Thread: Is the t200 right for me?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Is the t200 right for me?

I hope this is the right spot for this topic.

Planning on buying a new machine Friday but having a hard time deciding between the two.

1) Asus transformer t200ta
    11.6" screen, z3795 bay trail with 4gb ram and a 6 4gb ssd.

2) asus 15.6" flip
    i3-4030U processor with 4gb ram and a 500gb hdd

Currently I have a ancient Toshiba with a t4400 processor and 3gb ram so either will be a big upgrade.

I do prefer the ssd out of the box on the t200ta which would have to be upgraded in the flip on the other hand the flip offers the option to upgrade the 4gb ram to 8gb down the road.

Price wise the flip has a little bigger price tag, I'm a webmaster so I'd be using the machine for surfing, editing html, email and light photoshop tasks, I never used anything under a 14" for the mentioned use so not sure if I'd be able to get used to the 11.6" without a external monitor.... I'm also a console gamer but being able to play games such as sims 4, euro truck simulator 2 and train simulator would be a plus.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    If you want to even occasionally game... the Asus flip would be the better choice...

To lay it out for a basic comparison, here are some things to consider...

The Passmark score comparison is...

Intel ATOM Z3795 - Average CPU Mark = 1658 (Assuming the T200 can achieve the max performance, not sure yet as mobile SoCs can be throttled/limited)

vs...

Intel i3-4030U - Average CPU Mark = 2710

Pro's for the T200 is...

1) Full 2 in 1, makes it easier to use as a tablet and still have a fairly decent keyboard that'll still let you use it like a laptop

2) Battery life could be better but still longer than the flip with only a 3 cell battery...

3) Better cameras than the flip has...

4) Better screen and the HD resolution is sharper on the smaller 11.6" screen than the 15.6"... Though that depends on whether you can get the version of the Flip with FHD screen...

5) Connected Standby/Instant On allows you to better stretch the battery life when not using the device and helps keep the system up to date without constantly having it fully on...

6) Completely silent, unless you install a HDD in the Keyboard dock...

7) Never have to worry about internal dust accumulation because it's a sealed fan-less design...

8) 4GB RAM is the highest capacity you'll find for a mobile SoC but it should be more than enough for everyday use...

9) Can be used for light Photoshop work and even some basic video editing as long as you don't use too high bit rate and keep it 720P or below... May help to use something that can make use of Intel Quick Sync...

Cons for the T200...

1) A bit heavy with the dock and tablet combined...

2) The eMMC storage and RAM is non-upgradable... and the performance of the eMMC is barely better than a HDD...

3) You can only add a 2.5" drive to the Keyboard dock but that's like having a built in USB 3.0 drive bay and W8.1 doesn't make it easy to run Metro/Modern apps from anywhere but the "C" drive...

4) Traditional desktop features like Wake On Lan can't be used because this is a Connected Standby enabled device and that means whenever the screen is turned off that they system suspends the desktop and only Modern/Metro side can still function...

5) Free space issues with the main drive being only a 64GB drive and non-User replaceable...

6) May potentially throttle performance if temps go too high...

7) Fewer configuration options...

Pro's for the Asus 15.6" Flip...

1) Noticeably better performance...

2) Can upgrade both the main drive and the RAM...

3) Larger screen is easier to view, with possibly good resolution if you get the FHD screen...

4) 10/100/1000 Ethernet

5) Features like Wake On Lan can actually be used because this isn't a Connected Standby enabled device...

6) All the ports are full size... and probably are better powered, for connecting and powering external peripherals/devices...

7) If you install a SSD it'll perform a lot better than the T200's eMMC and a lot easier to make the main drive than the T200's Keyboard dock drive bay...

8) Keyboard has a num pad...

9) If you upgrade RAM to 8GB you can more easily do things like set up multiple VMs, etc. that could make use of the extra RAM... but the Core i3 model should come with 6GB of RAM already...

Cons for the Asus 15.6" Flip...

1) Bulkier and a bit heavier, making it less mobile... and is harder to use as a tablet... especially, because the Keyboard can never come off...

2) Less battery life... Though, the dedicated charger should let it recharge a lot faster than the T200 can...

3) Harder to keep the keyboard safe and harder to keep clean while in tablet/stand modes...

4) Non-User replaceable battery...

5) VGA webcam...

