Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times

New transformer and question about ms office

Hi I am new to this site. My teenage daughter bought a really basic asus transformer with her christmas money. It is a T101H. It was the cheapest thing we could buy as she had limited money. It is for her to do her homework (and maybe some games/browsing). I last bought a computer of any sort about a decade ago and i'm not at all familiar with upgrades in office etc.

So the salesman told me you now have to buy a licence for office and sold us one for 60 pounds. The transformer cost 145 and that was all she had. I had to top up for the ms office licence which I understand is valid for a year. We haven't yet scratched off the code and when we set up the transformer it had basic word and excel on it. It was suggested by a friend that this might be a trial version. Do I actually need the 60 licence for office which neither of us can really afford? Is the version of office that comes with the transformer a permanent thing and maybe a more basic version? I'm going to try the shop today but I guess they'd prefer to sell it than not since it was their advice to buy it in the first place so I wouldn't mind some more impartial advice.

Also because it's so little does a more complex version of office take up too much memory? she's not going to be changing the world or doing complex accounts, just writing homework and sending it to teachers. Thanks in advance.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    If you think its a lot of money, bring it back to the shop.
    Instead you can use "openoffice", google it and its for free.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. After many conversations with the store and tech support it seems we have mobile word which has come with it and has no end date, so is also free! it looks like it will do the job so we are going to run with that and upgrade if necessary later. Useful to know about the free open office, will look into that if the mobile word doesn't suffice.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Welcome to the forum

Sounds to me that your were sold something by the shop staff. I doubt you need it (the 60 MS Office package). I would return it and get a refund. As you have been advised, not only will you likely have access to at least a version of MS Office on your T101, but you will also have access to Open Office & Google Apps, let alone the free web version of Office.

Moved to T101 area from new members.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T101HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by manitz View Post
    Thanks. After many conversations with the store and tech support it seems we have mobile word which has come with it and has no end date, so is also free! it looks like it will do the job so we are going to run with that and upgrade if necessary later. Useful to know about the free open office, will look into that if the mobile word doesn't suffice.
    Microsoft Office Mobile apps are FREE for devices with screen 10.1 or smaller.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links