Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times

Some keyboard keys not working

Some of the keys on my T100 keyboard have stopped working (all the time). I've checked the docking contacts and all seems clean but blew them out anyway. The unit is out of warranty so service by Asus is probably not a good option. Anything an end user can do? Using Windows 10. The keys shown below in red do not work:

` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - =
    Q W E R T Y U I O P [ ] \
    A S D F G H J K L ; '
    Z X C V B N M , . /

The USB port and the touchpad work.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    It looks like a hardware problem but AutoHotKey (AHK) can help you to continue typing until you get the keyboard fixed. I have given a working example script below you can choose other keys but I think this would be easy to remember.
    After installing AHK an example script will appear on screen, copy then paste the following script into that and name it whatever you like (it works just like Notepad)
    Note: The following is for typing only and should work in all text situations in all software. Put simply, it works like a spellchecker correcting the 'mistake' of 4> by replacing it with 5 etc
    Code:
    ::4>::5
    ::w>::e
    ::t<::r
    ::s>::d
    ::g<::f
    ::g>::h
    ::k<::j
    ::x<::z
    ::c>::v
    To use AHK for keyboard shortcuts is more complicated but still possible so if there are some keyboard shortcuts you must have you can assign them to different keys but remember they will work in all software which might cause conflicts. Following is an example of replacing keyboard shortcuts
    Note:
    # = Windows key in AHK code. The following means pressing the Windows key and f5 together equals pressing the Windows key and 5 together. This would select the 5th item on the TaskBar
    ^ = ctrl key in AHK code. The following means pressing the Windows key and \ together equals pressing the ctrl key and v together. This would paste.
    Code:
    #f5::Send, #5
    #\::Send, ^v
    To automatically launch the script at Windows startup do the following. Let's assume you called the script AHK_Keyboard
    Place AHK_Keyboard script anywhere you want
    Right click on AHK_Keyboard script (the whole script not just the text) and select Copy
    Go to the hidden folder
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    Right click on a vacant space in the folder and select Paste shortcut

More info @ List of AHK key codes etc
    Help with AHK scripts @ AHK forum

Good luck
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 11-12-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    AHK is certainly an interesting solution (?) to a partially inoperative keyboard. Since the T100 is basically a tablet, using the on-screen keyboard is an easier solution for me.

Checking on-line, I found a U-Tube video showing repair of a loose ribbon connector within the keyboard, but that did not turn out to be the problem. Another solution could be to buy a second-hand keyboard on EBay for $40, but that won't solve the problem if it's the connector in the tablet. I also see that you can buy a replacement keyboard to install in the dock from China for $18, which wouldn't work if the problem is the docking connection.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links