6) May throttle performance if temps go too high but with active cooling it should recover faster and be harder to over heat, even though it does generate more heat...

There's probably more for both Pros and Cons but that's all I can think of right now...
    eejit and cradle like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    Recently bought and resold an asus x550 lav.
    The screens tnpanel was absolutely terrible. Almost impossible to get a good viewing angle. Gave eyestrain easily.

Also thought the constantly running fan was annoyi g since it had a high tone to it (i have tinnitus so i pick up on these things easily)

And the touchpad was absolutely terrible.
    if u want a laptop with a good touchpad look into acers newer models which have precision touchpads, but if u buy somewhere try to have the option to return it if u dont like it, so u dont end up losing money selling a brandnew product second hand

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beginning View Post
    Recently bought and resold an asus x550 lav.
    The screens tnpanel was absolutely terrible. Almost impossible to get a good viewing angle. Gave eyestrain easily.
    The Asus 15.6" Flip is a Convertible, similar to the Lenovo Yogo series, and not a regular laptop but despite having a touch screen it is using a TN panel screen and viewing angles and contrast aren't the best with this type of screen but are usually okay as long as you look directly at the screen and not at a angle... While neither the T200 or the Flip have ideal screens for outdoor use, especially on sunny days... Though, the T200's IPS screen should be a little easier to read, albeit smaller screen...

While, you could always replace the HDD with a SSD and that will usually also help reduce case fan noise as well as it will have one less part generating significant heat for it to deal with...

I'd be careful with Acer products, though, build quality tends to be low with them...

For example, here's a youtube video from Chippy (UMPCPortal/Ultrabooknews/Chromebookworld) where he not only does an open box on a Acer Aspire E11 but also takes it apart and gives a good look at the internals and it'll give you some idea of how the build quality can be... at least for their laptop models...

Convertibles and 2 in 1's tend to be better built, since they have to be more durable to handle all the constant handling, etc. but there are usually reasons why the Price is as low as it is for Acer products...

Not that Asus products are in anyway perfect or a lot better but the build quality is usually more consistent and generally a bit better, if not a lot better... Like similar configured products from both Asus and Acer tend to have the Asus version performing slightly better because of the better system optimization and design... but you can get buggy and defective systems from both companies...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    Once u go ips u dont wanna go regular tn panel
    especially if the quality of that screen is anything like the one in the asusx550lav which was super dissapointing
    Last edited by beginning; 11-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beginning View Post
    Once u go ips u dont wanna go regular tn panel
    especially if the quality of that screen is anything like the one in the asusx550lav which was super dissapointing
    Perhaps, everyone's tolerance on the matter isn't the same, but in the world of budget priced devices there are always some sort of compromises to deal with and not just a issue of screen quality and case noise levels...

Even IPS screens aren't always great quality and there are other factors like glossy vs matte, screen brightness depending on how good the back lighting is, whether or not the lighting has bleed issues, etc...

Overall, the T200 screen should be noticeably better but it's not a very bright screen and the OP did express concerns about the size of the screen as well... While, it remains to be seen whether the T200 or the Flip has a better touch digitizer...

And of course, there's things lacking in both... like neither has a pen digitizer and that's more important on a smaller screen device as the Flip will mostly be used like a laptop most of the time...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the input, if I go with the flip it would be used as a laptop mainly..... at this point I'm leaning towards the t200 I did also run across the t300la with the i3 and 4gb ram, 6 4gb ssd option that I'll keep in mind during my research just haven't found much info on it so I hope these models im reaearching are available locally before pulling the trigger since I'll be buying online.

The t200 being bulky is something I can deal with for being a budget device I can't expect a super lightweight device either
    Last edited by cradle; 11-10-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cradle View Post
    Thanks for all the input, if I go with the flip it would be used as a laptop mainly..... at this point I'm leaning towards the t200 I did also run across the t300la with the i3 and 4gb ram, 6 4gb ssd option that I'll keep in mind during my research just haven't found much info on it so I hope these models im reaearching are available locally before pulling the trigger since I'll be buying online.

The t200 being bulky is something I can deal with for being a budget device I can't expect a super lightweight device either
    t300 looks great except that for the same price you can buy a macbook air 13 inch model....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Ended up ordering the t200ta, the flip resolution wasn't good enough and the t300la keyboard required to be charged separate plus the lack of easy hdd ruled it out out for me... the t200ta should arrive Thursday

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links