Thread: VM VirtualBox on my son's T200TA

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times

VM VirtualBox on my son's T200TA

I bought my young son a T200TA that was on a special promotion price for his birthday , and he loves it , having said that he really wanted a new Macbook Air , but that was sadly out of my single parent budget , and now he's asked me if I can get Mac OS X to run on his new T200TA by using some thing called '' VM VirtualBox ''

Ive checked out a few YouTube videos on the VM VirtualBox and I think ive got some idea on how to give it a try , but before I give it a go I thought I would ask here about getting Mac OS X to run on his new T200TA .

Any advice or comments would be most welcome

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    247 times
    It may work the only caveat is the amount of memory and/or hard disk space available.
    The nice thing about it being a virtual machine is no loss of win 8.1 if it does not work.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    It may work the only caveat is the amount of memory and/or hard disk space available.
    The nice thing about it being a virtual machine is no loss of win 8.1 if it does not work.

Thanks for your comment , its appreciated

good point about the memory / hard disk
    Last edited by william1; 01-11-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times

Booting from a Mac OS X Thumb drive - I'm stuck .

I'm sorry if this may be in the wrong section, but I'm hoping I may get some advice here .

In another thread ( T200 ) I posted this ..

I bought my young son a T200TA that was on a special promotion price for his birthday , and he loves it , having said that he really wanted a new Macbook Air , but that was sadly out of my single parent budget , and now he's asked me if I can get Mac OS X to run on his new T200TA by using some thing called '' VM VirtualBox ''

I did try out VM VirtualBox and it was not so good ( slow and lagging )

My son brought home a USB thumb drive from a friend , and its got this installed on it ....

How to create a portable hackintosh on a usb thumb drive

LINK
    How to Create a Portable Hackintosh on a USB Thumb Drive

I tried out the USB thumb drive on my own Asus laptop and it works very well , I all so tried it out on my neighbours Acer laptop and again it worked OK.

So my son wanted to try out the thumb drive on his new T200TA , so far ive followed this advice from another thread ( Ubuntu ) ..

Step 1: Attach a bootable USB device to the USB port.
    Step 2: Swipe in from the right and then tap Settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Settings.)
    Step 3: Tap or click Change PC Settings.
    Step 4: Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
    Step 5: Under Advanced Startup, tap or click Restart now.
    Step 6: On the Choose an option screen, tap or click Use a device.
    Step 7: On the Troubleshoot screen, tap or click Advanced options.
    Step 8: On the Advanced options screen, tap or click the name of the USB device. It will restart and boot from the USB device.

and Ive managed to disable the secure boot option , but that's as far as I can get ,I'm trying to make the T200TA boot from the USB thumb drive , just to see if the borrowed USB thumb drive with Mac OS X on it will work like it does on the other two laptops I have tried but I can't seem to get the T200TA to boot from the thumbdrive.

I'm missing some thing , but not sure where , any advice please.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    @william1

Two things... firstly, one thread per member per issue is our protocol. Secondly, I honestly don't see how posting a technical question such as you have in a general discussion area for Android tablets is going to get you any help...

My advice would be to "Google it" & find two or three further technical sites that relate to Macs & Asus devices (XDA?) & ask there as well. As a pure guess this may well be something difficult & unique due to the T100/T200 system components/architecture.

Thread merged.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad FHD 10
    Liked
    11 times
    Im not familiar with mac but it might be the same problem as booting ubunu on the t100 or the t200ta yes its 64 bit os but it needs the 32bit boot file to be able to boot? Like i said i like to keep things open source so i dont know too much about the mac os, but its something to check out
    Devices I Currently Work With(all have root)
    Asus MeMO Pad FHD 10 (ME302c - V5.0.21
    Asus Transformer T200 (Win8.1 64-bit / Ubuntu 12.04)
    Samsung Galaxy S-3 (SCH-R530U - U.S.Cellular)
    Huawei Fusion 2 (U8665 - Unlocked)

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times

VM VirtualBox on my son's T200TA

First of all, you can NOT install an official OS X version on non Apple hardware. I'm not sure if the same is true for virtual machines. You will need to Google Hackintosh and iATKOS. iATKOS is a hacked version of OS X, which bypasses the checks for official Apple hardware. iATKOS is available through a bit torrent client. And it is officially illegal, though I doubt you'll be arrested, lol.

I'm not an expert on this by any means. But I did install iATKOS on a Sony Windows tablet a couple years ago. It was with high end hardware, an i7, 8 gb ram, and SDD. It was NOT fast at all. The T200 will certainly be slower.

I say this to let you know the project is NOT for the faint of heart. If your son wants to run Mac software, the best way is with a Mac. I have myself. Be aware of the work involved first, that's all.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    @william1

Two things... firstly, one thread per member per issue is our protocol. Secondly, I honestly don't see how posting a technical question such as you have in a general discussion area for Android tablets is going to get you any help...

My advice would be to "Google it" & find two or three further technical sites that relate to Macs & Asus devices (XDA?) & ask there as well. As a pure guess this may well be something difficult & unique due to the T100/T200 system components/architecture.

Thread merged.

Sorry about my putting a duplicate post on the same subject , please put it down to my still being a newcomer to this forum , I took your advice and spent time researching the subject of getting the USB with Mac OS X , running on my son's new Windows 8.1 T200TA

After some kind help on another forum , ( non English speaking ) I finally managed to get the USB thumb drive running on the T200TA but at first it was a bit unstable , then after following the advice I was given and a bit of tinkering with the OS X options ( VoodooHDA.kext ) , I managed to get the USB thumb drive ( Snow Leopard ) running very smoothly on the T200TA . I then replaced the original internal hard drive for another one and then used a program that was all ready installed on the OS X thumb drive ( Carbon Copy Cloner ) to re format the new internal hard drive and then copy the full OS X from the USB thumb drive over to the new internal hard drive , so I could then remove the USB thumb drive and boot directly from the new internal hard drive. Over all my son seems happy to be able to give the Mac OS X a try , of course the touch screen does not work , but ive been told of a way to get it working , but not yet tried any thing .

Again sorry about the duplicate post .

janner43 likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    No worries William - not a problem at all. Glad you have got it another stage along.

Please post back with your results, I am sure it will be helpful & interesting to others.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links