Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times

TP200SA Linux Success!

Greetings all. I noticed a couple of posts here about people wanting to run Linux on their Transformer book. I recently purchased a TP200SA that came with Windows 10 and have successfully switched it to run Fedora 24. I attempted to run Debian, Ubuntu and openSUSE also. Debian would not boot. openSUSE boots, but goes to a blank screen. Ubuntu boots and the Live OS runs, but no WI-FI or touchscreen. For those who want to venture down this road, here's what you need to know.

First & foremost let me stress this, This is not a dual-boot set up, I completely wiped out both Windows 10 and the recovery partition. I don't know how to reinstall/restore Windows 10, I haven't attempted it and I don't intend to, but I imagine restoring it after the recovery partition has been destroyed will be extremely difficult if not impossible short of sending your device back to ASUS for service. In short, if you are a dual-booter or a simply a Linux tourist who may want their Windows 10 back at some point, then this procedure is not for you. I also do not own any other ASUS devices, so I do not know if this procedure will work on other devices. It's also worth mentioning that ASUS will probably not provide you with any free support under your warranty if you fudge this up, you have been warned.

It is also worth mentioning that while Fedora runs well both with GNOME and KDE, automatic rotation of the screen does not work. The screen orientation can be rotated manually from GNOME or KDE. The built in Keyboard and track pad do not disable when the screen is folded over in tablet mode. Beyond that, sound, touchscreen, WI-FI and webcam seem to function. If you do change the screen rotation, you will need to re-calibrate the touchscreen. There is a utility available for this, it can be downloaded from apper.

For those of you who are more adventurous with our mobile devices, here is what I did:

1.) UEFI/Secure boot devices can be very stubborn when it comes to booting to a foreign OS on a USB drive ant the TP200SA is no exception. Go into the UEFI BIOS. You need to disable the following in the UEFI BIOS setup, secure boot, CSM and Fast Boot. If some of these options are grayed out/inaccessible, try entering an administrator password in the BIOS and then rebooting so that you enter the BIOS setup in administrator mode (UEFI Bios can be accessed by pressing F2 when booting BEFORE Windows begins to load.)

2.) Download Fedora 24 Desktop from the Fedora website.

3.) Burn the ISO file to a USB thumb drive (I used an old Sandisk Cruzer micro 8GB thumb drive for this.) CRITICAL: For those unfamiliar with disk images, you can't simply copy the ISO file to the thumb drive, you need a special program for this. Otherwise, your thumb drive won't be bootable. An ISO file is a little like a zip file; it needs to be properly extracted, not simply copied. I have several Linux PC's and I used the SUSE Studio Imagewriter program (Available on openSUSE operating systems. An MS Windows version is available on their website.)

4.) Plug the Fedora thumb drive into a USB port on the Transformer Book and boot/reboot the device.

5.) Once more, press F2 to enter the UEFI BIOS setup and go to the Save & Exit tab. Verify that your thumb drive is listed under Boot Override and select partition 1 under your boot drive. If all is well the Fedora Live OS will begin to boot. Mine went to blank screen for several seconds first, so be patient. Fedora will ask you if you want to install the OS to your hard drive or continue with the Live version. I recommend you continue with the Live version as this will let you take Fedora for a test drive before you install it. You can still undo the changes you made in BIOS and go reboot into Windows at this point if you wish.

6.) ***WARNING*** This is the point of no return. If you like Fedora and wish to continue with the install, first go to the GNOME partition editor and wipe out the windows partitions on the internal eMMC/SSD device.

7.) Find the install option the Fedora welcome screen spoke of and follow the instruction given by the install program.

8.) Reboot & enjoy Fedora!

For those out there who may wish to dual-boot Windows 10 and Fedora, it may be possible to install Fedora to a portable USB hard drive and boot the system from that.
    Last edited by Cainin; 07-01-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Welcome to the forum & thanks for posting your guide.

However, anyone finding this guide should realise that it is for the Asus Transformer Book Flip TP200 & NOT FOR THE T200 - they are completely different machines.

This thread is out of place here, but we'll leave it where it is in the absence of a TP200 section which we do not have.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    0 times
    I installed several Linux distributions on my TP200SA - all the installations work fine except one issue: IIO. Maybe someone can help!
    Just in my UBUNTU installation I was able to see /sys/bus/iio...

In FEDORA, Antergos, Debian I was not able to find the IIO folders.

I need to find the folders to use scripts to turn my screen automatically (sensors).

What might be the problem?

Thanks!
    Joel

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links