Thread: [Solved] Lost 2 GB of Ram

mj0
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    4 times
    dflute, don't get me wrong. I'm all for trying and troubleshooting myself first. But if I swap seat covers in my car for brand-new flashy shiny ones and the car engine fails while I take the new seat covers out for their first spin it swapping covers back won't fix my engine

If Windows 10 was reporting 2GB of RAM while BIOS was reporting 4GB then yes, it would most likely be a software issue. If, however, both Windows and the BIOS report only 2GB of RAM then it's highly unlikely that Windows is at fault here but more likely that one of the two memory chips soldered onto the mainboard has either lost contact or failed for some other reason. What I always do in these cases is boot Linux off a flash drive and see what it reports. That's the best and easiest way to make sure it's not software but hardware related.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mj0 View Post
    What I always do in these cases is boot Linux off a flash drive and see what it reports. That's the best and easiest way to make sure it's not software but hardware related.
    Do the have a stable working version yet? I sort of gave up awhile ago due to the desire to not have to learn a whole new system... again... I sort of get Linux, but start to brain fart when it gets to technical...

I know Intel released their "Smart" stick for "Dumb" HDTV's... And its supposed to have a working Linux (Ubuntu?) version on it... But I haven't checked recently to see if it'll work on this...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    mj0 - good points, I especially like the idea of booting into Linux to check. It still seems odd this occurred mystically at the moment of Win10 upgrade without dropping the unit, throwing a bottle of water on it, etc., but strange things do occur.

In explanation of my grumpy post...found out last night I've got some virus/bug myself. 100 degree fever when I finally broke down and took my temp (I'd just been feeling dizzy and overheated for two days prior to that, and just assumed it was allergies). My apologies.

Eric

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DKL View Post
    It's because the BIOS is not setup for recognizing the extra memory on the 64bit OS. Might also be due to Windows 10 not having a BIOS designed for it yet.
    This unit was specifically designed for the 64 bit architecture, it came with 8.1 64 bit pre-installed. So I felt OK presuming that it would support Windows 10 64 bit... Also the first thing I did was to update the BIOS to BIOS 205 (T200TAC) Implement Win 10 continuum function. And while that was a nightmare of ASUS's creation (you couldn't use their BIOS updater, it kept throwing error messages), I was able to boot to a USB Drive and update the BIOS from directly within using the file itself.

The system still reported 4 GB of ram at that time, and I clean installed Windows 10 from the ISO I downloaded after it became available to us "insiders" several days before the public got it. So there are no Windows 8.1 files to revert to, not to mention that ASUS had originally set this (these) devices up with a hidden WimBoot partition, which of course went away with Windows 10.

It wasnt until recently that I noticed the System Properties page only reporting 2 GB of ram, and then checking the BIOS and finding it reported the same, that I posted here. Wondering if anyone else had had the same/similar experience.

To be honest I wouldn't even post if I haven't already tried everything i could think of, which is why I faltered at asking ASUS, because even after telling their Customer Support folks that they could skip all the first parts of their scripts, detailing the results for them what was done, they ignored that, and still asked me to do what i had already done, and had already reported the results of... That doesn't give a strong sense of trust... And I have software that is activated for this device, so am hesitant of letting them replace it (though I know that's really my only option)...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Say... Just curious and grasping for straws here but... Before Windows 10 BIOS 205 update and Windows 10 OS update... There were more then one devices listed under Firmware... And now there is only this one...

dm.png

Did this change happen for others who updated their t200's to Windows 10? I have the TAC model (The "Corporate" model) which came with a one year accidental drop coverage and a more durable (or so it reports) shell/screen...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

It also happened to me.

Model:T200TA-CP018H (sold in Italy)
    Original config: 4GB RAM/ 32 GB storage

How it happened:
    1. Updated BIOS to 205TAC
    2. Upgraded to Windows 10
    3. Lost 2GB RAM

Now even if went back to Win 8.1, I see 2GB in BIOS and in Windows
    Last edited by sky200; 08-20-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    There must be a flaw in that firmware. Have you submitted a ticked to ASUS?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching
    Liked
    0 times
    Well,

The support from Asus was lame, they told me that if I use WinFlash to update the BIOS, they do not repair anything under warranty, that I should only update the BIOS with Asus Live Update ....

BUT !!!!

I have just solved my problem:

1. I have downloaded the new WinFlash 3.0.1 for Win 10 (from the WinFlash page on the Asus site, not the version from the T200TA support page).
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download WinFlash

The file is Winflash_Win10_64_VER301.zip (the newer 14-aug-2015 version for Windows 10 64bit)

2. I have used Winflash.exe /nodate and reflashed the BIOS TAC Version 205 (file: T200TAC-AS.205 the one that lost my RAM)

3. After reboot and flash, I have again 4GB of RAM.

P.S. I also suspect the BIOS flashing to be the problem, to be honest I do not know when the 2GB were lost, after BIOS update or after Win10 upgrade...
    When I updated the BIOS the first time I did it with EZflash, afterwards I have tried to downgrade to an older version or to reflash 205 version with all the WinFlash.exe I could find (and the BIOS flashing would not start), but it seems that this WinFlash 3.0.1 from August 14 could do it for me.
    Last edited by sky200; 08-20-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Nice to hear it's back. Marked solved.
    Seeing as I am the original poster... :P

Quote Originally Posted by sky200 View Post
    The support from Asus was lame, they told me that if I use WinFlash to update the BIOS, they do not repair anything under warranty, that I should only update the BIOS with Asus Live Update ....

BUT !!!!

I have just solved my problem:
    At least they replied to you... I am on day 4 with no response from ASUS...

But if this works? THANK YOU Sky200!!! I really did not want to send this on to them...

Hooray! I could Kiss you Sky! It worked like a charm!

Did you by any chance update your BIOS the first time with a USB directly through the BIOS? That may offer a clue as to why it failed for folks in the future who might have the same problem...
    Last edited by i2McAbre; 08-21-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: TO report SUCCESS!
    janner43 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links