Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times

[GUIDE] T200 Advanced Users Technical Driver & Firmware Update Guide

Has anyone seen this update?

ping.png

I googled it and it appears to be related to an X98 Air tablet. These unseen Windows Updates shown by this troubleshooter are no longer automatically installed because of massive complaints awhile ago to MS However if you select the hardware in question and manually choose to update the driver on online it will update it.

I know the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and for most normal users that is true. I am on the opposite end of that spectrum in that I search for the best (or better than) and try them anyway to see what they do.

I'll be darned though if I can figure out which piece of hardware this is for. It's not the "obvious" System Firmware, and I am getting impatient with ASUS waiting on their T200TAC BIOS update which I was told almost two months ago they were getting ready to release.

Anyway if you took the time to read this the following links "might" interest you.

Microsoft Tech Bench

You can download the "Latest" retail ISO here for 32B or 64B. You can either use it straight up or customize it with DISM to remove the "clutter" apps and include your latest updated drivers. Just use your favorite tool (I use RUFUS)

It installs the retail "Home" version, so your current digital license will/may not activate it... But never fear as once you sign in with your MS account? The store will notify you of the updates and allow you to install what is missing, and will activate easy breezy.

Its kind of nice to have this install if you have lots of family members or friends or customers with different versions, because you can use one USB (or DVD if you prefer) and then just update to their version.

There are also proper Chipset Drivers from Intel and though they are basic drivers? They are better than the ASUS ones currently. I "Suggest" using the -overall switch which will over write all the intel drivers so that windows will not install its uber generic ones, but that is entirely up to you.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Thanks for your helpful post.
    You are Welcome

There are also really good USB 3.0 drivers from Intel which have been modded for Windows 10 that have almost doubled my data transfer (random read 53 MB/S to 96 MB/S) on my SSD which is installed in the keyboard dock.

I am still waiting for ASUS to release a new BIOS to address that issue (Windows doesn't recognize the drive as an SSD because ASUS has "Spoofed" the system firmware into seeing the Dock as an HDD named ASM1153 that is an external USB drive <eyeroll> I "Suspect" so that we cannot boot from it.) which causes Windows to improperly setup SSD's and will automatically "Optimize" them by running defrag on them.

If you have connected an SSD to your Windows 10 tablet that is not being identified properly you may wish to disable automatic disk maintenance. Also, if you haven't figured out how to run a Trim command on your SSD, you can download Defraggler from Piriform which will properly identify your drives and run a full zero byte optimize or a quick "trim".

You can visit and read more/download USB 3.0 / 3.1 drivers from Fernando’s Win-RAID Forum Storage Drivers - BIOS Modding

Scroll down to D. for Intel drivers and click on the + by spoilers to download and get instructions. If you do not want to use the modded drivers you can still install the raw drivers, but they are not digitally signed for windows 10 though they work just fine.
    Swipe likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    I thought that "perhaps" it might be helpful to suggest a few tools that I use. This would be more for those who are not newbies but also not uber geeks

I was pondering whether or not to include some tutorials but decided not to as so many things can go wrong (and Occam's razor suggests they will) that it would be better for new learners to discover google and lots and lots of clicking and reading.

One site I've used for some basic information (some advanced too) is Drivers Cloud If there are drivers out there, and if they are in the database? This site will offer links to them, as well as let you know which ones are "preferred" or considered safest. The site tends toward manufacturer site drivers.

A program I like for all the information (and then some) you could ever want to know about your hardware and system configuration is HWiFO, it's freeware and comes in 32/64 bit flavors.

If you would like to inject all your third party drivers to your setup? It's really not that hard. A program called Double Driver while dated works just fine in windows 10.

It will identify all of the drivers installed on your system and will allow you to select those you want to extract. By default, it will only check third party drivers, and I "STRONGLY" suggest you do not include window drivers. By default it extracts the entire package to a "Folder Structure" and that's best.

