not so that is good to know. And it would make sense to me that Asus would follow the same model/strategy for the T200 as well. I am hoping that it being early in the distribution cycle that the thinner dock is not yet in the supply chain. Yes I am aware of where the subject drive would go (bottom of keyboard dock). I am in the US and the only models showing up on Amazon are from OneDealOutlet Online. Unfortunately the pictures do not show the bottom of the dock however I did send an email to the company and am hoping for a response. My preference at this point is 64GB without HDD and then install a Samsung solid state drive into the available dock bay.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    And it would make sense to me that Asus would follow the same model/strategy for the T200 as well.
    It's also because of the weight distribution... The metal plate acts like a counter weight to keep the system from being too top heavy while using the KB Dock... but without the added weight of the HDD then more of the metal plate is needed to provide the weight for the KB... Otherwise the system would topple every time you push the tablet back too far and would have to use your hands to keep the KB in place... Along with keeping the KB from flexing as you type...

Unfortunately the pictures do not show the bottom of the dock however I did send an email to the company and am hoping for a response.
    The company tends not to help with user modifications as opening the casing voids warranty but you can likely follow the similar instructions for disassembling the T100's KB dock... the T200's is bigger but the procedure should be basically the same...

My preference at this point is 64GB without HDD and then install a Samsung solid state drive into the available dock bay.
    This is one of the reasons why I didn't want to confuse you by not making it clear what your options actually were...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    B&H Photo actually has a link to the T200 User Manual in PDF. Chapter 4 shows instructions for installing a hard drive. It looks pretty straightforward.

wallor
    Zoe I'm talking about something which is obvious man. Emmc is internal drive where windows is installed on. Have faith mate. People are not that stupid even if they not know which variants are out there. The main two models comes in 32 gb or 64 gb flash memory which is used for windows at all time. This is the main selling point. I did check usa's stores and talk about marketing mess. You dont even know what you are buying. No spec no nothing. That is so messed up. As i recall ces for t200. This is the model that comes as it is. You get lan connector in this model and there is no way that there is some so downgraded verison of it which comes without that connectivity. You cant make keyboard thinner with option of not having open slot but do have lan connector. I see this now in real life infront of me with my t200. But as i recall ces this model is presented just as i bought it. With lan connector and open slot with lid slide. I checked amazon page. I dont know whats is what. Some version of t200 which is ridicilous. But believe me there is no way that t200 comes without a lid slot for optional drive. And price, omg. I did get mine for 400 euros 64gb version. Its good that you help others. But emmc internal drive is something which is so obvious to me anyway. But as i said people are not stupid to not know the difference. If there is a version as you say without any slot. But some metal plate like in t100 then that is even more messed up. Where is the room for lan connector? Just please check youtube at ces and you will get my point. No disrespect.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Hello wallor

You are making a good contribution to this thread & are doing a great job with English as clearly it is not your first language.

Can I just remind you that we do have a rule on this forum that all posts are made in a polite way. Some of yours are very close to the edge and come over as being agressive. I am sure that is not what you intend, but I felt that a little friendly guidance for you might just help along the way.

All the best

3. Personal attacks (Flaming, Name Calling) on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Have faith mate. People are not that stupid even if they not know which variants are out there.
    It has nothing to do with intelligence, many people simply don't know enough about the technology that goes into these devices... Again, I help a lot of people with computers and this is from experience!

It's never good to assume what people know, especially when not being precise means someone voids their warranty and gets stuck with a damaged system...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links