Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Keyboard down. Touchscreen down. What do I even do now?

I bought a T100TAF about a year and a half ago, and it worked fine for about a year. Then the keyboard would occasionally disconnect, and the hinge got kinda loose. When it got worse, I tried everything, cleaning, compressed air, etc, nothing. Opened the dock, managed to put everything back into place, but couldn't open (or separate) the hinge so it was pointless. After that, the keyboard still worked the same.
    In January, the keyboard stopped working altogether. I spent some time without it, and it'd pop back up for a second every week or so. I ordered a new dock, plugged it in, and it didn't work, so I guess it wasn't a hardware issue??? I read online that I may need to uninstall the HiD Keyboard Device driver, reboot, and plug the dock back in, and it'd install the new one. It didn't. I tried to re-download the driver online, but it gave me an error message on setup.
    I installed a program that lets me update my drivers so I could at least get that driver back. I thought it'd be fine because it automatically creates restore points. It found 22 outdated drivers, I only installed 5, (I've already had to factory reset this laptop once for daring to install optional Windows Updates that included Intel drivers that seemed to be faulty). Now the touchscreen doesn't work, and neither does the keyboard.

1) What the heck am I even supposed to do now?
    2) What on earth was up with my keyboard?
    3) Was there in this whole tale some kind of big "oh dear, no, you shouldn't have done that, it was the worst idea ever"? Because I don't feel like I did anything incredibly stupid, but maybe I'm wrong, and if I can avoid doing it again it'd be sweet.
    Last edited by Miacis; 03-23-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Sounds like your keyboard to tablet connector may be faulty. You said you used a new keyboard dock but the issue remained, so I'd say the problem is in the tablet side of the connector. I don't have an easy solution for that.

As far as "the worst idea ever", never ever use one of the supposed "generic driver up-dater programs"... that's opening the door for any number of uninvited issues.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh. Well, that really sucks. Seems even just updating drivers is a bad idea in the first place. Lesson learned.
    I'm kinda surprised why it'd be the connector though, the thing looks new.

What should I do now though? The laptop still boots just fine, but I have no way to directly interface with it. Is there no way to access even factory reset with the side buttons? Should I look for connecting some bluetooth dock/keyboard, or would that require I interface first as well?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Without any type of human interface nor any way to connect an outside device, you pretty much have a brick.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Turns out there is a way to access the factory reset screen by holding Power+VolumeDown, where the touchscreen works just fine. I just didn't know that combination existed. It's back in order now, so I'll be looking for a bluetooth keyboard now. And I'll stay away from drivers.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    SUPER!!
    Now that you've got the touchscreen working, you may be able to get your keydock (keyboard) working by going to ASUS' website and going to support then downloading the proper drivers for your model and Windows version.

https://www.asus.com/us/2-in-1-PCs/A...Desk_Download/

Installing the various drivers from there is not necessarily straight forward depending on the specific driver / driver set but there is a lot of info on these forums which may help you with that.

Good luck getting your keydock working.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links