For the purpose of injecting the drivers using DISM? Make sure to change to default path to something simple like C:\drivers or it might not work in DISM depending on the path to your Username|Document folder, as any spaces will keep the command from working.

dd.png

OK, maybe just one tutorial

1.) At an elevated command prompt type the following command to retrieve the name or index number for the image that you want to modify. For example, type:

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:X:\sources\install.wim

(Where X is the drive letter for your Win10 Setup) An index or name value is required for most operations that specify a WIM file.

2.) Next, mount the offline Windows image. For example, type:

Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:X:\sources\install.wim /Name:"Whatever name shows in step 1" /MountDir:C:\test\offline

(Where X is the drive letter for your Win10 Setup) and (You will need to create the folders test (then open and create folder offline) on your C: drive BEFORE executing #2)

3.) Multiple drivers can be added on one command line if you specify a folder. To install all of the drivers in a folder and all its subfolders use the /recurse option. For example,

Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:c:\drivers /Recurse

(Where C:\drivers is the path/folder you had Double Driver save your drivers too)

4.) If you need to install an unsigned driver, use /ForceUnsigned to override the requirement that drivers installed on X64-based computers must have a digital signature. For example,

Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:c:\drivers /Recurse /ForceUnsigned

5.) if you are done with the image?

Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\test\offline /Commit

And you are ready to go. You can do a clean install with all the correct and up to date third party drivers. There might still be some Windows Updates that include drivers, which is why you should not include windows drivers when using Double Driver, as they might come with other system drivers that the program doesn't know about.
    Last edited by i2McAbre; 02-09-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added Something

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    If you are like me in that you update your drivers often or try different ones to see if they will work the below program might be for you.

It's an older application but works just as good as new on Windows 10. It will enumerate your Windows Driverstore and give you a list of all drivers located within.

Its purpose you might ask? It will delete all drivers from the store that are not in use by your system! The very cool thing is that if you just want to hardcore it? You can simply select all the checkboxes and click to delete them all because the program will not affect any drivers that are actually in use!

P.S. DO NOT CHECK the Force Delete box if you are wanting to take the shortcut by selecting all the boxes! That will remove drivers that are currently installed and in use

RAPR.png
    Last edited by i2McAbre; 02-22-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: PS'd :)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    So I have been working on improvements and also discovering new things.

I recently updated the Intel Manageability Engine Firmware, which is VERY dated in this model from ASUS. The original version was IME 1.0.1090.4 and the latest version I was able to locate with some great help from another forum is IME 1.0.1133.7. Anyone who knows about this stuff knows that you cannot "flash" update to anything higher than 1.0. I know that I can get to 1.2 (and perhaps beyond) but that requires opening the tablet up and using a programmer, and I haven't had the time to focus on that as it's income tax season here in the US till 04/15

Doing that update added a few "new" features for this device. Intel Technology Access and Intel Security Assist. Also, for some odd reason, my system firmware just updated to that pictured below. Everything is working fine so I do not know if its right or not though the UEFI is AMI and its loaded on a Winbond chip.

AMI.png

I have also been working on undoing the nonsense that ASUS did with the SATA controller located on the PCIe device bridge located inside the keyboard, I'm having to learn about modding, but it seems pretty straight forward.

What they did was take the GUID of the controller and insert a custom set of device instructions in the EFI Bios, so that when you turn on the machine the controller gets identified as a "USB Mass Storage Device" complete with device settings, setup instructions and driver (eye roll). Once I have a little more time I am going to match the GUID with the bios file I dumped and try deleting it (see if windows will identify it) or using proper device driver and settings (need to identify the chips used on the bridge, had it all out the other day, but couldn't find my magnifying glass.)

If anyone is interested in images of the device opened (keyboard for now, tablet later) let me know with a quick reply or ?
    janner43 likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    I'd like to make this a highlighted thread if we can come up with a more descriptive thread title...

How about [GUIDE] T200 Advanced Users Technical Driver & Firmware Update Guide

Let me know if you think of something better & I'll get it done...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Your suggestion is just fine I can talk a good post but not name them

I am working on my first BIOS Mod... Gotta run repair to see what I broke, the bios setup loads but windows boot loader says a device is missing, I "think" Asus named their C: drive the same as the USB Mass Storage Device that is actually the SATA port on the bridge (shakes head)

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Thread retitled & stuck.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by i2McAbre View Post
    Gotta run repair to see what I broke, the bios setup loads but windows boot loader says a device is missing, I "think" Asus named their C: drive the same as the USB Mass Storage Device that is actually the SATA port on the bridge (shakes head)
    Well, I have Good News and Bad News.

