Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

T100TAM - tap on touchpad stops working after keyboard detached then reattached

Hi All,

I have an Asus T100TAM, running Windows 10 Home version 1709.

I've noticed for a while (well before my recent traumatic upgrade to 1709) that the tap functions of my touchpad stop working when I detach, then re-attach my keyboard. Everything works properly upon reboot so it seems to be some software issue that is resolved when drivers/other software are restarted. However, rebooting is bothersome. My question: is there some simple way to 'restart' Asus smart gesture without rebooting the computer?

More info: the keypad mostly continues to work properly when I reattach the keyboard: 1-finger swipe works to move the pointer around, 2-finger swipe scrolls fine, 3-finger swipe shows desktop (down-swipe), cycles between windows (side-swipe) or shows active windows (up-swipe). The Asus smart-gesture icon in the system tray registers a tap and the Asus smart-gesture settings show that 'select' 'activate' and 'drag' functions (under 'single finger') are checked. However, single tap (to insert cursor) and double tap (to select etc) and tap-then-drag (to select) don't work. The hard-click on the track-pad works fine, though, so this bug is an annoyance rather than a major problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix? Is there an easy way to force the Asus Smart Gesture software to restart (potentially fixing the problem without having to reboot)?

I'm not sure if it is relevant, but my computer is running Asus Smart Gesture 4.0.12 and ATK Package 1.0.0050.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Further to my first posting: In task manager I can kill the following 3 tasks: Asus Smart Gesture Loader, Asus Smart Gesture Helper and Asus Smart Gesture Center. When I do this all smart gesture functions cease (two finger, three finger swipes etc). I restart these by finding and executing 'AsusTPLoader.exe' in C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Smart Gesture\AsTPCenter\x86. Swipe functionality is restored BUT this does not fix the problem where taps on the touchpad do not work.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I mostly use the touchscreen for point/click and the keydock keyboard but when needed for more specific point/click control, my touchpad often fails to work when I try to use it. I've learned that simply disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard/dock will correct the issue.

I've tried to fix it with driver upgrades/downgrades, etc. but it has always remained intermittent.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply. However, in this case it is disconnecting and then reconnecting the keyboard dock that causes the problem, rather than fixes it.

Since a full reboot fixes the problem, all I need to do is find a way to force the specific process controlling the taps to restart. However, I haven't found the process responsible. For example, I've tried disabling and re-enabling 'Asus Touchpad' under Device Manager, but this also fails to correct the tap not working. What process(es) that are running in Task Manager (or elsewhere) control the recognition of taps on the touchpad? Specifically, what driver controls touchpad function?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links