Thread: USB 3.0 port & keyboard not working properly

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation USB 3.0 port & keyboard not working properly

A few weeks ago, the USB port of my T100TA keeps on somehow failing; I go to the device manager, and it says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". I usually remove the tablet from the keyboard dock and put it back in place to temporarily fix the problem (the port stops working again at some point so I have to remove and replace the tablet again)--- today, things got worse; the trackpad got broken (it was slightly lifted off, and my clumsy, curious self accidentally caused it to be removed from the dock (a thin, wide white cable got detached from a part of the trackpad)--- so I was forced to resort to always using a USB mouse. However, a few hours later, the keyboard starting malfunctioning (the l and - keys stopped working for a while; I removed the tablet for an hour and returned it to the dock, which seemingly solved the problem) : every time I remove and reattach the tablet to the dock, it'll take around 15 seconds before the keyboard resumes working (before the problems, the keyboard responded instantly). Worse, the USB 3.0 port doesn't work anymore; the Device Descriptor Request Failed error keeps on reoccuring--- since my trackpad is broken, and any USB device won't work, the only way I could work on my laptop is by either using the touchscreen with the keyboard, or simply just the keyboard to operate.

How may I solve this problem?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Use the USB charging port with OTG cable.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I've read a bunch of threads that suggest using OTG cables to replace the port, too. Thanks

However, the problem's also happening to the keyboard now--- this morning I started the laptop (the usb mouse was working) and found that the keyboard was working--- so again I had to remove and reattach the tablet (Several times) in order to have both the keyboard and the usb mouse working (note: the 500 GB HDD is unaffected by the problem). Is there any way to prevent the problem from occuring?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BanTategi View Post
    ...Is there any way to prevent the problem from occuring?
    About all you can try is cleaning the contacts between the keyboard & tablet. Use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (Walmart) & a cotton swab.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
    About all you can try is cleaning the contacts between the keyboard & tablet. Use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (Walmart) & a cotton swab.
    Would there be any alternatives for the CRC QD electronic cleaner?

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    247 times
    You could try using alcohol from a hardware store. Do not use from a pharmacy as that has oil also.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Keyboard dock malfunctioning

Last time, i posted a thread about the USB 3.0 port and the physical keyboard having issues (randomly disconnecting then reconnecting from the tablet--sometimes either of the two (or both) completely stops working and will only work again once the tablet is removed then reattached, which has been very annoying). The replies suggested that I clean the contacts with an electronics cleaner, and so I did.

But there's one thing I forgot to mention. I bring the laptop to school regularly for our research class--- there's where my T100TA received an unpleasant amount of fall damage. A lot of clumsy hands in our room, including mine--- the laptop slid off the arm chair several times(which made me realize the faulty rubber studs under the keyboard dock, which are rendered useless when they are lifted up, when the tablet/screen is inclined).

The last time it fell, around the first week of March, the touchscreen broke. That's also when the keyboard dock started malfunctioning. I cleaned it up again using the electronics cleaner (which I found here at home). However, the problem seemed to persist; the USB mouse (and the keyboard, or even the HDD) keep on randomly disconnecting then reconnecting to the tablet---this has led to a lot of corrupted data, lost work, and OS crashes.

Could those falls somehow have damaged the keyboard dock? The next school year is starting this June 5th, and we'll be having to use our laptops for research class again. A schoolmate recommended that I send my T100TA to a local ASUS store for repairs, but I don't think it's affordable at the moment. Can there be any other way around the problem?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    So let me get this right...
    You abuse your machine carelessly to the extent of dropping it on the floor several times.
    You try to blame "faulty rubber studs under the dock" for your actions
    You break the screen
    Attempt an inept DIY fix
    Then you wonder if dropping & breaking the machine might have broken the dock????

Now, you not only fail to post in your own thread, but start TWO new identical threads breaching one of our main forum rules.

My advice, if you are that broke (which I doubt), buy a cheap 10" Android tablet & a cheap bluetooth keyboard & use one of the multiple options of MS Office apps. Should cost you less than $80. Your T100 is way beyond any sort of economical repair.

One member, one subject per thread
    Thread merged
    Cross posted thread deleted

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BanTategi View Post
    Could those falls somehow have damaged the keyboard dock?
    Absolutely. My own dock (different transformer though) broke down, after one too many drops to the floor. if I need a kbd now I use a bluetooth keyboard.
    janner43 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links