Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times

Not enough space for windows update

i have a 101ha with 28 gb ssd and 4.36 gb freespace on it.

there is a windows 10 up grade but it requires requires 8 gb.

I have remove all my data and the couple of programs I installed, but all the sapce i can get is 4.36 is there not a version of windows 10 that uses less of this tiny ssd?
    thanks
    Alistair

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adwb View Post
    i have a 101ha with 28 gb ssd and 4.36 gb freespace on it.

there is a windows 10 up grade but it requires requires 8 gb.

I have remove all my data and the couple of programs I installed, but all the sapce i can get is 4.36 is there not a version of windows 10 that uses less of this tiny ssd?
    thanks
    Alistair
    Hi adwb, allow us to apologize for the troubles. You can do a disk cleanup and also clean system files. Here are the steps:

1. Search for Disk cleanup from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.
    2. Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    3. In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.
    4. Select OK.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    Hi adwb, allow us to apologize for the troubles. You can do a disk cleanup and also clean system files. Here are the steps:

1. Search for Disk cleanup from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.
    2. Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
    4. Select OK.
    I have already done that but I still have only 3.89 gb of space
    I have removed the programs I installed as well as data
    I have removed as many of the software that will allow deleting by going to settings_apps_apps and features
    but even though they have been removed I do not gain any more free space. even after I have followed you suggeation and selected every thing

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    Any Windows device with only 32gb of storage space is essentially not up to the task. Windows has been and always is a space hungry monster. One of your options would be to backup all your files and do a full system wipe and clean install using the new version. Then ensure you keep your updates timely and with only 32gb of storage space you simply must keep your disk cleanups regular, methodical and thorough.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times
    At your own responsibility, you can also try these tips from one of our TFF Legends, leeshor...

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Getting and freeing up additional disk space.

So many questions about running out of disk space, this may help. I take zero responsibility for what may happen using these suggestions. Use them wisely.

There is one location on your disk that does not appear by default. That one spot can accumulate a lot of files you may never see. This is how to find and delete them.

1st thing
    This step must come prior to the following step. Go to the control panel. Find "Folder Options" or "File Explorer Options" (depending on the version of Windows you are using). Open that then click the view tab. click on "Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives" (no problem if you don't see that exact verbiage).

Now you will be able to see the previously hidden folder by going to
    C:\users\yourusername\appdata\local\temp. Delete all the files that will delete, (some current ones won't)

2nd thing
    In Windows Explorer right click on your Local C: drive, left click on properties, click the disk cleanup button. For most of you the next screen will present you with yet another disk cleanup button to the left of where the first one was. Click that one. The next screen will look similar to the last screen and will contain a list of things that can be deleted, including logs and possibly some leftover updates. (note that one of the item may be your old Windows if you did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 so be careful if you don't want to lose that). After checking the items to delete and clicking delete files you will need to do a restart of Windows for it to complete. Give it a few minutes o settle down as it' doing some background maintenance.

3rd thing
    Grab a copy of CCleaner. Be certain to double check the defaults so that you don't delete some possibly important cookies and/or passwords. Analyze and clean.

4th thing
    Go to c:\windows\temp and delete those files. There may not be a lot there but every little bit helps.

If you still think something is taking up some space that shouldn't be double check your download folder to make certain you haven't forgotten a download that can be deleted or off-loaded to external storage.

Extreme Caution follows and not all commands may work on your system

You can also execute the following commands at an elevated command prompt:

(Note that the following command should be in your scheduled tasks)
    This command will remove files needed if you need to uninstall service packs. You won’t be able to uninstall any currently installed service packs after running this command:
    DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded

The following command will remove all old versions of every component. You won’t be able to uninstall any currently installed service packs or updates after this completes:
    DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

This is a utility you may want to try. It cleaned up 3.2GB of files on my system.
    PatchCleaner | homedev - software development out of the box I strongly suggest moving those files rather than deleting them.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post

4. Select OK.
    Thank you for all the suggestions .

I have done every thing every one suggesed and still there is only 8 gb of space so I am just going to bin this Asus tablet and buy someting with a decent storage capacity. i only bought it 2 months ago so very dissapointed about that.

I was aware of the small capacity when I bought it but it never occured to me that virtually the entire ssd would be occupied by windows 10 and the Asus installed software.

very dissapointing actually as I like the removable / reversable keyboard

Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Thank you for all the suggestions .

I have done every thing every one suggesed and still there is only 8 gb of space so I am just going to bin this Asus tablet and buy someting with a decent storage capacity. i only bought it 2 months ago so very dissapointed about that.

I was aware of the small capacity when I bought it but it never occured to me that virtually the entire ssd would be occupied by windows 10 and the Asus installed software.

very dissapointing actually as I like the removable / reversable keyboard
    There is also the recovery partition that takes up at least 8 - 10GB. If you are going to remove this partition to create space, we recommend creating a recovery drive first before proceeding.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you , how do I access this recover partition and having copied it how do I then combine that "hidden" partition with the c drive?

Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Thank you , how do I access this recover partition and having copied it how do I then combine that "hidden" partition with the c drive?
    To create the recovery drive follow these steps:

1. In the search bar, type Create, and click on Create a recovery drive under control panel.
    2. Ensure that "Back up system files to the recovery drive" is checked then click Next.
    3. Insert an external flash drive 8GB or more, and click Next.
    4. Everything on the external flash drive will be deleted. Click Create.
    5. The system will start to create the recovery drive. After it's done, click on Finish.

More often than not a third party program would be needed to merge the partitions into one. However, we cannot recommend one and we do apologize.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times
    I have removed all google that I installed and recovered a lot of space but still not enough for the windows 10 update that wants 8 gb !

annoyingly I still keep getting messages that I am running out of memory space and then IE (or edge) closes down even with the spare space on the drive that I now have.

I wonder with this tiny ssd if running on android might not be better?
    Last edited by adwb; 01-29-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links