Thread: Weird CPU clock speed behaviour

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    4 times

Weird CPU clock speed behavior

I'm finding my T200 is showing very weird CPU throttling behavior, very much like already discussed in this thread about the T100: [ SOLVED ] CPU clock speed problem ?

Long story short here's the problem: when running on battery the CPU doesn't clock down to its lowest possible speed, aka 500 MHz, even when the laptop is more or less completely idle (1-2% CPU usage). The CPU frequency remains at somewhere between 1.4 GHz and 2.2 GHz which obviously drains the battery rather quickly. However, as soon as I plug in the power supply frequency drops to 500/600 MHz immediately. Unfortunately it then goes back up as soon as I unplug it.

My prime suspect are energy/power settings. However, I can barely change anything with only one plan available and no real possibilities for adjustment. For example, on my Thinkpad I can actually configure the max and min CPU speed on both battery and a/c power. I'm afraid that either ASUS or Intel have messed this one up and I can't fix it. I know for sure that once the battery drops below a certain threshold (my guess would be either 10% because it doesn't seem to react to neither low nor reserve battery level configured in power options) the CPU doesn't run any faster than 500 MHz anymore, which makes using this laptop a giant PITA, to say the least.

Is there a solution to this mess?
    Last edited by mj0; 07-09-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    I find the single power setting annoying myself. I can't answer about the CPU, but I noticed in the Intel HD Graphics settings there is an energy saving setting and you can shift it to maximum battery. Maybe that would help? It couldn't hurt.

I just looked at my CPU speeds sitting here when I wasn't typing and on this page, and it popped up and down a bit but was primarily in the 0.54-0.57 range (with an occasional spike to 1.34).

What processes or apps are running when you're at that high idle speed?

IF it hasn't always done this, I'd suggest rolling back to the last system restore point before when it was acting normal.

Eric

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    4 times
    I've tried messing around with this setting but it doesn't have any impact on CPU speed.

It's completely irrelevent what processes and services are running. The laptop is completely idle, with CPU usage in the 1-3% area. Running on battery will result in the CPU not clocking down below 1.2 GHz with it running between 1.4 and 1.9 GHz most of the time. The very second I plug in the power supply it immediately clocks down to 500 MHz. The very second I unplug the power supply it goes back up to 1.2 - 1.9 GHz. No idea how long this has been going on but I have only recently reinstalled Windows 8.1 from scratch after having tried Windows 10 insider preview for a while so it's still pretty new. I guess I'll leave it the way it is since I have no time to restart from scratch again and see whether or not the behavior will change with Windows 10 once it's released later this month. It would be helpful though if some people could try the following:

1. Open task manager
    2. Select the "performance" tab
    3. Close all applications and wait for CPU usage go down to 1-3%
    4. Watch the value displayed underneath "Speed" for about a minute
    5. Unplug / Plug in the power supply and watch the CPU frequency again

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    4 times
    Heureka! I have found both the culprit and the solution

As I expected it's a software issue - it seems that one of the driver packages from ASUS has completely messed up power options. After I was able to figure out how to add Min/Max processor state to power options (Download the .reg files from here or the ZIP file attached to this post, run them, and voila) I noticed that some full-fledged idiot must have been let loose on the power options: minimum processor state for "On battery" was preconfigured to 100% while the setting for "Plugged in" was set correctly to 5%. Which explains the behavior I've noticed: running full speed on battery but immediately clocking down when plugged in.

I have modified the setting accordingly and - surprise, surprise - the CPU now clocks down the way I would expect it to. This should boost battery life significantly

Messed up preset:
    power_options_messedup.png

Fixed:
    power_options_fixed.png
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mj0; 07-10-2015 at 01:21 AM.
    DKL, Grimm, sanyok105 and 1 others like this.

DKL
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    32 times
    Nice find!

Just did this on my T100TA, turns out I'm at what it should be, 5% each.
    Last edited by DKL; 07-10-2015 at 01:41 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    Excellent! I am glad you found a solution!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine was also 5% on both.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    4 times
    Funny thing - after upgrading to Windows 10 my power management settings were once again messed up. This time, the minimum state for battery was ok (5%) yet the minimum state for plugged in was set to 100%, which means the thing didn't clock down when plugged in.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    The switch to Windows 10 has had a few hiccups for me, too. Mouse driver, despite an ASUS pop-up saying it was being updated for Win 10, didn't work. I had to uninstall and re-start the computer and then download the latest driver to get it to work. When I deleted the prior windows installation to free up space, my wifi driver disappeared...until I restarted her again and it was fine. Today, I noticed I now have echo as a power setting where before I only had one power setting.

I guess I'm saying there are some weird things adjusting to Win 10, but I think it's more than worth it...I really like Win10.

Were you able to adjust the setting down for when it was plugged in? I think the default for plugged in tends to be the highest performance possible, because most people want that. I know I do.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    4 times
    I was, the exact same way as before. It's set to 5% Minimum for both battery & plugged in now.
    Funnily enough I didn't have any other problems with the upgrade. Installed the new drivers from the Asus website, the ATK package and that was all I had to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links