Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times

t200ta 64gb, c: drive free space after fresh install

Hi, I just purchased an "open box" T200ta-c1-bl from newegg, it looks spotless and works great.

I haven't installed much although I notice that I only have 9GB remaining on the C: drive. I check and the Windows folder is 24GB.

This doesn't seem normal. I have a 64gb micro SD card as well as a Kingston 120GB SSD in the keyboard dock but I'm concerned about the C: drive being so full.

It appeared to be in OE new condition when I got it, like the OS was just loaded. Should I wipe it and re-install just to be sure? This cant be right, it wouldnt even be possible on a 32gb machine...

Other than that, really like the T200, I sold my T100 to upgrade.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Welcome to the forum

I think this information for the T100 will also apply to the T200, so I think a fresh wipe & re-install is an excellent idea - especially given that this device was "open box". Better to start from a firm foundation - who knows what has been altered or configured on a less than brand new device!

64GB Model
    MMC Total Capacity=59.6GB
    EFI System partition=100MB
    Recover Partition=900MB
    Recovery Image Partition=8GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 49.1GB
    Approximate Windows 8.1 with updates used Capacity Size= 18GB
    Free Space= 31GB

32GB Model
    MMC Total Capacity=29.8GB
    Recover Partition=700MB
    Recovery Image Partition=0GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 28.2 GB
    Approximate Windows 8.1 with updates used Capacity Size= 18GB
    Free Space= 10.2GB
    *32GB model has an additional 8GB ROM that contains Recovery Image

Hope that helps

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    I did a full wipe restore today and my 64GB T200 still only had a free 21GB afterward. Any ideas where the other 10GB might be hiding?

Here's what partition manager reports for my machine

64GB Model

Recover Partition=900MB
    Recovery Image Partition=15.01GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 42.14GB

Free Space= 21GB

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    The difference I can see is that your Recovery Image Partition is 15gb on your T200, whereas on the T100 it is 8gb. Your c: drive available space also seems lower that on the T100 64gb. But I can't tell you why or how?

I would "ask Asus" by registering your device and going through the Asus VIP channel.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    The difference I can see is that your Recovery Image Partition is 15gb on your T200, whereas on the T100 it is 8gb. Your c: drive available space also seems lower that on the T100 64gb. But I can't tell you why or how?

I would "ask Asus" by registering your device and going through the Asus VIP channel.

All the best
    I am registered, I just submitted an inquiry as you suggested. Other than the low drive space (and lack of a function key on the right side of keyboard), I really like this T200TA.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    12 times
    Perhaps you can resize the recovery partition back to the original size. I'm wondering also if perhaps your device is no longer using WIMBOOT, which is a space saver. Essentially, (my understanding) is WIMBOOT uses the recovery partition image file to boot the necessary windows system files, freeing up space on the hard drive these files would ordinarily occupy.

I would try to determine whether there is any free space not being used on the recovery partition and try to resize it if so.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    This article discusses Wimboot. See the comments as well where some have used it on a 64GB T100. Since it's a Windows utility it should work on the T200.

WIMBoot frees up space for Windows tablets with 32GB of storage or less - Liliputing

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    Can any of you other T200ta-C1-BL 64gb owners check your partition manager to see what it looks like compared to mine? I contacted Asus, pretty sure I got overseas "support". First they said that only 21GB remaining after a clean install was not right, then they came back and said it was. Now a few MS patches have installed and I'm down to 13GB free. This can't be right.

These are the partitions on my machine:

Recover Partition=900MB
    Recovery Image Partition=15.01GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 42.14GB

Partition Wizard says there is only 7.3GB used of the 15.01GB allocated to this recovery partition. Is is possible that this is set aside for backups and such? Why would there be 7.5GB of unused recovery partition? Only 47% of the "Recover Partition 900Mb" is used as well.
    Last edited by markcm; 01-23-2015 at 02:25 AM.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markcm View Post
    Hi, I just purchased an "open box" T200ta-c1-bl from newegg, it looks spotless and works great.

I haven't installed much although I notice that I only have 9GB remaining on the C: drive. I check and the Windows folder is 24GB.

This doesn't seem normal. I have a 64gb micro SD card as well as a Kingston 120GB SSD in the keyboard dock but I'm concerned about the C: drive being so full.

It appeared to be in OE new condition when I got it, like the OS was just loaded. Should I wipe it and re-install just to be sure? This cant be right, it wouldnt even be possible on a 32gb machine...

Other than that, really like the T200, I sold my T100 to upgrade.

markcm - Hi we're seeing that you would like some assistance checking on your hard drive space and we would be more than happy to see how best we can help with this. If you're still having this problem please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with full details of the issue and your serial number so that we can better assist you.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    2 times
    I have sent an inquiry to Asus via this support channel.

PS- Let's hope the 64gb version T200 is not using WIMBOOT, considering one of the key points Microsoft makes is that it is not suggested for drives over 32gb and sounds to have other limitations as well.

Here is a quote from the MS site talking about WIMBOOT:

Limitations

WIMBoot is available for client editions of Windows 8.1 with Windows 8.1 Update only (not server versions). All architectures are supported, including amd64, x86, and ARM. Some enterprise deployment tools do not support WIMBoot.

WIMBoot is available only for UEFI-based PCs running in UEFI mode (legacy BIOS-compatibility mode isn't supported).

WIMBoot is supported for solid-state drives and eMMC (Windows HCK compliant) drives. WIMBoot isn't supported on traditional drives that contain rotational components, or on hybrid drives that contain both solid-state and rotational drive components. WIMBoot works by taking advantage of the capability of solid-state drives to access different areas of the hard drive quickly.

It's OK to have a secondary drive attached to the PC, and the secondary drive can contain rotational components. But the WIMBoot image and pointer files must all be located on the primary solid-state or eMMC drive.

Some backup, antivirus, and encryption tools arenít compatible with WIMBoot images.

November 2014: Windows 8.1 Update PCs configured with WIMBoot will not receive November Update (KB3000850).

To save drive space, WIMBoot devices will only receive the following types of updates from Windows Update:

Critical updates that keep the system or programs running.

Security updates and security advisory updates.

Users can still manually download and install updates from the Microsoft Download Center.

WIMBoot is not recommended on systems with fixed internal storage of more than 32GB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links