Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Discussion thread for the Asus T200 z3775 model. ALL posts here please.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Yes/no. A lot more cost. LPDDR3 is rather expensive. I mean, not like $50 more, but it probably would add $8-14 to the BOM and the 32GB model is already shaving profitability real close. Probably too complex to go with a seperate 2GB and 4GB models from a manufacturing/marketing perspective.

I'd suspect that Airmont (fall?) will likely have a lot more 4GB models.

MS just started rolling 64-bit conected standby capable builds of Windows. If you read the fine text from MS, it takes a fair amount of work on the OEM side to enable connected standby, especially on 64-bit models. It looks like it might be a full new UEFI required to support it. That means more than just slapping in a 4GB LPDDR3 module (or modules to get to 4GB), check a flag and calling it a day.

That new T100 does make me very interested. I wonder what kind of deals there might be if/when a successor model for the T100 with Airmont comes out. Could be a nice way to buy a very cheap, very awesome tablet if you waited till this winter. Of course Airmont is going to be better and the supporting hardware also might be a fair whack more awesome on a T100 successor.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Problem with providing 4GB of RAM at this time is a combination of availability, cost, size, and power usage...

1) 4GB isn't a widely available part yet, mass production really only started fairly recently, and there are still very few products offering the option... So that effects it price to be a much more premium option than just a higher capacity offering would entail...

2) Mobile devices prioritize minimum costs to help ensure they can both provide a good pricing to consumers but also ensure they're still profitable enough... but moving to premium priced parts quickly makes it harder to justify higher pricing for consumers who largely don't understand that something as simple as 4GB of RAM can cost a lot more than 2GB... Since, most people don't really understand how and why mobile parts are priced as they are and when those costs can vary significantly from one version to the next...

3) One of the main reasons to increase RAM to 4GB is to improve multi-tasking and performance but this means the device will use more power and that will impact battery life and so any gains have to be balanced against the potential that the product can be viewed as having too short a battery life...

4) While Space is also a premium consideration and adding multiple chips effects that consideration as well...

So all four together are the reasons why we aren't seeing 4GB offered except for premium Business Class tablets... and this is unlikely to change much by the end of the year...

Though, there should be more mid range/semi-premium offerings with Airmont based Cherry Trail that should also offer 4GB but 2GB will likely still be a common option through the end of this year...

Mind, Intel is also releasing two platforms... Braswell will be the cost optimized version that will basically replace Bay Trail in all capacities... Offering smaller parts, smaller boards, and other better cost optimizations but the priority for it is lower costs...

While Cherry Trail, which may only be offered for tablets, will be the version optimized for performance and thus the more likely to offer models with 4GB...

Also, keep in mind both are mainly fillers in Intel's road map as they plan to introduce the next gen Goldmont based Broxton/Willow Trail by the end of 2015...

While Broxton/Willow Trail will also be part of the transition from LP-DDR3 to the more energy efficient LP-DDR4 and will much more easily be able to offer higher capacities as well and then we'll start seeing 4GB become as common as 2GB is now...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

T200 keyboard vs T100 ?

Anyone tried the T200 Keyboard?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Was slightly excited that the T200 would be in the middle with a Core processor...but it looks like it is just a blown-up T100.

Which makes me sad. They should have at least gone with a Bay Trail-N processor instead of the -D then gone with an mSATA storage solution and maybe some more ports (like a couple of USB3 dock ports or something).

A higher resolution screen would have been nice too.

768p I honestly think works great in a 10.1" tablet. I think it is less than great in an 11.6" screen (and blows chunks when you are talking 13/14" or bigger). It would have been nice to see a 900p screen at least in an 11.6".

I am still anxiously looking forward to this fall/winter to see what Asus has in store once Airmont hits. I am really hoping they go in for that on a T100 replacement instead of Broxton.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    I would love 11,6inch because 10 inch is a tad bit too small for me,
    but T100 gets me around 9 hours battery... T200 would probably be around 7.

I dont like the tradeoff so much (i'm a battery junkie)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    That is something that perplexes me a little, that supposedly it is the same 31whr battery in the T100 and T200. Unless they've invented some miraculous power savings, I'd assume that the T200 screen at the very least consumes a little more power, which should mean somewhat less run time. Though maybe it isn't a huge difference because they are both 768p displays even if one is 11.6" versus 10.1".

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    That is something that perplexes me a little, that supposedly it is the same 31whr battery in the T100 and T200. Unless they've invented some miraculous power savings, I'd assume that the T200 screen at the very least consumes a little more power, which should mean somewhat less run time. Though maybe it isn't a huge difference because they are both 768p displays even if one is 11.6" versus 10.1".
    Remember that the update also uses a Z3775, while the original T100 uses a Z3740... SDP for example is up to 2.2W instead of 2W, thanks to the higher base and peak max clocks, the 15 percent faster GPU, and that's before you factor the higher power usage of a larger screen...

Though, there should be less of a difference with the updated T100 that will also use the Z3775...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    too bad they stuck with 1366 res on the screen. should have been at least the same res as the omni 10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links