The Good News is that I isolated the entry in the UEFI Bios file which makes the system "See" the connector and identify it as a USB Mass Storage Device, my first test was to simply remove it in its entirety to see if Windows would identify it for what it actually is and if needed helping me to create a device entry to replace the one I deleted with the proper information, should I want to be able to boot from that drive.

The Bad News is I "suspect" I bricked my device because I totally forgot that everything is loaded on one Winbond Chip in their own "Regions", and that I should "ONLY" have checked the Main BIOS Image, and nothing else.

ami.png

Like an idiot I checked the "Program all Blocks" instead of just selecting the BIOS Image, TOTALLY forgetting that the BIOS resides on the same chip as the IME and other blocks.

So I can boot to a BSOD, it will even ask me for my Bitlocker Key if I disable secure boot, I cannot get past the bootloader, however, not even with any of my USB's (Gparted Linux), (Windows 10 Recovery) or (Windows 10 Setup). What's odd is that I can see the list of options like safe mode etc, and if I hit escape will change over to the default screen for windows that show the Memory test at the bottom, and can run that.

The BIOS "See's" properly formatted devices, you can boot to them, but the process hangs on the "Blue Window" or the Grub loader.

So I cannot say if the Mod worked or not because I think that checking the wrong box broke it, not the mod.

It will take a few days to get a replacement (gotta love replacement warranties at times like this, they have yet to fail me).

I'll keep everyone posted.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by i2McAbre View Post
    It will take a few days to get a replacement (gotta love replacement warranties at times like this, they have yet to fail me).

I'll keep everyone posted.

Being the spontaneous person I am I traded up to a better (?) newer model.

Its selling fast Only 5 left in stock

Got to LOVE Amazon Prime free next day... Anyway...

It's a TP550L 360 Flip

15.6 in HD LED touchscreen (1366 x 768), 10-finger multi-touch support
    Intel HD Graphics 5500 with shared graphics memory
    Intel Core i5-5200U 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.70 GHz
    4GB DDR3L 1600MHz SDRAM (Two Slots/ System supports up to 12GB)
    500GB Hard Drive
    DVD+/-R
    1 USB 3.0 , 2 USB 2.0
    Full-Size HDMI
    Bluetooth 4.0
    RealTek multi-format digital media reader 2.0
    Waves MaxxAudio
    802.11b/g/n (Miracast enabled)
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller LAN (10/100/1000)
    Qualcomm Atheros AR946x Wireless Network Adapter

The absolute best part about this device is that "so far" it seems that everything's replaceable/upgradeable! I immediately put my SSD to good use and the speed boost was incredible, did a clean install in less than 10 minutes (from start to desktop) and it boots in what seems like 3-5 seconds. You can change out the DVD player, the Battery, there are 4 fans, and this thing was easy to access, 10 screws and the cover pops right off, everything is right there, and the old "Hardware Geek" in me did a happy dance because I recognized everything, though it's all smaller

It also has a nice camera (screen side), a USB 3.1 port and a few more goodies. The Keyboard is a bit wonky as it has a "Numeric Keypad" and I am having to get used to where the Del key is and of course its much larger as seen in my comparison picture below. I couldn't resist. I am going to send my T200TAC in for repair and work on this stuff too. I just comfort shop sometimes and I am a bit stuck on how to re-flash the T200. It will boot to the loader, drives are seen, I can enter in my Bitlocker Key, I can access Quick Flash App (it "See's" the EFI partition, nothing else, so I am going to set up an EFI partition on my USB drive) and the Memory Test runs. Just that nothing (operating system, windows/Linux Gparted, Recovery USB) will load past the boot screen.

I'll figure it out

WIN_20160411_11_44_54_Pro.jpg
    Last edited by i2McAbre; 04-16-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added More Blah Blah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links